MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saeco #383 140 grain 9mm/38 Super bullet

Saeco #383 140 grain 9mm/38 Super bullet

I believe I brought this up a while back, but there was not enough interest. A new Saeco 4 cavity mold for this boolit is near $200. An M-P molds 6 cavity brass, or 8 cavity aluminum mold for less money would be much more desirable. RJM52 posted some excellent pics of this boolit on an old thread which you can see here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uper-SAECO-383

It seems to me that this medium weight boolit with a long nose and large meplat would be ideal for the 38 Super and also should work well in 9mm. These boolits are available from Montana Bullet Works, but at about a quarter each plus shipping in the 500 piece quantity, they are cost prohibitive for plinking. I can buy loaded factory 9mm for much less that that. Accurate Molds has some designs that are close, but not a direct copy. It seems that in the last few years the 9mm popularity has taken the shooting culture by storm. I would not hesitate to carry this bullet for a defense load in 38 Super, and maybe in 9mm. Now that some time has passed since I last posted about this, is there any interest? I hope RJM52 chimes in here and posts some more of his knowledge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0720.jpg  
    Last edited by Hardcast; 08-10-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I see that's a flat nosed bullet.
    You could order from Accurate Molds.
    He does great work. Last week I got 5 cavity custom designed mould from him. Cost me $150.
    Ordered on Saturday, received on Thursday!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    I see that's a flat nosed bullet.
    You could order from Accurate Molds.
    He does great work. Last week I got 5 cavity custom designed mould from him. Cost me $150.
    Ordered on Saturday, received on Thursday!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I know he has great service but his webpage on custom designs says he cannot make an exact copy, even if you send him a sample bullet. I really want an exact copy. Also, I admit a 5 cavity is slightly better than a 4, it is not as good as a 6 or 8 cavity, and we know that the quality of Miha's molds is impeccable. That is why I was hoping of enough interest for a group buy. But so far, it does not look like this design is ringing anyone chimes but RJM52 and me. In all honesty, I can afford the Saeco mold, but I do not relish sitting at the casting table with a 4 cavity steel mold, when a 6 cavity brass or 8 cavity aluminum would be so much more productive.
    Last edited by Hardcast; 06-15-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Trying to add photo

Pic of Saeco #383
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0545.jpg  

Boolit Master

Yup its a good super bullet!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I'd be interested in an Aluminum 8-cavity mold of this design.

Well, that makes a whole 2 of us. I have already ordered the Saeco 4 cavity iron mold. It is supposed to arrive around the middle of this month.

Boolit Master

That boolit won't work in 9mm. I've tried several similar designs and run into seating depth problems.
    NRA Benefactor.

I'm A Honcho!
    Just sent to Bob K this morning to work the design. Might help if you know of someone with the mold for samples. I’m assuming you want an exact clone.

JB.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Just sent to Bob K this morning to work the design. Might help if you know of someone with the mold for samples. I’m assuming you want an exact clone.

JB.
    I have a a few for samples, but there is not much interest for a group buy. Just checked Miha's rules, and a new design requires 30 orders. And yes, I want an exact copy, with no modifications of any kind.
    Last edited by Hardcast; 07-09-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    That boolit won't work in 9mm. I've tried several similar designs and run into seating depth problems.
    RJM52 reported he fired some of these in an S&W 9mm several years ago and they ran fine. See the link to his thread in the original post. As soon as I get enough ambition, I am going to load some in 9mm and try them in my S&W Model 39 and SIG 938.
    Last edited by Hardcast; 07-09-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Boolit Master

It is a great looking bullet............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I was privileged to borrow a 4 cav. I have a goodly supply now to "play" with!

So far its excelled in the 38 super a d s
    Flopped in the 350 legend.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post

JB.
    bluejay75, Sent you an email about this yesterday. Did you receive it?

Boolit Master
    I am always up for anything .38 super. I also have a Spanish Destroyer carbine that a HP version would be much anticipated.

Update: My Saeco mold for this boolit from Midway was predicted to arrive on July 14th, and them changed to July 22nd. Here it is Aug 4th and no sign of it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of the Saeco 383 molds and it is nice. I like it for the 38 Super. I have used in the 9mm, but it gave me problems. I really would like a 6, or 8, cavity aluminum mold from Miha.

Boolit Master

Good looking bullet! I have never looked at or seen one in person. That would be a good one for my Hi-Power clone, it really likes longer heavier bullets.

They work great in 9mm !!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	265978Just loaded 11 rounds of this boolit in 9mm with 7.0 gr. of AA7. OAL-1.124".They loaded in the magazines just fine, and also fed and functioned just fine. Fired 6 in my S&W model 39 and 5 in my SIG P938. I believe I have a winner. Still waiting on the Saeco mold from MidwayUSA that was due in on July 22nd.. Now not only do they not answer phone calls, but as of a week or so ago, they were not taking emails either.

Edit 8/13/20: Just received an email from Midway saying that my Saeco #383 mold has been shipped. With any luck I will be casting with it late next week. Won't be near as fast as an MP Molds 8 cavity, but better than nothing.
    Last edited by Hardcast; 08-13-2020 at 07:26 PM.

The mold arrived yesterday so I dug out the old Pro Melt and it still works! Turned at least a half pot of alloy into a pile of boolits. Its been a couple decades since I last cast any so I had to refresh my memory. It's all about technique. All the time I was casting with the heavy iron mold, I was thinking about how much nicer it would be if I were using an 8 cavity aluminum mold. I would have nearly twice the production and less wear on my senior citizen hands and wrists.

Have pics but the website is not able to upload them. I will try later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast