Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: R. Lee Ermy

Boolit Master

R. Lee Ermy

Well the gunny was at it again on thursday. The history channel did a mail call section about the knob creek machine gun shoot in kentucky. Yee Hah, now thats what I call fun. All sortsa goodies that go bang very fast. Especially liked the G.E Minigun. Pile of brass in one spot and a pile of links in another. Wouldn't you like to be a brass scrounger there. Frank

In Remebrance

My kids love to watch me watch "Mail call". Every time the Gunny comes on for the commercial break I start laughing. Memories of P.I. I guess. There is a guy that found his niche for sure.

HOO-RAH!!! Me too! I'm a big Gunny fan!
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Mold
    My son loves to watch the GUNNY.He likes to watch him shoot the enemy watermelons.He will sit right there with me and laugh till his sides hurt,except my son shoots enemy pop bottles with his Red Rider.He's seven years old and can't get enough shooting or mail call,what a kid.Walt

Boolit Master
    Ummm, almost hate to ask. What is GUNNY? I guess I don't watch enough tv. Actually, I don't watch tv. sundog

anachronism
    Sundog, sundog, sundog... I never thought I ever have to explain Gunney Ermey to anone, so I'll let him tell you himself. http://www.rleeermey.com/

"I am Gunnery Sargent Hartman, your senior drill instructor.
    You will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand me?"

Boolit Master
    Hooooah! sundog

Boolit Master
    IF..you have highspeed access try this............

www.redstararms.com/KnobCreek.wmv
    Last edited by Herb in Pa; 12-24-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Actually the Gunnery Sergeant title is honorary. He was medically discharged for injuries received in Viet Nam in the early 70s as an E6 (Staff Sergeant). He had a nice movie career before his television show took off. That was when the Corps gave him the honorary promotion to match his TV character but unlike most actors, there is no question but that he is exactly what he pretends to be...

None
    Ermy is the quintessential, prototypical, and stereotypical essense of what a gyrene gunny should be. I'd guess that most real DIs would kill to have his voice.

Pity the recruit who thinks Ermy is funny, and laughs at the real DI! <GGG>

In Remebrance

There is a common misconception that Marines say "Hoooah!" I don't know where this came from, but it just ain't so. The word is "OOORAH!!!" given in a gutteral (sp) tone or almost growled out. I don't know how to spell it as it sounds. Sort of hard to explain. "Hooahh" on the other hand is not used by Marines, but perhaps by army or those navy walrusses or sea lions, I forget what they're called. If the Gunny starts saying "Hooahh" I'm gonna have to get the boys together and straighten his script writers out.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    There is a common misconception that Marines say "Hoooah!" I don't know where this came from, but it just ain't so. The word is "OOORAH!!!" given in a gutteral (sp) tone or almost growled out. I don't know how to spell it as it sounds. Sort of hard to explain. "Hooahh" on the other hand is not used by Marines, but perhaps by army or those navy walrusses or sea lions, I forget what they're called. If the Gunny starts saying "Hooahh" I'm gonna have to get the boys together and straighten his script writers out.
    I always thought the Marines said, "I hope the Army gets here soon."

HAR!

Merry Christmas.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

None
    Reminds me of a ditty my dad used to say:

The Army does the work,
    The Navy gets the pay,
    And the Marines come in
    When the Army moves away.

Talking

Reminds me of a saying we had in the Air Force: "You can tell a Marine.....but you can't tell him much".

R J Talley

In Remebrance

HAR! Keep 'em comin' guys! Merry Christmas all!

anachronism
    I have a close friend who is a Viet Nam era Marine. He is also a PTSD victim, I didn't believe PTSD was real, until I met him, and got to understand the nature of the affliction. He's now been out of the Marines for about thirty years. We have lunch from time to time, and just met again a few weeks ago. I got there first, and cracked up when I saw him enter the room. Proud, dignified bearing, ramrod straight. Chest out, gut in, a typical Marine. He walked closer to me and asked me in no uncertain terms what was so damn funny, so I told him "once a jarhead, always a jarhead"! And I told him he looked very proper and correct for a retired Marine. It seemed to make his day, he laughed too.... I think I'll just go call the old jarhead, later tonight.

Boolit Master
    Trooper, if'n yer referin' to me, it'a still 'Hoooah'. That's ARMY for what ever fits the ocassion. As in. "Merry Christmas," -- "Hoooah!" "Take that hill." -- "Hoooah." Or, you just shot that terrorist in the HEAD!" -- "Hoooah!" It's all a matter of how sofistimacated you become... Merry Christmas my brothers, and nothing wrong with a little good interservice rivalry!

Hooooah!

You gotta be Hoooah! sundog

I'll be honest with you all. I know several marines no long on active duty. (there are no EX-marines) All exemplify the highest standards of bearing and are a real pleasure to hunt and fish with. Real men, honor bound and faithful. I cherish the time I spend with them. Most vets I know are like that. We who served share a bond that is almost like a flesh and blood brotherhood. I don;t think less of those who did not serve, but I do think we who did are unique. I recently went to the mall with my wife and daughter. As they shopped I sat down and rested ....watching the girls go by. Two Korean War vets happened by and the three of us got into a conversation. I'm 50, they were in their 70s. Still, we were like long lost brothers, instand friends bound together by a long tradition of service and sacrifice. To the men and women of our armed forces, yesterday, today and tomorrow, I lift my glass and slaute you. Semper Fi and God's Blessing on all.

R J Talley
    USAF 1974-1981
    Det 3, 12th Wea Sq. ; Det 5, 9th Wea Sq.; Tatalina AFS, AK AAC,

Boolit Buddy
    You fellers know what iI like so much about you? You're all full of ****! I do thinks we could have some fun together........well, we do anyway.

Hey,....did you ever hear the one about........................
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Master
    Trpr.Brett, navy walrusses!!!!!!!!, swabbies is more like it. I served on a flat top during the vietnam war. Worked out of #1 engineroom. The only time I saw water was when we got off watch and went topside for some fresh air. Always had the light off and wrapping up watches. Towards the end of my enlistment we were standing four on and four off. Not enough replacements or re-enlistments to make up for the guys going home.
    USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CAV 42 M division gone but not forgotten Frank

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast