RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 Win

375 Win

I just bought a 94 Winchester in 375 Win.
    I see there’s a few appropriate j-word bullets.
    But I’m interested in getting a mold.
    Before I buy another mold however, I’d like to buy different styles from a pro.

Please let me know who you’d recommend and if you have a favorite mold for the 375 let me know that too. Thanks.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    The Lee 255 gr is a really nice bullet that casts and shoots well in my BB94, a real bargain! They are so inexpensive you should just grab one! My NOE ia a clone of the Lyman 375449 is a gc hp that shoots very well and can easily do anything in the 375. I treat mine more like a +p 38-55 because that’s plenty enough for anything in Tennessee. The Lee on 10 gr of 2028, or unique, is cloverleaf accurate in both BB94s we have shot it in and runs about 1250, no filler needed. I don’t remember my load for the NOE but it runs around 1700 and goes thru our deer end to end, much less sideways! Groups were typical for me with open sights nowadays, 3 ish for 5 at 100 in good light. Uses RL7 powder, memory says 26 grains.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

375449 is a great bullet
    I shot my Win 94 Big Bore in 375 this morning
    LOTS of power !!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I've been using a RCBS mold 37-250-FN
    It's a gas check mold. Works well in my Marlin.

Last edited by MOA; 06-11-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Boolit Man
    Where are you getting your brass? I passed on a .375 because I couldn't find a source of brass. I've communicated with Starline about making .375 and .405 Winchester brass with no luck. They make some seriously non-mainstream caliber brass but not these two.

Edit: Never mind. Starline does make .375 brass now. But no .405.
    Last edited by cp1969; 06-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use the short 38-55 brass, my chamber measures 2.10 deep, it fits better than the 375 Winchester. I don’t load to the full pressure of the 375 so have zero interest in whether or not it is a strong. It’s plenty strong for my loads, and top end 375 in a 6 lb rifle is not fun!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I've found brass lots of places over the years. Grafs, midway, Bass Pro, Cabela's. The secret to 375 brass is when you find it always buy it, each and every time. Even if you don't think you need it. Of course that's only if you shoot it often.

Banned

Not a .375, but that Lee bullet works real well in my .38-55. Then again, it seems to like just about every style of cast bullet I've shot in it.

Boolit Master
    That lee bullet has the record for water penetration for me. On 8 gr of Unique, it penetrated over 5 feet of water, and the pool liner! Nothing else has ever made it to the bottom! Glad it was warm enough to go for a swim and put a patch on, bullet is still under there!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota View Post
    I just bought a 94 Winchester in 375 Win.
    I see there’s a few appropriate j-word bullets.
    But I’m interested in getting a mold.
    Before I buy another mold however, I’d like to buy different styles from a pro.

Please let me know who you’d recommend and if you have a favorite mold for the 375 let me know that too. Thanks.
    Get a gascheck mold - then you can run this one full throttle anytime you want -

I had Tom at Accurate cut me a two cavity mould, one hole 250 gr GC and a 300 gr. PB both at .380” for all intents and purpose the .375 Win. barrels are 38-55 barrels dimensionally . 380” bullets fill the throat and excellent accuracy , 20 grs of IMR 4759 is perfect . I use .38-55 load data for cast bullets . I wouldn’t do another two different bullets in the same mould, I had to try it and their a pain in the butt.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I've been using a RCBS mold 37-250-FN
    It's a gas check mold. Works well in my Marlin.

Thanks. Timely as I am picking up my Marlin 375 from LGS today.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Thanks. Timely as I am picking up my Marlin 375 from LGS today.

I've gotten best performance from 38-55 brass. The 94s and Marlins are chambered for it, and the shorter 375 brass leaves a very long jump for the bullet (through a .4"+ diameter hole) before reaching the rifled bore. At that point tho bullet has tipped significantly.
    Test your chamber first for appropriate brass. That will effect your bullet design choice.

Boolit Buddy
    As far as j-word bullets for the 375, the best was the 220 grain Hornady FN which has been discontinued. Sierra makes a 200 gr FN but I found in my Marlin that it did not shoot as well as the Hornady. The Speer load books I have show using their 235 gr semi-spritzer in the 375 loaded to the correct COL but I would be careful putting more than two rounds in the gun; one in the chamber and one in the mag. Also, this bullet is designed for faster speeds than the 375 can attain so expansion may not occur. Barnes makes/made 200 and 250 gr FN bullets at one time but I am unsure if they still do. Lastly, there is a small bullet maker, Vollmer Precision, that makes 375 bullets who lists them for the 375.

As far as cast bullets for the 375, you have to remember the nose shape of the round was modified from the parent cartridge, the 38-55. The nose is somewhat longer, approaching 0.50" measured from the flat point tip to the crimp groove. If using cast bullets designed for the 38-55 this will increase the jump distance to the rifling and greatly impact the available powder capacity (which is not a problem with light loads but it is a big problem for full pressure loads especially with 250 grain bullets). Check Accurate Molds for bullet designs that have longer nose profiles for the 375.

If you are going to shoot cast you can blow out 30/30 brass very easy. 5-7gr bullseye and filler will do it. I had Marlin 375 and shot a 200gr Ideal 38/55 cast, still have the mold but don’t memorize mold numbers, got to many. Sized .377” gun shot between 1.5” & 2.25” average 5 shot groups at 100yds. IMR-3031 powder.
    Since, traded off Marlin and got a couple Ruger #3s in 375W. Haven’t had time to work with them yet this year. Last year left off with 235gr Speer Semi-Spitzer. The pointed bullet closes up groups.
    Under 100yds probably doesn’t matter. 375w is legal in Ohio for deer. A lot of the cartridges that are legal are no real advantage over slugs, for range. Most shots are under 100yds but I want to be able to take that occasional long shot. Straight case, 38cal minimum I think 375w is close to best with the exception of .405Win, which I have no experience with.

I’m getting 100 cases and sizing dies with the rifle I appreciate the recommendations!

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Master
    Is yours a top eject or the later angle eject? Mine is a top eject, and has become my favorite lever gun, by a far margin! Light, accurate, plenty of power to spare and loves cast bullets!

I bought a Win 94 BB AE barrel from Numrich that was pre chambered in 375 Win. I turned it to fit a 20 ga. shotgun barrel as a liner in a H&R Topper and made a lightweight carbine rifle with it.
    Like rking22 I use the thinner 38-55 brass and load the Lee boolit over I 4198 and it shoots good.
    If I use 375 Win brass I need to use a .375 jacketed bullet for it to chamber but it shoots them good also. The Lee plain base boolit casts about .378-.379 and shoots well as cast using 2.080” 38-55 brass, the Win chamber seems to be a little longer than 375 Win. length.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 06-12-2020 at 07:08 PM.

I use the Lee boolit in my 38-50, 38-55s and a JES rebored 336 .375 win. It works very well. Does anyone have a load for it with H322? Mostly use 8.5gr of unique as suggested by Marlinman93.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast