Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for black powder low pressure load data for my 10 gauge

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I am still waiting for my roll crimper to arrive and figured I wanted to waterproof my stock a little better than putting a coat of wax over 16 coats of BLO. I applied 3 coats of minwax antique finish over the top. Apparently is varnish and tung mixed together. It put a nice sheen over the stock. Not perfect, but it's getting to nice to hunt with.lol

3B: that came out nice!

I used the Minwax "Helmsman" spray Polyurethane on my A5 wood and it is very durable. It is some of the easiest spray finish I have ever used. Mist is so fine you can't hardly screw it up. I did about 6-8 thin coats and cooked them for 2+hours between coats in the heater closet in the house.

Came out good, and is on there to stay.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

The antique oil is a wipe on finish. I applied the first coat and sanded with 600 grit sandpaper and buffed off the excess antique oil with an old sock. The next two coats I applied and buffed off in approx 5 minutes. I didn't want it to shiny so I quit after 3 coats.

Boolit Master
    I like it. Shiny but not glossy. Great looking stock and good job!

I went out today and tried 40 yards and 50 yards with my same RST hulls using 692 grains of BPI #6’s and 100 grains of Fg. The only difference was I roll crimped them this time VS just gluing in an over shot card.

I had 12 hits in my turkey head target at 40 yards and only 5 hits at 50 yards. I then tried the same load but in a federal hull. I had 13 hits at 40 yards. I put a pop can behind my 50 yard target. The #6 BPI nickel plated pellets passed through the cardboard box my target was stapled to and then completely through the pop can I placed in the box to test for penetration. I don’t plan on taking a 50 a yard shot but if for some reason my bird hangs up at 40 yards I won’t hesitate to shoot it. I can tell you if that was a real bird at 50 yards today it would have been dead as a door nail IMO. One pellet to the brain and one in the neck vertebrae. Same with the RST hull 40 yard shot. I guess I just get lucky a lot with a pellet to the brain.

My first target i shot with a roll crimp RST hull at 40 yards...

My second shot with the same load at 50 yards...

And here was my last test at 40 yards with the same load but with a federal hull...

I must have had a “hot” pellet or piece of powder melt part of one of my RST cases. Here is picture of the fired hulls after I slid them onto my dowel and heated the crimps with a heat gun to straighten them out...

When I inspected it the hole did not burn all the way through but I took the shell out of service just to be safe. The other two cases look great yet. I might order some brass case in the near future.

So in the future if I didn’t burn a hole completely through a case I would assume I can still load it again?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-07-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar experience shooting a few 12 ga BP loads. 3 ea RP Gun Club fired cases and 3 Rio new cases. 5 of the 6 had small holes after firing. I was shooting round balls so no "hot Pellets" in those loads. I just tossed the cases as 12's are pretty easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I had a similar experience shooting a few 12 ga BP loads. 3 ea RP Gun Club fired cases and 3 Rio new cases. 5 of the 6 had small holes after firing. I was shooting round balls so no "hot Pellets" in those loads. I just tossed the cases as 12's are pretty easy to find.

Must have been a nice big chunk of an Fg gradual that stuck to my case.

Well, a follow up to this post. Today was my turkey opener. I got a dandy Tom! He came in full strut around 10:48 AM. I let the hammer fly and when the smoke cleared he was on the ground. I didn’t weigh the bird but can tell it has to be one one heaviest birds I have ever shot. It has 2 beards, 10.5” and 7.1/4”. The Spurs were 1.5”. I used megasupermagnums suggested load. Thanks for the help!

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like you got this all figured out!

Congratulations! Nice Tom! And with a BP load in an old timer! And with the smell of sulphur in the air! What more could a guy ask for!?! Okay, a nice cold beer... but that's it!

Good going!

Longbow

Lol... I took the barrels off and left them in my house while I cleaned the bird today. I walked back in my house 20 minutes later and the WHOLE HOUSE smelled like burnt sulfur. Boy, does that leave a strong odor but luckily I like the smell! I’m going to mount the fan and beard...and hang my gun below it.

Boolit Grand Master

If I could find someone to make perfume that smells like burnt BP and my wife would wear it I'd be a happy man! I love the smell! Must be something wrong with me! Even better is being downwind of a fireworks display! The smell of fireworks BP is the best in my considered opinion!!! But the smell of any BP smells good to me!

Yes, you should be proud of that bird and having got it with a nice old gun and BP!

