Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 S&W Long- Shot loads for the Pipsqueak

.32 S&W Long- Shot loads for the Pipsqueak

In another thread I sought some home-made, 3D printed shot capsules for my little S&W .32 Long, but no joy. A poster however said he'd started forming long shells from .327 brass by running them in a .314 Lee sizer die. So I "borrowed" a .327 case from a LGS shop to try.

First, for them to chamber in my revolver, I had to run them in a .309" die. I then charged the case with 2.5 grs. of HP-38 and seated a thin over-powder disc made from a primer box, which was cut with a 303 British case. Next I filled the case with #9 shot, which amounted to about 100 pellets, and topped it off with hot glue.

I've shot many dozens of rattlesnakes out here in the last 15 years and learned early on to get close. People pattern pistol shot loads at 10, 15 or even 20 feet which seems silly to me. Although I've never really measured the distance at which I shoot, when I stepped off 6' to test this load, I realized that would be at the absolute maximum distance at which I would shoot at a snake. That said, I think the load would work wonderfully at that range-

Just for grins, I did try the load at 10', which seemed like 10 yards, and it would've worked, but just barely (Maybe I should've aimed more carefully...?)-

So there you are! Now I just have to go back to the gun shop and make a deal for a few more pieces of brass.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Have you try this with other powders then the one you have ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Looks good! I'm still happy to run a few plastic shot cups if you become interested. I've my new printer all up and running to boot. Having an industrial machine is NICE!
    Bulldogger

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m following this (and your other) thread with interest. I’m curious at this point though... why did you have to reduce the front section all the way down to .309”? Since my bullets are either .313 or .314” and chamber necks are sized accordingly, I’m guessing I could reduce the front of my shell accordingly; or am I missing something?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Have you try this with other powders then the one you have ?
    No, and I probably won't. I'm not sure any powder would have an advantage over another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    Looks good! I'm still happy to run a few plastic shot cups if you become interested. I've my new printer all up and running to boot. Having an industrial machine is NICE!
    Bulldogger
    That'd be great and much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I’m following this (and your other) thread with interest. I’m curious at this point though... why did you have to reduce the front section all the way down to .309”? Since my bullets are either .313 or .314” and chamber necks are sized accordingly, I’m guessing I could reduce the front of my shell accordingly; or am I missing something?

Froggie
    I don't know why my .314" die wouldn't work. I found that after I loaded a round if I ran it in the seater die it helped the round chamber more easily.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Very interesting idea, I will be converting a half dozed 327s shortly. I suspect the size discrepancy could be spring back, perhaps anneal the neck area first???
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Those shot shells turned out slick , you did good.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    No, and I probably won't. I'm not sure any powder would have an advantage over another.

That'd be great and much appreciated!

I don't know why my .314" die wouldn't work. I found that after I loaded a round if I ran it in the seater die it helped the round chamber more easily.

35W
    Ok thank you for letting me know I had got the 327 mag and the 32 H&R Mag shot shell done . with out any caps. Just use the cases .

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I was trying this a few years ago, I found that a plastic straw from McDonald's worked okay as a shot capsule for the .32 S&W Long.

A bit of melting with a butane lighter and I got somewhere around 65-70 grains of #12 shot in them. I drilled a 5/16" hole trough a wooden Jinga block to use as a form tool. That doesn't sound like much shot, but it about three times as much as is in a .22LR shot shell, and those work okay on snakes.

I got distracted by life and never followed up, but I think it will work better than bare shot through rifled bore.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Back when I was trying this a few years ago, I found that a plastic straw from McDonald's worked okay as a shot capsule for the .32 S&W Long.

A bit of melting with a butane lighter and I got somewhere around 65-70 grains of #12 shot in them. I drilled a 5/16" hole trough a wooden Jinga block to use as a form tool. That doesn't sound like much shot, but it about three times as much as is in a .22LR shot shell, and those work okay on snakes.

I got distracted by life and never followed up, but I think it will work better than bare shot through rifled bore.

Robert
    This sounds interesting for the straw .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post

Robert
    I used a McDonalds straw to make shot loads for a 30-30 TC pistol. Used my wife's iron to do the heating. A little experimentation determined the proper heat setting on the iron. Got 150 gr of #10 in the capsules made.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's the beauty of using a straw, infinite loads. I used a drillbit shank as a mandrel to form the lower end of the shot capsule.

My plan was to test fire the loads in a Ruger SSM .32 H&R before I ever tried one in one of my little I-Frame S&W's.

maybe one day...

Robert

Boolit Master

I make my own for the 327.

https://youtu.be/cXhRCTV1O_c

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Very interesting thread. I always learn something when I get on here. Today's shot load information was no different. I carry my 3 1/2" model 29 a lot for this very purpose. I use the Speer shot capsule and #7 1/2 shot usually. However rolling your own with a McDonald's plastic straw, or a power coated ball has got to be something I will try. I have killed many copperheads, and cottonmouths with my set up. It also works good with the pigeons that roost in my barn but there I go to #12 shot which is much kinder to my steel roof. I now have barn swallows but they eat lots of bugs so they get a pass from me.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    look at the sticky up above by gearnasher.
    I make .32 shotload using his method and no.12 shot.
    Only way to do it for me.

I make my own for 327 and 32 H&R mag , now it looks like I should look into doing it for the 32 S&W Long now .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    look at the sticky up above by gearnasher.
    I make .32 shotload using his method and no.12 shot.
    Only way to do it for me.
    That is what got me thinking about using the straw in the first place.

Spring is right around the corner, I really need to find my bag of #12 shot and get busy on this again.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I used to make shot loads for my .30 blackhawk with a little bullseye, a card OP wad glued to a cork (gasket material) cushion wad, and the rest of the case full of #9s with either a card wad sealed with enamel paint or a .30 gas check for OS. I was already making them for .357 and .44 so I figured, why not? I cut the card and cork wads out with a gasket punch set spinning in the drill press. 5/16", 3/8" and 7/16" worked fine. The reformed plastic straw sounds like a good bet for the .32-20s. Thanks!
    Ed <><

Boolit Master
    Check out the sticky by Gearnasher back at the start of this subject.
    Any extended or flush shotshell wad for any caliber pistol can be cobbled up using his method.
    In any case, you need to get some No.12 shot.

It will devastate small live targets even with seemingly small
    .32 payloads.
    Good to at least 10 to 12 feet for sure for me using Gearnasher methods of wad construction and loading.
    Don't knock it till you try it.
    .32 H&R Ruger , single six, 6 "bbl.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 02-18-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    8mm is about the the same as a .32 and there used to be 8mm rimfire shot shells.

SOLD - $75.00
    8mm Rimfire Shotshells For Remington M-310 RF guns america
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 20-27-58 8mm Rimfire Shotshells For Remington M-310 RF 934553421.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	313903

One can still buy the 9mm flobert rimfire shot shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast