Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Lee die bushing spline drive nut wrench...

Boolit Bub
    Ed do you have a site where your handle can be bought?? What in the world is thingiverse????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rayh View Post
    Ed do you have a site where your handle can be bought?? What in the world is thingiverse????
    Hi Ray,
    I hadn't considered selling them, but if I do, I'll post an ad in the Swappin and Selling forum (I don't want to violate forum rules by posting here.) As for "Thingiverse," it's a web site where people who design and make things for 3D printers can post and share their creations (think PDFs for 3D printers.) If you have a 3D printer, and really don't want to learn how to use design programs, you can go there and get a "ready made" solution. Some even offer the ability to customize. For example, I smoked some pork butts the other day and wanted to get meat claws to pull it (beats using forks.) I went on Thingiverse, searched, and sure enough, they had a meat claw to print. Printed up two of them, and they worked great.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBQ Claws.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	264004

Boolit Master
    I like the wrench for turret and progressive tools where you don't have room to get ahold of the nut even using the wrench I try to not tighten more than I would if I could get a hold of the nut with my fingers. The O ring secures them well when snug.
    I wonder if you could make a wrench that would slip over the top of the die out of PVC pipe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I like the wrench for turret and progressive tools where you don't have room to get ahold of the nut even using the wrench I try to not tighten more than I would if I could get a hold of the nut with my fingers. The O ring secures them well when snug.
    I wonder if you could make a wrench that would slip over the top of the die out of PVC pipe.
    Hi,
    That's why the wrench is half moon/spanner looking so you can go in from the side (see the pics in the post above.)
    Ed

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Ed, I'm really not into this computer stuff. i appreciate you taking the time to explain. I bought the Lee APP for depriming mainly and encountered the new ring. . I don't expect to change the die out to many times but your design would be handy if I do. I did ground down and shorten an open wrench for the regular Lee rings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rayh View Post
    Thanks Ed, I'm really not into this computer stuff. i appreciate you taking the time to explain. I bought the Lee APP for depriming mainly and encountered the new ring. . I don't expect to change the die out to many times but your design would be handy if I do. I did ground down and shorten an open wrench for the regular Lee rings.
    Ray,
    I sent you a PM.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    That's why the wrench is half moon/spanner looking so you can go in from the side (see the pics in the post above.)
    Ed
    Thanks .
    that's how I use it , it works fine for me so far 0 complaints.

Boolit Master

Is spline drive a standard? Like, say a hex head bolt?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Is spline drive a standard? Like, say a hex head bolt?
    Hi Matt,
    No, Lee recently went to those. Prior to that, it was a hex lock nut with a groove for an O-Ring. When finger tightened, the O-ring compressed and put pressure on the die body thereby keeping the whole thing secure. The problem with it was you couldn't lock it in to get repeatability when you changed dies. In the picture is an old style, new spline style, and the Locking Ring Bushing. To further confuse things, the Lock Ring bushings have three different types of set screws depending on when they were manufactured. The current version uses an Allen screw.
    Ed

Name:	Lee Dies.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	264048

Boolit Master

Ed, could not agree more. I have several of the old o-ring nuts and really do not like them. Cannot set them the same way from use to use.

Boolit Master

I guess I never really had an issue with any of the nuts on any make of die. I started early on with the Lee Turret press, so once I set my dies, I didn't need to touch them. I sometimes used a wrench to get them off, if I couldn't get a new turret for a new caliber I repurposed one of my seldom used ones. Now, I still use turrets, but all have their own so don't need to mess with them.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Omega, sounds like you are in your ideal world. I do all of my loading on an RCBS Rock Chucker 2 and 4 and prime on a Partner press with the Lee priming setup. At our shooting volume of around 700 to 800 rounds per week, I load in the winter and shoot in the summer. I have run 1050's and other progressive presses and just did not feel the attention to detail per round made the best ammo. Therefore, I do end up changing dies often. I find that I really like the old Hornaday split ring nuts, the RCBS are second for me and Lee o-rings end up last. Lyman rings are also pretty good. I do use set screw locked rings, but not without a shot ball in the hole first, hate boogered threads on dies.

Boolit Master

I use turrets too!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I guess I never really had an issue with any of the nuts on any make of die. I started early on with the Lee Turret press, so once I set my dies, I didn't need to touch them. I sometimes used a wrench to get them off, if I couldn't get a new turret for a new caliber I repurposed one of my seldom used ones. Now, I still use turrets, but all have their own so don't need to mess with them.
    Hi,
    I also use the Lee Turret press and keep most of my dies set up in turrets. Where I got started on the new style was with the Lee APP where it's easier to keep sizing/decapping dies in new Lock Ring bushings so I can swap them out. I also switched my Lee Classic Cast from a Hornady bushing insert to the Lee bushing insert. It just makes life easier if everything is set up the same.
    Ed

Name:	Lee Turrets.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	264056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Bushings.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	264057

Boolit Grand Master

While not PVC there already is a tool for that; deep socket. IIRC a 1 5/16 socket. https://www.mscdirect.com/industrial...ep-socket.html

Unless you are using Lee's splined nuts...
    Last edited by mdi; 06-27-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    While not PVC there already is a tool for that; deep socket. IIRC a 1 5/16 socket. https://www.mscdirect.com/industrial...ep-socket.html

Unless you are using Lee's splined nuts...
    That's what this thread is about, the new Lee spline wrench.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    I also use the Lee Turret press and keep most of my dies set up in turrets. Where I got started on the new style was with the Lee APP where it's easier to keep sizing/decapping dies in new Lock Ring bushings so I can swap them out. I also switched my Lee Classic Cast from a Hornady bushing insert to the Lee bushing insert. It just makes life easier if everything is set up the same.
    Ed

Name:	Lee Turrets.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	264056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Bushings.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	264057
    You are way to organized Nice job!

Boolit Master

You are way to organized Nice job!
    Thanks, but it's really just a coping mechanism. If I didn't force myself into this, my bench (garage, desk, tool room, office, etc.) would look like a bomb went off and I couldn't find anything. Dan at Inline Fabrication (a vendor sponsor of this site) has great brackets and trays that make being organized a whole lot easier.
    Ed

Boolit Master

Name:	5B11AD91-06AA-41E7-967A-063343C548A4.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	264221
    This is from Lees web sight
    I like this version for where I want the ring locked to the die they clamp on instead of using a set screw run into the die.

Boolit Master
    I alway simply remove the O ring and use their nuts like any other. Or yet buy Dillon nuts and wrench.

Boolit Man
    I store my dies in Plano 3-18 Waterproof Stowaways and the old style nut fit in the compartments perfectly, but the new spline drives lack that thinness at the flats and bulge the compartments.
    I'd love to find someone who has a bunch of old 6 sided nuts wanting to trade for the new splines ones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast