RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Lee hand press

OK; let me explain again.

When I designed my tool I had a Lee Hand Press in my hands. The leverage on that tool works exactly like a crankshaft, the leverage increases the closer you get to "top dead center." I optimized that ratio on mine and also increased the ratio between the pivot points on the handles. Mine has about 30% more mechanical advantage over the Lee Tool.

There is a video on Youtube where Gavin is sizing fired .308 Machine Gun Brass, which is about the hardest stuff there is to size, in one stroke !!! It takes me 3 strokes on my Rockchucker.

It will size any brass round shorter than 3.75". I have one guy who does .577 NE on his in the field. People are using it for sizing boolits, which I never intended, but if it will, then do it. About the only way you can hurt it is by dropping it on a cement floor.

By following the instructions included with the tool you see that F/L sizing operations are done in front of your chest using both arms opposing each other. then turn the press sideways to remove the cartridge from the die. The hardest cases I've done myself were .375 Weatherby Mags. And pushing the case into the die was not hard at all . Getting it back out over the expander ball was hard because the press was way down in its lowest leverage area and the expander ball was on an old style and had square edges instead of the newer oval shape.

Every other operation is most easily done by clamping the press to a table top. The .577 guy put a piece of Velcro Tape on the bottom of his press and made a Velcro Strap to go around his leg and loaded ammo every night at the campfire. So you can do everything without clamping to a table. It is just easier to clamp it to a table. The clamps are $5 ?

See the video here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=1s There are others there as well.

I have loaded lots of .30-06's .308's .303 Brits, .45-70's and .44 magnums. I once did 200 .30 Cal. Carbines in 2 hours. The tool is just as fast as a bench mounted single stage press and especially if you got the LNL Version..

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-01-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

The problem with the Lee design is the same as all the old "C" type presses - the force isn't resolved symmetrically, so the frame bends in response. Even if it doesn't take a permanent set, like mine did, it gets forced out of alignment with every stroke. Misalignment gives you base heads which are out-of-square. You won't notice it in pistols, but it's a known factor when dealing with precision rifle brass.

I have for many years used a pair of H.D.S. Compac tools, (the predecessor to Randy's design) which RCBS sold for a few years. While they are not quite as strong as Randy's tool, they will easily size anything that will fit in, and because the force resolution paths are symmetrical, the ram and die always stay in alignment.

Love the Velcro idea! It would certainly work!
    Cognitive Dissident

You've got to use common sense, but I can't encourage that stance as my merely months old daughter kicked my sternum hard enough to crack it. That only hurt when laughing, smiling, or catching a deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I place one handle on my chest and pull in the other with both arms. Keeps the press nice and straight. Might not be fun but it works, I've FL sized 30-06 with no issues.

There is no way the Buchanan press is as fast as a bench press, especially a c press, for operations other than sizing rifle brass. For belling brass or for sizing pistol brass or for primer seating even, I get a rythme going and move my left hand with the next case as my right hand is operating the press handle. Having to have both hands on either the lee hand press or the Buchanan greatly decreases the speed. Now, that's not to say the Buchanan press isn't top quality.

Boolit Grand Master

Who’s saying it’s faster? It fills a different niche then a bench mounted press. I can load in a hotel room or at the range or anywhere I want w/ the kit I made up. I can’t do that w/ a bench mounted press. The presses I have at home are different designs and they all vary greatly in speed as well. I would not want to be w/out the presses at home just like would not want to be w/ out Randy’s press.

Randy said it in the last paragraph of his last post.

Boolit Grand Master

Question about Lee hand press

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Randy said it in the last paragraph of his last post.
    Missed that part. I won’t argue speed because everyone works at a different pace. Batch processing does go at a pretty good clip if you want it to. And it’s certainly faster when you’re using it somewhere where a conventional press isn’t available. Like I said, it fills a niche.

With Randy's press clamped to a table, I think I could size as many cases per hour as I could with the Rockchucker. And I wouldn't be banging my knee or other sensitive body parts with the press handle, either.

For either one I have an ultra-simple "case kicker" that ejects the sized case at the bottom of the stroke, which really speeds up sizing pistol and small rifle cases.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    And I wouldn't be banging my knee or other sensitive body parts with the press handle, either.
    I don't think you're doing it right...

Bazoo: If you'd buy one, you'd be able to evaluate it a little more accurately. You've never even held one in your hands or seen one in person. How could you possibly know how to operate it? It is just as fast as any Single Stage Press and I know that because I HAVE loaded thousands of rounds with mine. That video of loading 5 rounds of .44 Mags is 8:35 long, that included Me talking about it.

Usually takes 30-40 minutes to load a box of 50 ea. .308's, .30-06's or .303's with Neck Sizing. Throwing and weighing the powder charges takes the most time. I use an RCBS PM with a drop tube with a Trickler in the drop tube. Charge is dropped directly into the pan on the digital scale about .2-.3 short and the trickled to +/-.1 This all takes about 5-10 seconds unless I drop the pan and have to clean up the mess.

