Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spotting scope tripod

Boolit Master
    searach is over ; i bought on e-bay a used manfrotto #3051 with a bogen #501 fluid top. $170.00 shipped. did have to pay nevada(i think) sales tax all that is missing is the quick release for the top. that i think can be had for less than $20.00. i will search one out next week. life is good

Here is the Cadillac of Spotting Scope Tripods. Adjustable for height, from the ground to 5'+ high. Very high quality machined parts and it breaks down into a Canvas Bag. Excellent Design and Execution!

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...nd-Accessories

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-03-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

The Highpower type scope stands are great if you need to use the scope while standing, sitting, prone fire or scoring while sitting. They work very well for that propose. The down side is they are harder to get on target than the camera type heads found on most tripods. When I shoot Highpower I use that type of stand. For most other applications use a camera conventional type tripod.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'm another Bogen/Manfrotto tripod user. I also have a Manfrotto ball head which works very well for photography. However for really steady spotting scope use, I have an old Vivitar tripod with a gimble mount. That tripod, my 80mm Pentax scope and I just came in from looking at Jupiter and its 4 largest moons and Saturn and its ring from my backyard. Both are visible in the southern sky .

Boolit Master
    If you want to try a neat project,try building your own scope mount.Many years ago a friend needed a quality mount for his spotting scope.His Father built one for him.
    His Father was a master machinest.Instead of a plain pan head mount and tripod he went all out on the build.Rack and pinion for leg adjustment and for right/left and up and down
    he did travers and elevation just like an MG mount.
    He is still using that setup to this day.40 some years later.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Attachment 265563I bought one of these from Champions Choice over 25 years ago. Very rugged and stable.
    I bought this same unit 20 years ago and is an excellent choice for whatever you want it for. It does require tweeking, adjusting and dubbing with to make it work. However, there is no situation where I couldn't make it work for me. From prone, to sitting and standing. Rain, wind and bright sunlight it always worked. Never got sanctioned at a match for gumming up the event.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

OP... you mentioned wanting a quick release for your spotting scope. This is what I use for my scope and my various cameras and lens. It’s solid and works great. Most all tripods, especially Bogen/Manfrotto use a standard screw mount.

Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Mold
    To be honest, if you don't care about it, you can by the cheapest tripod on ebay or amazon and that's all. Otherwise, I can tell you that the tripods market is super various and it will be very hard to chose the perfect one. Even pros written special articles about this stuff and I would say it is really helpful. You can check here https://ballachy.com/best-spotting-scope-tripod. I bought my first one, Vortex Optics High Country Tripod , a really good one and the price is decent. It perfectly fits all the scopes and it also stands strong on all the surfaces. Everything is up to you, hope you'll take the right decision!
    Last edited by BolysVnss; 04-19-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by phonejack View Post
    Attachment 265563I bought one of these from Champions Choice over 25 years ago. Very rugged and stable.
    That is exactly the setup I use with my Kowa, although I have a 5# counterwt attached to the low end of the shaft; ground is too hard here for a spike. CC sells both.

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing to add, posting so I can easily follow along. Interested in a good tripod myself.

Boolit Master
    I was a professional videographer for the15 years prior to my retirement. I had 3 Bogan/Manfrotto tripods with fluid heads. These were rated for a 25 pound camera. I use one now for my spotting scope. After demanding a rock solid yet smooth to adjust tripod for my work I couldn't settle for less with my spotting scope. Everyone who has tried mine has said "Wow". I sold one of mine be to a friend and I'm keeping another for a spare.

Boolit Buddy
    To the OP.Glad to see you got a good tripod.It’s amazing how much better your spotting scope is with a good tripod.

Boolit Master
    the only issue with my tripod is that it weights 15 pounds

Boolit Master

Look at the BOG DEATHGRIP its designed to mount a rifle on. But, the clamping cradle can also easily hold cameras, Binoculars, or I would imagine a spotting scope with a Deathgrip. Got mine for 120ish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12