RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: My brand new load master had smiles on the primer and I fixed it

Boolit Buddy

My brand new load master had smiles on the primer and I fixed it

Brand new Lee Load Master

I'm almost too lazy to even post this but I figure it will help someone. But sorry I am definitely too lazy to take it all apart and take pics. And yes others have posted a fix for this somewhere I'm sure.

If you get a "smile" on your primers (I noticed mine on large primers), there is an easy fix.

First, lets ID what a smile is. After seating the primer, you inspect it, and notice that it seems to have a crescent, half moon, circular sort of impression on it. Like part of it got smashed.

On the Lee LoadMaster, the piston that drives the primer into the pocket is pushed upwards by a lever. This lever is the same one that the adjustable bolt for primer depth impacts.

Basically this lever is stamped steel, and the edges are not flat, because its stamped. So, this means that this non-flat edge, when pushing up on the piston that seats the primer, does not push straight up on it but tilts it. So you get an impression that is tilted (the smile).

To fix it, remove the primer parts, including the lever. The lever pivots on a special screw but its not hard to remove, just be gentle.

Then take a FINE file and carefully deburr/flatten both ends of the lever where it makes contact with the bolt and and piston. Only do it enough to remove the sharp edge or burr, and maintain the shape.

Reinstall and grease things very lightly (per the LEE manual)

You may also want to file down the surface of the adjustment bolt, since it probably has raised letters and this can contribute to putting non-normal forces on the lever.

This essentially eliminated the smiles on mine.

There is still slop in the system (the lever pivot has slop, the piston has slop in its cylinder), but this seemed to resolve things. Probably because the system tends to want to push the primer in straight.

Edit: I like my load master and this was an easy fix.

Boolit Master
    Good job , thanks for posting .

Boolit Mold
    I registered here just to say thanks. After hours of frustration and trying different different things this is what finally worked for me. With large primers, I was getting half moons about every 10th primer. Tried aligning the carrier, repeatedly cleaning everything, shimming the plastic primer feeder, re-reaming the primer pockets, etc. Finally took off the primer arm and noticed it had a lip on one side of the face that articulates with the primer pin. I think it is important that this face be perpendicular with the side. If not, it causes the primer pin to push to one side rather than straight up. I placed the arm flat on the reloading benchtop with the face just over the edge. Used a file to make the face flat and perpendicular. Put everything back together and seems to be working great!

Boolit Master

I get slivers of lead in my primer ram cup sometimes. They give the crescent indent on the primers sometimes.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.