RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just became a rifle owner.

Just became a rifle owner.

This morning I picked up a very nice used Savage Axis in 223 with a Konus 3x9 scope and nice soft rifle case. While doing a quick search for the serial number it appears the letter suffix makes it a very late 2018 or a 2019 model. The seller tells me he has put less than 20 rounds thru it and that he bought it for coyote hunting then lost interest. He did also show me his favorite 6.5 Creedmoor and told a few stories so I kind of believe him on the round count. I could not however determine which model that scope is.

My thoughts are this will be an excellent entry level gun, inexpensive to shoot and should shoot 100/200yds easily and the 300 yard when I'm feeling BOLD!

Awesome, congratulations. I've always been more into handguns, but have had a few rifles. I got two at present, a savage 110 in 30-06 and a winchester 94 30-30. Not counting a beater marlin model 60.

Boolit Master

Awesome congrats i have an axis in .223 too. I bought one with the walnut stock. I love it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Yeah I have always been a pistol shooter until a few months ago when I started working at the outdoor rifle range as a range officer. Those guys at the 300yd range have corrupted me!

Boolit Master
    got one to,havent fired it yet, seesm like a good deal tho.

Banned

Congrats, I have two, one in 30-06 and one in 6.5 Creedmoor. I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.

Boolit Master
    Excellent. 223 is a fun cast bullet caliber in addition to being less expensive to reload than some others.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I, too, have an Axis in. 223. It's my go to varmint rifle. Glad I bought it.

Boolit Master
    We see a lot of Savage Axis rifles in our indoor shooting range. As a range safety officer, I've learned a couple things about them. First, the synthetic stock isn't very rigid. For best accuracy, don't place the front rest near the end of the fore end. Secondly, don't let the barrel get hot. Your groups will change point of impact and open up with a hot barrel. Follow those two cautions, and a skilled shooter can interlock five bullet holes at 100 meters quite consistently.

Boolit Master
    My Axis in .223 is a tack driver, 0.5MOA. With 77gn SMK's I have shot it out to 1000yd with decent accuracy (2MOA). At 600yd it is an MOA rifle (but a lot of that is just me). I practice by shooting soda cans at 300 and 400yd.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    We see a lot of Savage Axis rifles in our indoor shooting range. As a range safety officer, I've learned a couple things about them. .
    Yes we see a lot of Savage rifles of many models here at the range that I am working as an RO; https://www.mcmillersportscenter.com/ ... We also see some very custom Bench rifles coming into the 300yd range daily. From a very custom 17cal center fire to a 300WSSM. Thursday while there I seen my first custom 338 Lapua and just before that was a Nosler .26 that he is telling me runs about 3500fps. That stuff is absolutely spine tingling!

A .223 bolt action is a great first rifle. Easy and inexpensive to shoot, great for hunting varmints and works for close range deer( if legal in your state). Congratulations on your new rifle- it’s gonna be fun.

Spent a lot of time jaw jacking with the shooters on the 300yd range and what to get, where to start. One even suggested the 204 Ruger until I looked at new purchase prices. Many talked of the 6mm or the 6.5 caliber guns but was also warned of buying used with a shot out barrel. Some suggested the 308 but I didn't think I needed anything that big to kill paper. Maybe if I really get into this at a later date I may look for a larger caliber with a heavy barrel.

For now I just want to enjoy what I have and learn the basics of good rifle marksmanship. W/O spending a fortune!

Boolit Master
    .223 is a fun cartridge cheap to load, no recoil,accurate .whats not to like?

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Mine was not made better by the plastic stock that came with it . Things began looking up when I put a laminate stock on it though . It groups very well now , night and day difference from what it did before .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I have one 223, it’s a self loader. A #3 Ruger / 10x scope. 223 will do 300yds easy. Shot lots of groundhogs in the head at 300yds.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have an Axis in 7-08. It is even uglier than my 110s and my model 11(well not really because it is the camo stock version and I like the looks of it.) but I expect, like most every Savage I have ever come in contact with, it will shoot better than I can.

Boolit Master

Congrats !!!
    Excellent rifle and Caliper to play with.

Boolit Master
    .223: lots of cheap brass to load, very little recoil, a small powder appetite and accurate!

Savages: Not so much to look at but a real barn burner to “look through”!

The last time I checked rifles were designed to be fired (looked through) as opposed to being gazed at!

My .02 worth

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    .223: lots of cheap brass to load, very little recoil, a small powder appetite and accurate!

Savages: Not so much to look at but a real barn burner to “look through”!
    Working at a range the brass is free, just bend over and pick it up or sweep it off the tables.

Yes, not so much worried about looks, but will it shoot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast