Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 311041 pb

311041 pb

Received my 6 cavity group buy mold and am looking for a 1400 to 1600 fps 30-30 load. Have 4227, 4759, 335, 4895.

Thanks

DB

Boolit Grand Master

WHOOOO HOO

If yours arrived, I can look for mine in a day or two.

Got mine in the mail day before yesterday. Can't use it till spring because I've no place that's vented besides outdoors, but the mold looks great!! I hope to try it in an octagon-barrelled 30-30 with 8 grains of Unique for starters. I'm extrapolating that load from the data listed in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for the gaschecked version, which shows a min of 7.O gr @ 1240 FPS and a max of 10.6 gr for 1555 fps. I envision this as a fun bullet to shoot out of what is a very accurate rifle. Velocity doesn't mean as much as accuracy and non-leading to me--but I doubt if a load that goes out around 1450fps or so is going to bounce off a whitetail at the distances that I usually hunt, if I had to use this particular rifle/bullet for that purpose in a pinch. I can't wait for either spring to come or global warming as promised by Gore the Boor set in so I can cast up some for load development.

Boolit Master

This is from Lyman, not my personal experience

4759 15.5 1613fps 17.7 1803 fps 32,600 CUP

H335 22.0 1596 fps 30.0 2254 fps 33,800 CUP
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I hope to cast some tonight or tomorrow

Boolit Grand Master

Try 10-11 gr of Unique or 5.5-6.5 gr of Bullseye.

Given a good cast and a good fit to the throat the accuracy will go south between 1500 and 1600 fps if not before. I get best accuracy at 1400 fps with comparable PB bullets in my 30-30s Your 4227 and 4759 might work but probably won't give consistent ignition. A dacron filler might help (not needed with the Unique and Bullseye load). 335 and 4895 are way to slow burning for this bullet.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Well, here are some actual RESULTS, which is what I think we were supposed to be posting here to begin with. I'm as guilty as any, I posted above too

I cast up about a few hundred or so last night. Here's what she looks like

I miked two this morning, they are right on at about .313 -.314". I won't get to shoot any till at least next weekend or so.

Interestingly, these are not true copies of the Lyman 311041. In fact neither was the GC version we just did. Here is a pic of all three

You can see the bullets get progressively stubbier. The real Lyman is on the left, our GC copy in the middle, and our PB on the right. Not that this bothers me at all. Our GC shot every bit as well as the real Lyman, and I have high hopes for this PB. Just pointing it out.

I'll keep you posted on the shooting results.

Boolit Master

Talking 311041pb

Patrick L, what did the nose mic at, and what is your alloy.

Boolit Master

Doc,

My alloy is 20:1 ww to tin.

As for nose diameter, I assume you mean the parallel section of the nose and not the diameter of the meplat, right? It measures .302 just ahead of the band that is in front of the crimp groove.

Boolit Master
    Patrick, those sure are some good looking boolits Please post target photos. The length might be limited by the Lee mold dimensions. I think the ojive being shorter and fatter might be better for hunting?

Boolit Man

30 Cal PB

Well I cast up 500 all ready. I was breaking in a new pot and the new mold at the same time so I had a lot of flawed bullets trying to get the correct poor speed. I use Mold release sold by Midway so my bullets don't look prety like Patrics, I will size them at .309 Hard lub (Homemade Moly) and then I was going to give a toumble in JPW and let dry. Hunting season is Monday so I don't know when I will get to shoot any but please keep this thread going . J.Michael

Quote Originally Posted by uncowboy View Post
    Well I cast up 500 all ready. I was breaking in a new pot and the new mold at the same time so I had a lot of flawed bullets trying to get the correct poor speed. I use Mold release sold by Midway so my bullets don't look prety like Patrics, I will size them at .309 Hard lub (Homemade Moly) and then I was going to give a toumble in JPW and let dry. Hunting season is Monday so I don't know when I will get to shoot any but please keep this thread going . J.Michael
    J.Michael, where are you located that you have been able to cast with decent ventilation? I've been focusing my casting on doing it outdoors or in my garage with the door open. If you live in a northern climate do you have some sort of setup that will let me get started casting some of these before this coming May?

Boolit Man
    I have a ss table-Same type as I use for butchering duties. I have it ste under a basement window. I have a window fan set on exhaust mounted on two pins . I remove the pane from the window and slide the fan on the pins,Turn it on low exhaust and it sucks the smoke right from the top of the pot. Works way better than the exhaust fan I did have.
    Today I lubes about 1400 bullets of different types while watching football. The 30 Cal PB are all ready to be loaded. Will try to get to it before the year is out but Right now I have to go slaughter Bambi in his lair! J.Michael

Boolit Master

I finally got to the range today. I shot my Marlin .30-30 with my usual plinking load of 8 gr Green Dot and a CCI 200 primer. I tried the boolit two ways; unsized and lubed with LLA and conventionally sized and lubed, sized to .311. These are 50 yard, 5 shot groups fired from the bench with iron sights. I was too lazy to measure groups, so I threw a quarter in for size reference.

I need a disclaimer here. We had an ice storm roll in on Friday. It was cold out there today. I think things look promising, but I need to wait til spring to make any real accuracy tests. I am not what anyone would consider "hardy!" In fact, initial groups were easily double what you see here. I had to really concentrate on ignoring the cold and watching the sight picture, and squeeze between shivers!

Here's conventionally sized and lubed. Gosh darned flier!!

Here's as cast and LLA lube

As I said, this is about what this gun/load combo does with the gaschecked version and the real Lyman 311041. Gascheck boolit groups were a smidge better, but really only a smidge, and that was always in the warmer weather. I think we may have another winner here.

Just for laughs I also tried it in the 7.7 Japanese Arisaka, sized .313 and loaded over 10 gr Green Dot (my usual plinking load for that gun.) It did this, also at 50 yds from the bench

This is very typical 50 yd accuracy from this gun, so again I'm pretty happy.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    If anyone happens to be dissatissified with this mould,just let me know!!!
    I would like to have it.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I finally got to the range today. .
    Patrick, please do the rest of us a favor and reduce the size of those photos.

Boolit Master

Patrick, please do the rest of us a favor and reduce the size of those photos.
    Junior1942,

1. How do I do that?

2. Just out of curiosity, Why?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Junior1942,

1. How do I do that?

2. Just out of curiosity, Why?
    1. There's a simple way on photobucket. 2. They're too wide, which makes the text scroll off the side of the page. In other words, to read the text we have to scroll back and forth with every sentence.

Boolit Master

I'm sorry about that. I'll check that out.

Is it possible the problem is with your computer settings? I ask only because that doesn't occur for me when I view the posts, even my own.

I'm a real neo with this computer stuff. Even learning how to post a pic in the first place was a major accomplishment for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast