Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 45-70 405gr HB....

45-70 405gr HB....

Hey guys, I bought a new 45-70 1871 Buffalo Classic w/32" barrel. I can't find much as to the loads and pressures for this rifle. I bought the Lee 405 grain hollow base bullet. Cast about a 100 or so the other day. Sized them down to .459. I bought some IMR-3031. Loaded some up w/42 grains and shot ok. I feel the loads were pertty lite my self. I was hoping some of you could throw some load info my way. Also will be loading these with black powder over time. Thanks all. Bob

I always stick with "trap door" level loads for my Buffalo Classic. While it can handle any standard (store bought) 45-70 load, my shoulder prefers trap door levels.
    I had good luck with the hollow base 405 grainer. I think that is the mold I would buy when i get a round to it.

Boolit Master
    I use the 405HB with good results in the BC with a 63g WC860/872 26gr SR4759, haven't tried it with a heavy load those are heavy enough. If there is to mush trash with the WC powders lower it by three grains and put three grains of 3031 in over the primer.
    I do not size the boolit at all and use LLA

Boolit Buddy
    My friend has the H&R BC and I cast the Lee 405HB for him. He loads them over 65gr. 2F GOEX, powder compressed .550 below case mouth and boolit seated on powder without wad. I pan lube them with my own BPCR lube concoction and size to .459 for the H&R.

charlie