Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigarette Papers

Boolit Buddy

Cigarette Papers

Hi all.

I will start by saying i'm a newbie at paper patching. To date my paper patching experience is 3 "shootable" boolits.

I wanted to have a go at paper patching my .358 Win. I did a bit of research among these forums and learnt enough to commit.

I ordered a mold from Accurate Molds. It's the 35-225P which drops a .351 225gn bullet.

I found some 60GSM tracing paper at the local craft store which mic's at .002". Some locals here (i'm in Australia) tell me to find some 50GSM "bank pads" which are acid free archival quality. I'm still looking for some of that.

I cast some boolits and tried my hand at paper patching for the first time using the tracing paper. After 3-4 hours of trying different patch dimensions, soaking times and rolling techniques i had found the dimensions i needed and managed to produce a whole entire 2 bullets. Rolling the paper on was easy but i stuggled with the tail. Getting it to fold under and not unravel was challenging.

After drying overnight those 2 successfully patched bullets measured .359 - .360 which is what i was hoping for.

So here i am , a couple of days later and a friend was rolling a cigarette. I asked if i could have one of his papers. The paper measured twice the width of my required dimension and about 5/8" longer. It was also only .001" thick so i would need 4 wraps to be the right size.
    Then it occurred to me that there's a natural fold down the length of the paper so it can easily doubled. Trimming the 30(ish) degree taper brought it down the to the correct length.
    I grabbed a bullet, dunked the paper in water and tried wrapping it.

Wow, compared to the tracing paper the cigarette paper is a dream. I went on straight. Gripped well and the tail folds under flat. It's still drying but the patched bullet is right on .360.

So, is cigarette paper a good material for paper patching smokeless bullets? Please tell me it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35-225P.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	263904

Here is the 2 bullets with tracing paper.

Name:	IMG_1438_45%.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	263905

And here is the bullet patched with cigarette paper.

Name:	IMG_1439_50%.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	263906

Boolit Master
    CW
    That’s a good looking boolit and the patching job looks fine. If it’s coming up to .360” I’d load ten rounds and try them. I haven’t tried cigarette paper for patches mainly because tracing paper is easier to find and seems to dry tight and the tails are then easily twisted and clipped off. I am pretty sure cig. Paper has been tried but not sure of the results. Good luck with it!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Banned

I think cigarette paper is too thin unless you wrap it more than one revolution.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I think cigarette paper is too thin unless you wrap it more than one revolution.
    Yes, that's why i folded it lengthwise, effectively doubling it so i have 4 layers when wrapped twice.

Boolit Grand Master

I wrap for BP rounds 45, 40, 38 calibers. I wrap with cole paper about .002 thick.2 wraps at bore dia so they can be loaded long, only 1/8" of the bullet is in the case.
    I also wrap dry. Ill give some techniques now

Finding the right length of patch:
    cut a strip of paper the correct width and 6" plus length.
    wrap 3 times around bullet
    with a razor blade or xacto knife cut a nick thru all 3 layers 1/8" - 1/4" on one edge is plenty
    the distance between 2 nicks is the patch length complete and unstretched
    subtract 1/32 from this to allow for stretch and the small radius where 1 layer overlaps the edge.
    Glue this to a piece of sheet metl and cut file for template.

Wrapping the bullet:
    I wrap dry and no tail. there is a .100 or slightly smaller dia of the base showing in the center of the base
    Wrap tight and carefully roll the fold under onto the base forming a smooth layered base.
    This base is very square releases well and is easy to do

A patching board makes this easy and consistant.

You want 2 wraps of paper around the bullet in a continuous length fold in half dosnt release as well and may leave a ridge at the base. Te patch should be snug and right around bullet but not stretched to tight.

When shooting you want to see a cloud of confetti at the muzzle this is the outer wrap and then as close as possible to the muzzle ( on a calm day) you should find the under wrap with rifling engravings and the fold under intact. Finding these can tell you a lot about how the load is performing. When all is good and right the patch comes off at muzzle and bullet travels on with no distortions.

On the patch I like an angle that gives 1/2 wrap in its length. Cant say it makes any difference but it seems more balanced

Boolit Master
    I have read of cigarette paper being used to patch cast. I have wrapped some .338 cast to 377 for my 375 Whelen, I used green printer paper and patched them wet, I just twist the tails and when dry I lubed and run them through a Lee sizer. I have not fired them but I can tell you the paper took some removing when dry. My understanding is that you use a bullet and paper combination that will allow you to use the fattest wrapped bullet that will chamber and let the bore do the sizing. Regards Stephen

Yes, as fat as will chamber and seat into an unsized neck. Of course that does not mean the cig paper patching won't work. I would think three or four wraps rather than folding double but again, one can never know until one tries them. I did try cig paper when I started patching but I don't remember the results.

