Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38 s&w

38 s&w

Anyone load shot for the 38 S&W? Looking load data and component ideas.

BB

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my S&W Victory Model .38 S&W I use the Speer shot capsules with 2.7 grains of Bullseye, seated to 1.20" OAL and light taper crimp using a 9mm taper crimp die.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    If it is for a Webley they won't work. The cylinder is about the length of a 357 case. You will have to load without the Speer capsule.

Boolit Grand Master
    I made some for my father-in-law's Iver Johnson using the Speer capsules, number 9 shot and 2.5 grains of Bullseye. He killed a couple of rattlers stone dead with them.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    A buddy asked me if I loaded 38 S&W; so I got in a set of dies, checked Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers and loaded up some with 2.3 grains of Bullseye, and mixed boolits - 148 grain HBWC's and pulled 38 Special lead round nose, and swaged Speer swc's. Fixing to try some of the Speer capsules.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38S&W loads.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	271355
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    A buddy asked me if I loaded 38 S&W; so I got in a set of dies, checked Hatcher's Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers and loaded up some with 2.3 grains of Bullseye, and mixed boolits - 148 grain HBWC's and pulled 38 Special lead round nose, and swaged Speer swc's. Fixing to try some of the Speer capsules.
    Decades ago, I had one of the Iver Johnson break-tops in .38S&W, the Speer shot capsules worked nicely with small shot. You'll probably want to do some test loads to see what works best for you. I think mine were 3 grains of Bullseye, but it's been a long time, and none of my load data from then has survived. I think if I were to do it again, I'd start at 1.5 grains, and work up by tenths.
    Last edited by Scrounge; 11-13-2020 at 12:10 PM. Reason: remove photo

Boolit Master
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

This post is a life saver,I got a Iver Johnson safety hammerless a couple weeks ago and finding bullets seems to be a task where I am. So some shot shells seem to be a great idea for now.

Boolit Master
    I have several .38 S&W handguns, but never loaded shot shells for any. The case is so short that the payload would be smaller than for the .38 Special or .357 for which I do load rattler loads. Here in snake country in rural PA, my loads are Unique, a gas check cup up a dose of #6 or #7.5 shot, a gas check cup down and a roll crimp over the case mouth.

ALWAYS wear eye protection when firing snake loads! The fine shot will bounce back from hard ground or rocks and can cause injury!

Adam