As for the plastic hulls, I don't recall if I ever had a burn through but hulls did not last long with BP. I don't think I'd worry about it though. If it burns through there may be a puff of smoke at the breech but mostly just dirty chamber. If it burned through right at the edge of the head there might be significant leakage but I doubt it anywhere else. I used to reload the 12 ga. hulls until they were so crisped up they were unusable... and that would be maybe 3 reloads.

Brass hulls would be better, or even paper hulls. Federal still makes paper 12 ga. not sure about 10 ga.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    I have a Parker Hammer gun 10 , Damascus ,also a Remingto 12 that I have many low pressure loads for. I have 2-7/8"Rocky Mountain Brass cases and I am sick of cleaning Black powder and Pyrodex out of this beautiful gun . I have Circle Fly :1/8 " Nitro cards, 1/2" fiber wads and overshot cards . I have 2 plus lbs of 7625 and only half a pound plus of PB.I also have Red N Green dot and Unique. Can you give me some low pressure loads using these components. I am way out in the boondocks and am waiting for price to com down on loading supplies ...if it ever will! .I have lots of load Data for my Remington hammerless Damascus . The highest pressures I have shot are 5900 LUP in the 10 and 5000 in the 12;. Can you help me ?:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20211119_194128707.jpg  
    Last edited by Jeremy; 11-19-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Jeremy

Alliant Powder has 11/4 once Green Dot published loads..

and call The Double Gun Journal and get the (2) issues of Sherman Bell's low pressure 10 gauge loads, along with Ross Seyfried's articles on low pressure 10 gauge loads with newer powders, since SR 4756 and SR 7625 have been discontinued.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

That time of year again! I bought a quad pin 10 gauge roller last year and rolled my crimps. I did it with a drill by hand. Took a good 10 minutes just to do one crimp nice and half way even. Also a really sore hand in the process. I still have a few 2 7/8” BP 1 5/8oz #6 shells loaded from last year so I’m all set with the Charles Daly. I loaded up a few 3.5” 2 oz #6s for my 10 gauge Browning gold last year to try for a test pattern. I finally patterned it and at 40 yards last week. The load has more hits on my turkey target than any 10 gauge factory loads. I had nine Federal cases and a few x10x and Remington sp10 wads given to me by another member here. I had just enough left to do my 9 shells. I went over to a buddies house and borrowed his drill press. It took all of 3 to four second per crimp. I need a drill press!!!! …along with some x10x spacer wads and sp10 wads now. I might have to load up a few extra 2 7/8” BP shells in the next couple of days. Always nice to have spares!

Edited: I brushed on some clear nail polish over the shot cards to waterproof them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-27-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Nice looking shells Sr.

Thanks, knew I had to start reloading for my modern 10 gauge after finally finding my goto federal grand slam number #5’s last spring and finding out the redesigned ammo won’t chamber in my gun now! Federal decided to roll crimp them and in the process the shells are a half inch longer than their original folded over hull star crimped ammo. Also in the process they pushed down to fast crimping and bulged the roll crimps. The front of the hulls are bigger in diameter than OEM specs! I could manually, and forcefully, push a shell into my chamber shooting the gun like a single shot. They would not cycle and jam every time. I called Federal about the issue. They were well aware of it and seemed not to care. Seems there are numerous hunters having the same issue with federal GS 10 ammo not feeding and functioning. My hand loads that are the same length as factory 3.5” ammo and properly roll crimped cycle flawless so I’m all set. Just wish I had #5 shot instead of #6. I’ll have to order some eventually. I haven’t seen Winchester 10 gauge black hull 2oz, #5 loads in years. I’ll grab some of them up if I ever do again as they pattern as good, or better, than the old #5 federal GS’s.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-27-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Well, a follow up to this post. Today was my turkey opener. I got a dandy Tom! He came in full strut around 10:48 AM. I let the hammer fly and when the smoke cleared he was on the ground. I didn’t weigh the bird but can tell it has to be one one heaviest birds I have ever shot. It has 2 beards, 10.5” and 7.1/4”. The Spurs were 1.5”. I used megasupermagnums suggested load. Thanks for the help!

That is great! It should give you a huge sense of accomplishment to get this bird after bringing the gun back to life!

It does. I made a plaque out of an old picture frame I had laying around and mounted the fan behind it. Didn’t like the looks of the mounting kits offered so I made my own.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-28-2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

OK 3B !!!,,, that is cool !!!! Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

If you look at the beard above the main beard was starting to split into 2. I’m guessing it wouldn’t have been long before this bird would have had tripplebeards I’m guessing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast