MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Are Lee Pots just garbage?

I had wear out my Lee 10lbs bottom pour . I had changed the heater coil a few times . Now it is to the point that I will need to replace it. and just save the old one for parts. I had cast alot with it. I do not remember how many years I had it . I am usen a Lyman pot with a ladle now till I get another Lee 10 lbs one .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Man
    I've had my 4-20 Lee pot for quite some time and she is dripper. Sometimes it drips every 2 seconds other times its every second or more....makes a big mess and can start splattering if im not careful. I went through the cleaning process and even lapped the plunger to the spout but that did nothing. Still drips horribly. I've got the old style that uses a pan head screw to hold the stopper rod in place, I may check with Lee to see if I can upgrade to the newer handle configuration.

Boolit Bub
    Are Lee pots garbage? Not the two I have. Both are 4-lb ladle types. I use the infinite heat model for 2 and 4 cavity molds, and the old single heat for 1 and 2 cavity molds. I keep the single heat filled with WW's plus 2% tin for rifle bullets. Everything else gets the infinite heat. The single heat was purchased (believe it or not) in 1972 and is still going strong!!! Looks well-used, but works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lee.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    If a person is just going to stand 5 yards from a pie plate and shoot,, they will be happier with a taurus or ruger or heritage then with a Korth
    I've been trying to understand what you mean with that.

I've never seen a Korth but I have a .357 Blackhawk and a Smith Md. 29 that I used to sink beer cans bobbing along about 80 yards away in a mountain stream. Using my own boolits while standing, two hand grip; few cans escaped before going 'round the bend.

I'm 45 years older now. I hate to admit it but my 81 year old eyes aren't as good as they used to be, my back often hurts and my grip has weakened so I'm not as accurate as I was back them.

I no longer sink already half sunk beer cans in cold mountain streams but, best I can tell, my old revolvers and same reloads still work as good as ever.

Now, after that, I have two questions for your experience:

(1) How much better shooting do you suppose I could have done with a Korth (whatever that is and whatever it costs)?

(2) Is it your honest belief that my common factory made, iron sighted revolvers shooting my common hot loaded hard cast SWC bullets are too inexpensive to be anything but junk and therefore only suitable for trying real hard to pop an occasional pie plate at 15 feet?

Boolit Master
    Some folks say all of Lee's tools are junk but Lee has been happily selling stuff to a lot of reloaders since the mid-60s so maybe the problem really isn't the tools.

I've known a few hopeful "reloaders" who would do well to stay away from pliers because they really don't know much about machinery with rapidly moving parts.

Boolit Buddy
    I use my LEE 4# pot to make experimental ammo, and checking out a new mould or to make a mix of experimental lead components .
    Some of the time i use it (4# pot) to preheat and add to my 40# pot, it's just handy.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench pots.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	293179

Hope not, while I am new here I just figure all my problems is just the learning curve

Have a ‘Lee’ky bottom pour and a lee ladle pot. Use the ladle pot when I mess with it. Go through spurts with casting. I do need to build some HB RN 265gr Webley boolits but it’s too much trouble.

I have been using my Lee 4-20 for over 10 years. I try to keep the spout clean and have to spin the rod a few times during a casting session. This is a very minor inconvenience. As far as keeping a constant temperature , a PID controller is the way to go....for any pot. The Lee thermostat does NOT set the temperature of the melt. It sets the temperature of the bi-metallic spring that opens and closes the switch, thereby controlling on/off time. This type of control will keep the wattage or temperature of the heater fairly constant. This type of control will not keep the temperature of the melted lead alloy constant. As the level of the melt changes, with the same amount of heat being applied, the temperature of the melt changes. At the very least a good thermometer is needed.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Are they garbage? No in my opinion and have 3 for a few decades The others are overpriced
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    Lee 20 for 10s of 1000s: Pretty usable. Can barely imagine using a ladle, at least not at a volume oriented pace.
    Been regulating the melt temp by dunking 'lead ice cubes' in as needed.
    Getting drippy!
    Ah! More soup...er...cold lead for you. Give the pin a twist.
    I expect a PID is going to be nice.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'd say generally they are not junk . I have one I bought in 1990 to replace the SEACO and Lyman pots that were stolen from my shop . I am still using it even though I have bought SEACO and Lyman pots to replace the ones that grew legs . So far I have never had it fail to do just exactly what I bought it to do . I also have 4 of the cheaper Lee pots that my dad used when he made and sold hand pored bullets at the State range where he was a range officer . They have probably made 4 times more bullets than an average pot would ever make in it life time , that's each not as a group . 3 of the 4 work just fine and one needs a element replaced .I probably do 8-10 thousand bullets a year on the 1991 pot and it works perfect . I much prefer the SEACO/Lyman 10 lb pots and use them for anything I cast but dead soft lead which is what I use the Lee pot for now days . I also have a 20 lb Lyman I bought a few years ago that I hardly ever use , it's more expensive than the Lee but I don't notice that it works better . I think the Lee cost me about $49.00 in 91 and the asking price on the Lyman was a hair over $300 when I bought it . I caught a closeout and got it for $175.00 nib is really the only reason I bought it.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    They seem to be hit or miss.

Mine was a miss.

Boolit Master
    I would never pay $200 when the Lee pots work just fine.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Well after 12+ years my Lee 10# olde drippy gave up the ghost today. Something in the spout obstructing flow, tried to punch it out and the punch broke. Finished up using an RCBS ladle for the first time and made some pretty bullets then it started leaking someplace other than the spout. Came back in the house and ordered a Lee 20# dipping pot from Midway. I’ll probably order a Lee 4 20# bottom pour pot when they’re back in stock. I can see the utility of having options.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678