RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
PBcastcoReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cigarette Papers

FWIW, cigarette paper is very high in sheet ash, about 25-30% calcium carbonate.

Calcium carbonate is added to the cigarette paper in high levels to slow and control the burn of the paper on lit cigarettes.

Boolit Master
    I started using cig papers for my 30-30 years ago.
    I would partially neck size the case and with bore + 1 thou.
    A doubled over tallyho cig paper would bring it up to 309"
    So they worked well being just diameter in a sloppy chamber when nestled into the rifling.
    It depended on getting everything concentric as much as possible.

When I patch now I just patch to a fired case and fill things up as much as possible.
    My accuracy is easy minute of pig at 100-150 yards.
    Haven’t shot one but should make them have a bad day.
    I’ve used every powder from bullseye to adi2208 which seems to fertilise the grass too as well as shooting.(more come to eat the grass I shoot fertilize the grass etc etc)
    I’m just running soft lead flat points of 170 grn at @ 1500fps. Should do nicely at 100 yards on pigs and easier on the shoulders.

Try everything and you will find something that works for you.
    17-1900 fps is pretty easy to achieve good accuracy.
    Put a 150 or 170 grain pill where it needs to go and all should be fine.
    Many ways to skin this cat.
    I only do it because I only use a bit of paper and don’t have to be scientific about alloys and what nots and it works once you get past the crash and burn stage.

You know they only stopped producing pp bullets because of labour costs.

A couple of patches of reds red and I’ve cleaned my gun still next time.

With the right mould and paper you can virtually load with only a means to de-reprime cases. No expensive dies needed to work and worry your brass with.
    They last heaps longer that way.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve heard it said that it’s probably what the old time buffalo hunters used.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve heard it said that it’s probably what the old time buffalo hunters used.
    I used to run the James D. Julia Auction House firearms division. One of our firearms consultants was the late Frank Sellers, who wrote the definitive book on Sharps rifles.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sharps-Firear.../dp/0960812202

MANY years ago, I had a conversation with him about paper patch bullets. He said the paper used for paper patching back in the peak of buffalo hunting was along the line of bank note paper, almost the opposite of cigarette paper.

Bank note paper is very strong and durable (paper money is designed to withstand A LOT of handling and use). It has low ash, highly sized ( water resistance), and high percentage of long ( strong) fiber.

Cigarette paper has minimal ( none) sizing ( water resistance), high ash content, and is designed for one-time use ( smoking/burning)...not durable.

Why in the world would buffalo hunters, out in the wilds and elements, use a paper patch that has very low durability (cigarette paper)?
    Last edited by catboat; 04-19-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I thought that they would prefer bible paper as they were printed on good paper.
    They could of helped spread the good word around.
    Maybe.

More likely just bought a big box full of patched bullets and powder and such to last the trip out.

Boolit Master
    In its heyday the Sharps factory employed scores of young ladies (12-16) to roll paper patched boolits. In my readings I have found concrete evidence that the factory "naked boolits" were only loaded for the Govt 45-70 ammunition.

Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12