I ended up using cheap printer paper because of its compressiveness which made for easy and firm seating in an unsized neck or lined notepad paper which gave me very good results in one rifle. I too adopted the dry wrapping, using a twisting between thumbs and forefingers to get the patch real tight and rolled over the base leaving a small 'eye'. I also used tail-les patches that seemed to work just fine.

Example of a dry wrap with rolled over tail. This works best with cheap printer paper.

Recovered tail wrap - notepad paper folds rather than rolls over.

I can't seem to find pics of cig paper patches. I did find a note saying a particular load with cig paper appears to be accurate. It was a 303 Brit loaded with a 245gr smooth side over 37gr H4350.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 06-22-2020 at 05:46 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Found a pic of a loaded cig paper patch
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I also found those curler papers that the girls use or did at one time for hair perms, worked very well

Perm papers for bullet

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I also found those curler papers that the girls use or did at one time for hair perms, worked very well
    I rushed out to a beauty store and probably paid too much for enough wrappings for ten million billion bullets. Perm papers: https://www.amazon.com/perm-end-pape...erm+end+papers

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    I rushed out to a beauty store and probably paid too much for enough wrappings for ten million billion bullets. Perm papers: https://www.amazon.com/perm-end-pape...erm+end+papers
    That there is plain funny. I gotta start paper patching.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I used them to patch for a 7mm Rolling Block with a over size bore. They really helped.

Banned

it's all about finding the right thickness, and strength, of patching paper to make the bullet in question to be wrapped fit the lands or grooves, and yield acceptable consistent accuracy. testing beats words and theory. there are LOTS of PPB things to test out. have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by CamoWhamo View Post
    Hi all.

I will start by saying i'm a newbie at paper patching. To date my paper patching experience is 3 "shootable" boolits.

I wanted to have a go at paper patching my .358 Win. I did a bit of research among these forums and learnt enough to commit.

I ordered a mold from Accurate Molds. It's the 35-225P which drops a .351 225gn bullet.

I found some 60GSM tracing paper at the local craft store which mic's at .002". Some locals here (i'm in Australia) tell me to find some 50GSM "bank pads" which are acid free archival quality. I'm still looking for some of that.

I cast some boolits and tried my hand at paper patching for the first time using the tracing paper. After 3-4 hours of trying different patch dimensions, soaking times and rolling techniques i had found the dimensions i needed and managed to produce a whole entire 2 bullets. Rolling the paper on was easy but i stuggled with the tail. Getting it to fold under and not unravel was challenging.

After drying overnight those 2 successfully patched bullets measured .359 - .360 which is what i was hoping for.

So here i am , a couple of days later and a friend was rolling a cigarette. I asked if i could have one of his papers. The paper measured twice the width of my required dimension and about 5/8" longer. It was also only .001" thick so i would need 4 wraps to be the right size.
    Then it occurred to me that there's a natural fold down the length of the paper so it can easily doubled. Trimming the 30(ish) degree taper brought it down the to the correct length.
    I grabbed a bullet, dunked the paper in water and tried wrapping it.

Wow, compared to the tracing paper the cigarette paper is a dream. I went on straight. Gripped well and the tail folds under flat. It's still drying but the patched bullet is right on .360.

So, is cigarette paper a good material for paper patching smokeless bullets? Please tell me it is.

Name:	35-225P.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	263904

Here is the 2 bullets with tracing paper.

Name:	IMG_1438_45%.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	263905

And here is the bullet patched with cigarette paper.

Name:	IMG_1439_50%.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	263906
    So how are those working for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    I use these same papers for making my combustible cartridges for my cap and ball revolver.

Boolit Master

Zig Zag Cigarette paper and a slant breech Sharps carbine are the bee's knees

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    9# onion skin with 25%+ rag content works quite well for me. .0025 dry and after wetting for application it will dry to .002”.

Dress pattern paper works also, but is quite thin. Expect .0015” dry.

Boolit Master
    From the title, I thought you were going to talk about paper cartridges!

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    With the current shortage on just about anything shooting related, it's about time I stop screwing around and try paper patching. I'm impressed with the results I see and it's one more method that doesn't depend on an outside source. I think I'll try the cigarette paper method first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast