Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersPBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: non corrosive primer compound question

Boolit Mold

non corrosive primer compound question

I have done a lot of reading on how to refill used primers in light of the chronic nationwide shortage of small pistol primers. I have everything I need to produce the H48 compound shown in Marshall Thompson's updated (2019) primer course manual. I would be using this H48 primer compound in primers used in 9mm ammo to be used in a Taurus G2C, which I think is a gun that would be very easy to clean.

But I am more interested in the non-corrosive Lead Nitratohypophosphite primer also shown in Marshall's book. I have sourced all the ingredients for this (I think) except one - calcium disilicide. My question is how important such an ingredient is, and whether something else - like glass powder or calcium silicate - could be used in its stead. I would appreciate comments on this.

I found sodium hypophosphite, on ebay - but that may turn out to be shady...

Boolit Buddy
    I have worked with H-48 and FA-42 primer mixes. I used them for home made percussion caps. Powerful and works well with pyrodex. I was never brave enough to do any non-corrosive mixes. To be safe you should consider mixing using water . It can't go off while wet. Use small batches. I mix only enough to make 20 to 30 percussion caps at a time. Do not mix up the powder in advance to store away. That's asking for trouble.
    n.h.schmidt

G. Frost has a very thorough description of the various primer mixtures in his book "Ammunition Making"
    The book deals with every aspect of handgun ammunition, and makes for an interesting read.
    It can be downloaded for free here:

https://archive.org/details/Ammuniti...e/n15/mode/2up
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    G. Frost has a very thorough description of the various primer mixtures in his book "Ammunition Making"
    The book deals with every aspect of handgun ammunition, and makes for an interesting read.
    It can be downloaded for free here:

https://archive.org/details/Ammuniti...e/n15/mode/2up
    Thanks for the link to the book - I have downloaded a copy. The section on primers is very useful. Unfortunately, though, it does not tell me much about calcium disilicide.

Boolit Mold
    I see in Frost's book that calcium disilicide is listed as a fuel in the primer mix. I wonder if I could substitute a different fuel, such as antimony sulfide an/or powdered aluminum?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have done a lot of reading on how to refill used primers in light of the chronic nationwide shortage of small pistol primers.
    What are you going to use for for anvils?
    A small metal block, inside a Boxer primer, against which the blow of the firing pin causes the priming compound to be pinched sharply---and thus detonated. In the Berdan system, the anvil is built into the cartridge case's primer pocket.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    What are you going to use for for anvils?
    A small metal block, inside a Boxer primer, against which the blow of the firing pin causes the priming compound to be pinched sharply---and thus detonated. In the Berdan system, the anvil is built into the cartridge case's primer pocket.
    I was assuming I would re-use the original anvils in the primers from the cartridges that I have de-primed. They look intact. The Marshall Thompson book suggests cleaning them in a rock tumbler. I don't know how many times I will be able to re-use them.
    Last edited by newcan1; 07-20-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post

But I am more interested in the non-corrosive Lead Nitratohypophosphite primer also shown in Marshall's book. I have sourced all the ingredients for this (I think) except one - calcium disilicide. My question is how important such an ingredient is, and whether something else - like glass powder or calcium silicate - could be used in its stead. I would appreciate comments on this.
    You might contact Mark Wilson at AardvarkReloading.com and ask him to relay the question to Marshall Thompson.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    You might contact Mark Wilson at AardvarkReloading.com and ask him to relay the question to Marshall Thompson.
    Thanks for the suggestion -- I will probably do that!

UPDATE: Just e-mailed him!
    Last edited by newcan1; 07-20-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Mold
    By way of update, I have been in contact with Mark Wilson and Marshall Thompson, and they have both been very helpful - both outstanding individuals. So thanks to Ofitg for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    By way of update, I have been in contact with Mark Wilson and Marshall Thompson, and they have both been very helpful - both outstanding individuals. So thanks to Ofitg for the suggestion!
    You're welcome, and good luck reloading those Small Pistol primers!
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I used antimony sulfide in place of the calcium disulicide.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    I used antimony sulfide in place of the calcium disulicide.
    I am glad to hear that. Marshall suggested that they should be interchangeable. Did you vary the quantity, or just use the same weight?

Boolit Mold
    I know this is an old thread, but were any updates posted about results on this effort? Primers are even more impossible to find now, so I'm on the same path...

Boolit Master

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Reviving another thread here....LOL Does anyone know Mark's email/contact info at Aardvarkreloading? Or Marshall? TIA OK NM, forgot about the MeWe.com
    Last edited by Dieselhorses; 09-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Several chemical supply houses list calcium disilicide at roughly a dollar a gram and minimum order of 100 grams plus shipping.
    Some list it for more, but none that I checked, sell it for less than $100/100 gram bottle.
    If I remember, I'll check the campus stores for it. I have to do that while on campus.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Several chemical supply houses list calcium disilicide at roughly a dollar a gram and minimum order of 100 grams plus shipping.
    Some list it for more, but none that I checked, sell it for less than $100/100 gram bottle.
    If I remember, I'll check the campus stores for it. I have to do that while on campus.
    I’m just going the EPH-20/25 route, much easier and non-corrosive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Prolly the best way is to join the primer reloading group on MeWe...
    Here is Mark's site:
    https://aardvarkreloading.com/

Boolit Master

After much research, deliberation and mustering up the initiative, I have successfully remanufactured my used small pistol primers! (Using EPH-20 recipe). Once you get through the "synthesis" to make the lead hypophosphite from the lead nitrate and sodium hypophosphite, it's smooth sailing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eph-20.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	290337