Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 1873 44-40 cast bullet load

Boolit Mold
    Hi Savvy,

Thanks, still have not gotten around to reload for the 44-40. But hope to start soon.

It seems like we now have Unique available locally as well. Would that be better than 4227?

Regards
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Unique would be better for light loads than 4227, and much more economical as you would use a bit less than half as much powder.

With a 200-grain bullet 7 grains is a good starting load, about 1050 fps at 6700 psi, according to Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.208. Lyman lists 8.6 grains as max. for 1226 fps at 12,600 psi. To be gentle with your older Winchester rifle I would inclined not exceed 8 grains as a maximum, and would recommend you work in the range of 7.0-7.5 grains to find best accuracy. If possible check velocity with a chronograph to keep loads subsonic in your longer barrel, as this generally gives best results and is adequate for most field shooting.

Savvy Jack may have more recent pressure-tested .44-40 data with Unique powder, but I have found Lyman 4th Edition a good resource.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44-40 View Post
    Hi Savvy,

Thanks, still have not gotten around to reload for the 44-40. But hope to start soon.

It seems like we now have Unique available locally as well. Would that be better than 4227?

Regards
    Matt

Unique is fine for both old and new 73's as long as you stick with the Lyman loads, however, your velocities may be slower than desired. Unique is also probably preferred if only shooting out to 100 yards. You may see better or worse performance than others see greater than 100 yards. It gets a little more complicated than that, but we will keep simple for right now. Unique is a fast burning pistol powder and if you try to load for original velocities in rifles, you will exceed max pressures for revolvers and weak action rifles like the 73'. Uberti chambered their 73' in 44 Mag, so we have that going for us too.....

IMR-4227 has about the same burn rate as the original 73' smokeless rifle powder and is also considered a rifle powder although it is referred to as a "magnum" powder. However, this powder is position sensitive and is best when used in bulk, and is a bit much when loaded properly for revolvers and weak action rifles like the 73'. 2400 powder falls in the same lines as IMR-4227.

Reloder 7 is best for replicating original 1,325fps loads and is very accurate out to 300 yards. Although maybe not as accurate as black powder, Reloader 7 retains low chamber pressures compared to the "same velocities" as with Unique and is the reason we can get faster velocities for the 73's. Reloder 7 is probably the slowest burning of the "slower burning" fast burning smokeless powders out there. I have not "cleaned" my bore in nearly 1,000 rounds and I still get tight groups (tight for the 44-40 anyway), however, Reloder 7 leaves unburnt powder grains down the rifle barrel.

Which is best? It depends on what you want to accomplish.

Plinking - Unique (its cheaper per shot)
    Hunting - Unique if 75 yards or less (its cheaper per shot)
    Hunting - Reloder 7 out to at least 250 yards if your aim is good. My loads should retain nearly 1,000fps @ 300 yards while modern Winchester Super-X loads are barely 1,025fps at the muzzle in a carbine!!!! Back in the day, Winchester hunting loads were advertised at 990fps at 300 yards., the same as the muzzle velocity from a revolver....back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Unique would be better for light loads than 4227, and much more economical as you would use a bit less than half as much powder.

With a 200-grain bullet 7 grains is a good starting load, about 1050 fps at 6700 psi, according to Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.208. Lyman lists 8.6 grains as max. for 1226 fps at 12,600 psi. To be gentle with your older Winchester rifle I would inclined not exceed 8 grains as a maximum, and would recommend you work in the range of 7.0-7.5 grains to find best accuracy. If possible check velocity with a chronograph to keep loads subsonic in your longer barrel, as this generally gives best results and is adequate for most field shooting.

Savvy Jack may have more recent pressure-tested .44-40 data with Unique powder, but I have found Lyman 4th Edition a good resource.
    yes, stick with Lyman's suggested loads!!

My chamber pressure tests can be found here:

Reloder 7 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=819756635
    Unique - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=698638222
    IMR-4227 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1932105783
    Black Powder - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=598633334

Other powders and loads are also available by using the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

The below published load data shows Reloder 7 for a 240gr lead bullet. Make sure you use a typical RNFP design, for I have found erratic pressures for different design 240gr bullets.

Attachment 286676

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. I am not comfortable to hunt at more than 50 yards with open sights and the rifle will mostly be used for plinking. So I am happy to keep is sub-sonic.

I would have loved to give Reloader 7 a try, but for some reason they did not bring any in to South africa.

Savvy, can I try unique with 250grain cast bullets? Or is it risky? I have about 200 of them and have not bought everything I need to start casting.

Boolit Master

Savvy Jack,

Those are some interesting Loads.
    Thanks for sharing all Your Hard work.

In the past I've loaded 250gr N.O.E. #TL432-247-RF with 6.0grs of Unique in a Uberti 1873. That works safely in My 1937 Colt and Uberti 1873. Shoots high in Win 1892 and Uberti SAA.
    Good Luck, be Safe.

These loads I listed above are safe in My listed firearms. Use caution, they may not be safe in yours.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Matt44-40 View Post
    Thanks guys. I am not comfortable to hunt at more than 50 yards with open sights and the rifle will mostly be used for plinking. So I am happy to keep is sub-sonic.

I would have loved to give Reloader 7 a try, but for some reason they did not bring any in to South africa.

Savvy, can I try unique with 250grain cast bullets? Or is it risky? I have about 200 of them and have not bought everything I need to start casting.

I can not suggest using Unique with anything but 200gr to 205gr bullets, as published.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to load BP Sub CleanShot w/ 200gr cast lean FP bullet. in my orig 1873 rifles.
    Accuracy was decent out to 100yrds. One is an orig 44-40. The other a rebore from 38-40.
    Then I wandered into smokeless so as to avoid the clean up, though it was admittedly very little work.

I settled on a load right out of the Alliant Reloading Guide. One of their 'Cowboy Loads'

Same 200 gr FN cast bullet. I buy them in .427dia.
    MAX load is 5.9 gr of Red Dot
    ..STARTING LOAD is a 10% reduction of that according to the Alliant webpage.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...13&bulletid=14

I Started and stayed right at 5.0 grains of RedDot for the load.
    Accuracy improved greatly over the BP Sub loads and after several years of using that load absolutely no damage to the rifles.

I use it in a Win 92 SRC and a Colt Bisley as well.
    Just range toys.

Heavier weight cast 44 bullets I have, but I keep them for loading in 44special in a SAA.
    I've just always stuck with the 200gr FN cast bullet in the 44-40.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    If the rifle is in good shape, a load of H or IMR 4227 at 17 - 18grs is an alright start. As long as your lead of choice is sized proper.
    Good question. I load for a break action Cape Gun the barrel is heavy the chamber wall close to 1/2" thick. Most loads designed with a pistol cartridge in mind seem rather light. I've been shooting a 245 grain lead bullet over 12 grains of AA#7, it shoots accurate, but seems a bit on the light side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12