Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .510 wildcat, big boolits real quietly.

Boolit Grand Master

We use those NOE expanders. For lead slug loading a great step forward.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks! I think I am going to try the NOE plug and the lee die out. I like most stuff I use from Lee.

Boolit Mold
    Well, things have been moving along slowly but surely! My suppressor is in the safe (vers 50), the reamer was made by PTG, a savage long action and a magnum sized bolt head are on hand, and I just picked up my barrel! Just need to finish up my move from montana back to north carolina and then I can get everything screwed together.

I decided to go with a chambering that PTG called 500 razorback short, it is pretty much a remington ultra mag chopped before the shoulder and loaded with a .510 projectile.

I'm trying to find a mold that will cast something around the 650gr range to match with the API pulls I have, any suggestions? If anyone has something like that sitting around that they'd like to sell, please let me know.

Once I get this thing put together, I'll get some pictures up.

Boolit Master

What are the specs of the razorback short reamer? i am having problems with chambering unless i turn case necks to about 0.009". I am thinking about rechambering and decreasing the taper to the case mouth. Just havent done it yet. .

Boolit Mold
    BK7saum, Here is the reamer print that I got from PTG, let me know if that helps.

Boolit Master

Thanks. It does help. The 0.531 chamber mouth measurement is my problem. If i use a bullet of 0.512" diameter, that only gives me ~0.018" for two case walls. My RUM brass at the shoulder are about 0.017 per case wall or 0.017x2=0.034" total.

i am turning my case necks from 0.017" to about 0.0085" in order to chamber my cast bullets. i would like to decrease my taper a little in order to turn my cases a little less. I know i cannot avoid neck turning altogether, but 0.085" is getting really thin and fragile.

Just something to consider as you go down this road. i have made about 20 cases so far, but have about 600 RP and Norma RUM brass stashed for hard times and and upcoming 300 RUM build.

Boolit Mold
    What powder and bullet combos have you been using, bk7saum?

Boolit Master

i have loaded a MP 512-640 at 440 grains with gas check to about 2000 fps with H4198. I have started with trailboss for a subsonic MP 512-640 hollowpoint at 525 grains. And i have shot a few BMG API bullets at about 1700 fps with H4198. The APIs will flash and almost penetrate 3/4" mild steel. The 440 flat nose at 2000 fps is not bobcat friendly. i was hoping for a .50 cal pass through which did not happen.

I hope to shoot a deer or two this year with either the 440 or subsonic 525 hollowpoint. I think an API on a big boar would be interesting but would probably act like an fmj and pass right through.

But H4198 and trailboss are all ive played with at this point.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, I am working on having a friend run some quickload calculations and I will post the various powder recommendations here when its done. I am currently working with pulled API's for my jacketed and the lee 500 grain 50-70 mold for my cast stuff.

Also, as I continue to work on this project I may go the route you have and have my chamber re-reamed. It is disappointing, but i have to remind myself that atleast it is on the tight side and not too large. You can always cut, but adding it difficult. Perhaps if this is something we pursue, we can split the cost of the reamer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have single point lathe cut chambers for something like this. Saves a lot of money

Boolit Mold
    Another update:

Project has gotten on the rocks as of lately. It turns out that the chamber reamer I had made is not really going to work for me. This being my first shot at a wildcat, I really didn't know what I need to look for in the drawing and long story short, my chamber at the case mouth is just to narrow.
    My goal is to not have to do any neck turning and right now the chamber is just too tight.

I am considering either getting a new reamer made to the dimensions I want or having a smith cut the chamber to my specs with a boring bar. If i order the reamer I think i should be able to just run it in nice and easy by hand like I have done with pull through reamers on short reamed barrels in the past, but having another reamer made would be an expensive proposition and time consuming. On the other hand, I don't know a smith or machinist would i trust enough locally to cut the chamber as this is the last chance at getting this thing right and if it is wrong then I am **** outta luck.

What say you?

Also, I believe I will be getting rid of the reamer soon so if anyone is interested I'd probably give it away. certainly would trade it towards someone who could cut my chamber to where it needs to be.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Get with John Taylor on the forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123