RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: R. Lee Ermy

Banned
    MGySgt

Try this for what's being used in Afghanistan and Iraq....M16 ammo with match 70 gr hollow points from Hornady and Sierra both. Also M16 in 6.8 Remington. AR10 in 7.62 and of course your beloved M14's.

I believe it was the very short barreled M16 carbines that were having problems with penetration of distance target and that was with standard NATO ammo.

I'd imagine if we took this back to the Revolutionary War times the old vets then would have said "Yeah, give me my flintlock anyday over those new fangled whatever they are made of guns".

As I see military equipment gets improved as time passes on. Yeah those 30-06's and 308's were good back in their days and yes they can still wipe you out with one shot today, so can a Brown Bess Flintlock too. You know the Germans started to see the light too late in WWII when they came out with that STG44. Had they had that at the beginning of the war things might have come out differently...that is if their insane leader let the generals direct the war. Anyways all the equipment has gotten better, better comminications, better artilery, better aircraft, vehicles, ships...so why not rifles. If I had my choice in Nam today, I'd take the current M16 over the M14 any day and even better yet the AK 47.

Joe

Joe - I agree with you up to a point.

First - The M-16 A2 is a much better weapon then the one I used (A1). The ammo has changed, heavier bullet, better balistics, etc.

In Iraq or Afganistan - I would prefer the M-16 A2 over the M-14, you can carry almost twice the ammo for the same weight. Body Armor, pack, helmet, Duce gear, etc, all make a heavy load in a place that is hot and dry. Total weight fully loaded with out ammo is 120 plus pounds for long range patrols or when you are humping to a defense position because you are setting up a hammer and anvil exercise. If you are out looking for the bad guys, you are still carrying a heavy load - more ammo is always better.

The A-2 now has fire and 3 round burst vice fire and full auto - makes more sense for the 'Rifleman' and the 'Automatic Rifleman' has a SAAW. And some one is helping carry ammo for the SAAW, normally the 'Assistant Automatic Rifleman'. Of course there is more ammo spread out amongst the rest of the fire team - you want to keep that hungry gun fed.

AK47 or one of its varant makes/models. Urban ware fare - yes a very good weapon, not prone to jam, has good balistics out to 300 plus but not very good accuracy after they have burned up about 10,000 rounds at full auto, I don't think anyone ever fires those without it being on full auto! But a distinctive sound that immeadiatly draws fire when one goes off, sometimes from friendlies that know you are not suppose to be carrying anything but issue.

In garrison, in a defensive position with a long kill zone in front of me, where re-supply of ammo is not a problem, give me the M-14!

Just this old tired and retired Marine's opinion. Of course that an a buck might get you a cup of coffee!
    Big Bore = 45+

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    There is a common misconception that Marines say "Hoooah!" I don't know where this came from, but it just ain't so. The word is "OOORAH!!!" given in a gutteral (sp) tone or almost growled out. I don't know how to spell it as it sounds. Sort of hard to explain. "Hooahh" on the other hand is not used by Marines, but perhaps by army or those navy walrusses or sea lions, I forget what they're called. If the Gunny starts saying "Hooahh" I'm gonna have to get the boys together and straighten his script writers out.

Tpr. Bret,
    My father in law was a retired Army Col. Hoooah comes from the Army (Special Forces, I think).

However, as you said all of us JARHEADS say "OOORAH".

Semper Fi!
    MARCORVET
    ONE SHOT, ONE KILL! SEMPER FI

In Remebrance

MARCORVET- There, there. No need to be bringing up embarassing family history in a public setting! HA! (I'm joking for those of you who don't know) Semper Fi!