Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Softest pure lead

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The lead sheets used for flooring in the Sears battery room I pulled up has a BH of 5. I mix it 16:1 with pewter for a Bh of 7.8 and 50//50 with COWW with a Bh of 10.4. Makes some great Sub MOA expanding HP boolits. I might cast up some HP boolits in 5BH flooring and insert them into a sabot to try in my 50 cal TC Omega muzzle loader along with 150 grains of tripple 7 pellets.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-23-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Lead flooring in a battery room! I never knew that, but it makes all kinds of sense.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Roofing boots but the joint between the pipe and flange is a slightly harder alloy.

Back when telephone cables were lead sheathed they were softer than anything I ever encountered. Several years ago the telephone company removed and replaced lead covered conduit out of town. About 10 miles worth. Lot of lead. Had a couple of shooting buddies that worked for the phone company. Two trucks loaded down in the yard with it. Couldn't get an inch. Hazmat.

The lawyers struck again./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Stack or roofing vents and lead roofing. Was unloading some junk at our local scrap yard and the guy behind me had a pickup full of lead roofing. Told the guy when he was done weighing to set me up with 500 pounds. Borrowed his forklift to get it in the truck paid the man and off I went. Still have it in the garage. Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I picked up 265 lbs of Grade A sheet lead at the recycle yard. Tested Bhn 4.8
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

A friend of mine has 50 of these stashed away in his shed. Looks pretty soft to me.

Attachment 264051

They weigh about 25 pounds each.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    A friend of mine has 50 of these stashed away in his shed. Looks pretty soft to me.[.
    Probably is.
    It looks like something they'd sell in the old days at a Plumbing supply house when they poured Lead joints on cast iron pipes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

I guess my answer would be "pure lead" if it has arsenic, tin or antimony in it its not pure lead. So what your asking is whats the softest ALLOY

Boolit Master
    so far the stick on wheel weights have been the softest 6bhn , roof flashing came in @ 8 and I had it tested came back 97%Pb and 3%Sb with a 8 on the bhn

For me its lead sheeting, really soft stuff, you can easily roll & fold it.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I ran some dross/scrap/lead waste through the pot while it was hot today. For the life of me I dont know why I had it was about 12lbs of junk/lead/dross/copper jackets/steel clips. It was not in my usual dross/clip bucket? Anyway 6lbs of clean soft alloy. its only been 10 hours since the smelt but tested at 6bhn with my pencils.

Boolit Buddy
    i have to agree with 416, cable sheathing is the softest lead i've found. I got two boxes of roof jacks(brand new) and they where fairly soft, but I need "soft" lead for my black powder pistols. I'[ve had x-ray room lead, etc. and even a little Lead hair(for old sewer pipes) and it was the softest. but after a afternoon of shooting black powder your hands will let you know if you shooting fairly soft lead or really soft lead. I've passed on keels for sailboat lead(its junk lead with god only knows what in it. WW are good for regular shooting targets, but I powder coat all my bullets now and that takes care of most of my shooting (mostly steel plates nowadays)

Boolit Master
    years ago when I worked with a scrap yard owner he had this electronic gun like xrf thing that would diagnose materials, one day I found a couple 4 block strings of ingots and the analyzer said 99.3 percent lead. ive still have those ingots have not had to smelt them down yet. like others have said I think the roofing flashing pieces that go over vent pipes and such is pretty darn pure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12