Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 375 Win

I have 3 375 take off barrels ( Win BB ) and they all accept 38-55 Starline , similar to Jedman ,I adapted 2 of the barrels to 20 gauge rollingblocks to make BP 38-55 shooters. nice shiney new bores , easy to clean.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    I've gotten best performance from 38-55 brass. The 94s and Marlins are chambered for it, and the shorter 375 brass leaves a very long jump for the bullet (through a .4"+ diameter hole) before reaching the rifled bore. At that point tho bullet has tipped significantly.
    Test your chamber first for appropriate brass. That will effect your bullet design choice.
    TomAM, are you using Starline brass?? If so, Starline does produce two different lengths of 38-55 brass. If your saying that the longer length brass fits the chamber of Marlins than I need to get me some to try out. I've got one of the earliest models from Marlin that was chambered in the 375 Winchester. My barrel is stamped Model 375, chamber 375 Win.

Boolit Master
    Starline is making 375 Win brass. Got some for may Savage 99 in 375 Win

My 94 and my Marlin 375 both have chambers long enough to easily accept the longer Starline 2.125" cases.
    My nephew's 94 is a bit shorter, using the shorter (2.08"?) 38-55 cases.
    Both 94 chambers have .145" distance from the case mouth to rifling leade, and my design #38-200AG is shooting very well for both of us.
    I designed #38-230G for use with 375 Win cases, filling the massive .255" jump to the rifling. But the longer cases are producing better accuracy.

I think that manufacturers' intent with their 375 Win chambers was very much like that of the Colt SAA 45.
    Colt has openly stated that their grossly oversized chambers and throats are needed to keep pressures down.
    Marlin and Winchester used 38-55 dimensions, including .379+ groove diameter, to create a great deal of gas leakage with .375" bullets.
    I have an MGM barrel and a custom Dave Clements 375 Marlin which both have true SAAMI spec 375 Winchester dimensions. There is a world of difference.

Boolit Grand Master

The .375 Winchester had a thicker web than the standard 30/30 and 38/55 brass and would hold higher pressures. I have used it to form 7mm International Rimmed back in my sillywett days.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I bought another 100 cases. It's buy em when ya find em

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master

This thread has me thinking about my Winchester BB .375 Win. I don't hunt now so my enthusiasm kind of cooled off. Back when I got it I got two of the Lee group buy molds for it. All I recorded for the molds was 381268 on one and 375 Win on the other. I would have to look at the molds to see their configuration. I assume they have a flat point if intended for the Winchester Big Bore. Any one have any further information.

I happened on a Midway sale that had a ridiculous price for brass. Someone had put a seriously low price on it so I ordered something like 1000 pcs. Midway honored the on line price but changed it almost as soon as I placed my order. As I recall, I sold about 500 pcs for what I had in them. I had no reason the profit from good luck. This had to be 10-15 years ago.
    John
    W.TN

I had a early Marlin 375, traded up for Ohio deer when we first got rifle season. My first brass was blown out 30/30s and cast 38/55 bullets. Sized at .377. I only loaded 38/55 level in these cases.
    I didn’t like the way the rifle handled so I traded it for a #3 Ruger in 375, since I picked up another one. I was working up loads and got put on back burner. I’m shooting Speer 235gr semi Spitzers and sacrificing velocity for accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of moulds in this calibre have a crimp groove location designed for the 38/55. You can always crimp into one of the lube grooves but a Lee FCD would allow you to crimp anywhere on the bullet to achieve the correct OAL.

If you are looking for some heavyweight moulds, CBE in Australia make a few that work well. I have their 376300 and it is very accurate. They have another with a wider meplat and similar weight. If I was doing it all over again I’d probably opt for that one.

I picked up a Mihec mould designed for several 375 cal cartridges. It’s about 250gr and has his version of the Cramer HP pin arrangement. It is a very useful hunting bullet.

Another to look out for is the Ranchdog designed moulds. He did a lot of work with the 375 Win cartridge. His moulds are available through NOE I believe.

If you want to try a bullet that looks similar to the RCBS, this one is available at Midway. It may be the RCBS mold. I use the .376 diameter version in my 375 BigBore. I add a gas check, but they are rated to 1600fps without one.They seem to fit my bore, as no leading has occurred. I load them from 1000 to 1600 FPS.

Hunters Supply Hard Cast Bullets 38-55 WCF (376 Diameter) 260 Grain Lead Flat Nose

Boolit Master
    ive found with cast bullets in the 375 basically a full case of powder either 1680, 4198 or reloder7 works great the cast bullets either the 375449 or the lee offering, ive shot both with success in an original pre safety big bore win 94, both cast bullets seat so much deeper than the jacketed 200 grain bullets it seriously limits case capacity.
    what really surprised me when I first got the 375 is the recoil. I remember bracing myself thinking it would kick like a 375 h&h but it is much closer recoil to a 30-30.
    every boolit I load in the 375 is cast of clip on wheel weights with a bit of tin added, lube sized at .376 with carnauba red.
    only problem I ever had was with a cartridge getting stuck in the action because the length was off a bit.

I have had the Win Big Bore, Marlin and now #3 Rugers. My Bro has the TC carbine. I don’t think any of my loads recoiled enough to be unpleasant in any of the above. This includes 270gr and 300gr jacketed with stiff loads behind them. My #3 in 47/70 is unpleasant with hot loads.

15 or so years ago, Ranch Dog designed the SC379-235-RF specifically for the Marlin in 375 Winchester. NOE continues to sell that mold and it works great in my Marlin as well as a Wesson & Harrington 38-55 with full throttle loads. For general shooting, it is really hard to beat the Lee boolit. Most of the 375's and 38-55's I have worked with like cast bullets sized to either .377 or .379.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe I had a small brown bag full of cases for the 375 Winchester that I never used . I believe they might be " once fired " but don't remember for sure as it has been years since I looked at them . I will be glad to sell if anyone interested . Probably 50 pcs , or so . I use the LEE mold for my 38-55 , works fine . Regards Paul

Boolit Mold
    Paul,
    PM'ed about the brass.
    Cheers!
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12