I loaded 200 .30 Cal. Carbine rounds for a friend in 2 hours. All operations were done clamped to the table because they didn't take that much force to size. Priming was done with a RCBS Hand Tool, Cases were belled and charged in the next operation, bullets seated and then crimped in the same operation. It took about 30-35 minutes to run all 200 rounds thru one operation, except the priming which only took 15 minutes. Cases were charged directly from the PM using H110 while going back to the loading block.

That is 6-7 rounds a minute, or 9-10 seconds per round. Not even breaking a sweat as I was sitting in my dining room. You can develop a rhythm just as easily with this tool as you can with any other. I also have a background in Production Machining on Manual Machines so I can figure out a process pretty quick. It really ain't that hard.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    If your sole concern is speed, buy a high dollar progressive and have at it.

A single stage or turret press will enable you to load high quality ammunition in a reasonably efficient manner.

A portable press such as the Lee, the discontinued Lyman, Randy's or any of the less known ones will not be quite as fast or have the leverage advantage of a bench press, but they are portable.

So you buy what suits your needs, and if you are sufficiently enthusiastic about reloading buy one or more of each!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    So you buy what suits your needs, and if you are sufficiently enthusiastic about reloading buy one or more of each!
    I fall into this category. I don’t have an automated progressive but have all the rest. Because of my work schedule I use Randy’s press the most. But I don’t see a reason to own only it. That’s like owning one gun. Talk about a boring life

I use my Lee hand press a lot with handgun cartridges when it's too hot in the garage to run my bench presses. Use it for sizing, de-priming, flaring, bullet seating and crimping. Typically do not load more than 100 cartridges at a time, though.

About the only thing I don't like about the Lee hand press is the way it handles spent primers. The ram doesn't hold may and isn't easy to dump. If it was designed with a drop tube off the bottom of the ram like thier Challenger press it would ne nicer.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

If all you want is more hand grip length not a truly longer lever then there is a way.
    pick up some 1/4" x width of wide part of handle in the length of the desired extension plus a couple inches or so. 2 3/16 - 1/4" roll pins the same width as the handle. SOme good epoxy JB weld, plastic steel, plastic aluminum or such.
    Lay out a 1/4" wide groove thru the center of the handle the wide way. drill a 1/4" hole at the bottom on center of soon to be slot. Cut slot in small with a fine toothed hacksaw lubed with wax. ( an endmill and 1/4 endmill makes this way easier) glue the 1/4" by in the slot clamp and let cure. 1/2" up from bottom and 1/2" down from top on center drill and press the roll pins in. You now have the needed extension sticking up. If you have room for it drill a 1/4" hole thru this part and counter sink on each side. with modeling clay tape ot rubber tubing form up the new grip from bottom to top. With clay form it around handle with a thick wall cut in half and raise up to needed height and reform around sealing the seam off as best as possible. Mix epoxy (here a thinner is better) and pour in to top of form and keep it filed as the cross hole countersinks and air bubbles voids fill. Let cure and remove clay. File end to shape and remove sharp edges. When done you have a longer handle with a steel brace / support in it that matches the original. Fill in any voids and paint lee red.

If you increase the dia of the handles all the way down then the 2 roll pins will be filled and hidden also. If the 1/4" slot dosnt look to leave enough on each side go to 1/8" wide

No offense, C.G., but it's already possible to bend the aluminum Lee without adding to grip length. I did it, and I'm not Superman.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

None taken. I assumed he had big hands that didnt fit the grip comfortably. If the added length is an issue he could as easily make the clay form and lower the grip to make the grip longer. I didnt think to post this sorry.

Boolit Master
    I saw my friend use a pair of leather gloves with the thumb and first finger cut off.
    He said it made things work perfect for him.
    Another uses a couple pieces of black rubber pipe insulation on the handles.
    I was a construction worker and mechanic so my hands were tough.
    They were a teacher and an office manager. Hands a little softer.
    It can make the needed difference.
    When doing repetitious work using handles.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 04-05-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Another thing, when I reload, I never reload against the clock. It makes a thing tedious. I enjoy reloading and only check the time to keep appointments.
    I reload till I am tired or to finish a batch.
    It's more fun that way.
    It takes as long as it takes.
    Sometimes I set up to reload on Dillon 550 to load, other times I decap using a LEE primer punch or resize using a single stage RCBS Rockchucker.
    Never monotonous, but rather taking different paths to the same result.
    Just because I can, I also use the LEE hand press too.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-06-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    For the record Randy, does your press play well with ALL brands of “standard” (RCBS type) shell holders! I just changed a shell holder on a limited production re- and decapping (only) tool and was amazed to discover that it would work well with a RCBS shell holder, but not with a Lee(???). I had never had another tool of any sort give me that problem before, but it did make me wonder.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast