WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Lee hand press

Mine seems to work with all brands, I have Lee, C&H, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and some others? You do realize that shell holders are supposed to be standardized as far as the base's configuration. That way they fit in anyone's Press Ram. I'm talking the O/D of the base, and the thickness of that base, and the width of the groove above the base. They are the only dims that matter.

My Shell Holder Adapter is a copy of C&H's and Dave told me to make my own as he couldn't supply me with enough, so I copied his dimensions but made the part from 303 stainless. Then I took his retaining clip to a friend with a spring winding shop and got them made too. I've got another run in the works right now.

All my parts are made on pretty advanced CNC machines and the programs have been sussed out completely over several runs so the parts come out the same way every time. The Aluminum parts area all made on a 5 Axis Machining Center and the last three runs have been completely interchangeable,,, meaning parts from one run are exactly the same as parts from the other two runs like there was no break in the run..

Anyone who has done production machining knows that the parts always vary to some degree, and especially from one run to the next. What I've got going on right now is yielding the best quality and most consistent tools I've produced and every one is coming out nearly perfect.

I sold 4 more over this last weekend. People are really getting scared and realizing that it might be a good idea to start reloading. This Hand Press is the best answer for someone who doesn't want to set up a whole dedicated Reloading Bench or doesn't have the room for one, but still wants a quality tool that will last for a long time..

Pretty happy with the 100% positive reviews.

I have another product I have been selling for the last 25 years, and I have shipped right at 14,000 of my Jeep Seat Riser Kits which raise the seats up in Jeep Wranglers made from 97-06.

I have received exactly "two" back for a refund! That is a record that is unheard for any product and especially over a 25 year period of sales. We are selling more now than ever before, mainly because they made 6 million of those Jeeps and the seats are too low in every single one of them!

So far the Hand Press has been 100%, and I intend to keep it that way.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-08-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

......People are really getting scared and realizing that it might be a good idea to start reloading.......

Randy
    I'll say! Powder scarce, primers ultra-scarce, factory bullets, brass, and now even tools! On another thread a guy needed a .30-06 shellholder, and could not find one to buy. Only the most common shellholder there is.....

Gotta double down on what Randy said: For a startup, kitchen-table reloader, there is no better press than his.
    Cognitive Dissident

I'm using the Lee Hand Press as my exclusive reloading method since that's all I've got. My bro and I have loaded almost 2,000 rounds so far with our little press. While I'm somewhat apprehensive sizing .223 with the hand press, it seems doable. I think for pistol reloading it's just about perfect. Although, I think I may have to build up a little more confidence with it to run rifle dies with it.

Variable: Sizing .223 on a Lee press should be no problem at all. In fact going up to .308's or .30-06 shouldn't be a problem either.

On Youtube there is a video of Gavin Gear sizing .308 Machine Gun brass . It is some of the most difficult stuff there is to resize due to the thickness of the brass and the loose chambers it is fired in. It takes me three strokes to do it on my Rockchucker. He was doing it in one stroke with my press !

If you are lacking confidence in the Lee tool you could get one of mine and not have to worry about it. I have one guy who loads .577 Nitro Express with his, and several others doing .338 Lapua.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

High sizing force, as in sizing MG brass, will bend the Lee out of line. Ask me how I know.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I mainly use my Lee hand press for the low pressure jobs,use it with the universal case neck expanding die quire a bit, little pressure needed & good feel. I usually pull the depriming pin out of sizing dies so deprive off that press & hand press works good for that.works upside down for boolit sizing. I have a small wood vise mounted to bench that works good to clamp hand vice in & use it that way also.

Boolit Master
    Never used anything but the Lee hand press. Never needed any other press. Even used one to re- form 30/06 and 270 Win. cases into 8mm Mauser ones. Nary a problem.

I did break one hand press, years ago, though. I was pulling down 7.62 NATO ammo, which happened to have a thick, asphalt-like sealant around the bullets. I wanted to save the components for re-use, so I did not use a solvent to dissolve the sealant, for fear of contaminating the powder. So, anyway, the Lee presses are not indestructable. But, I put the broken press back together with a couple added pcs of angle bracket material and pop rivets...and used it just to decap cases. Worked just fine for that.

Boolit Master
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.Yes, the LEE is not perfect and there's a good chance we'll never see anyone correct the deficiencies with a redesign of this model.
    Barring machine gun and asphalt glued cases and some of us trying to resize cases without lube or without proper lube, the old girl still comes off as usable for most reloading chores
    I like to use it for .25, 32,both acp and .32 S&W as well as .32 H&R., .38 special and sometimes .223 and .30-30.
    .308 and .30'06.
    I usually resize with RCBS jr. press the .357 mag, .44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 45-70Govt, 444 Marlin just because it's easier, but not because it can't be done otherwise.
    The LEE Handloader is enjoyable with the smaller cases also.
    It can work up a sweat sizing 44 mag, 45 Colt, 45/70 and 444Marlin As well as .303 Brit.full loads. .357 Mag hot loads are also a bit strenuous.But, like I said, they are all doable of that's all you've got. An arbor press as well as a six inch Machinist vise makes easy work of the LEE Handloader.
    The hand press, will handle them as well but it will aid even carbide dies to lube the cases. That's a must for straight cases and carbide dies on the larger calibers and Magnum pistol especially.
    I have even used lube on the bench mounted presses and Carbide dies with the Mag loaded and larger cases when sizing.
    It's so much easier.
    I like easy.
    And when tackling a job of sizing that becomes hard on the Hand Press, remember the lube and also lube the ram press a little extra every now and then.Bearings are meant to float on the lube that separates them. Bearings are not meant to run against each other.The clearance is for the lube to keep them separated. When you operate the ram without lubing it, you are introducing a little extra friction making it harder to resize a Mag shell.
    I find a shot of lube on the press ram makes thing go easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    Never used anything but the Lee hand press. Never needed any other press. Even used one to re- form 30/06 and 270 Win. cases into 8mm Mauser ones. Nary a problem.

I did break one hand press, years ago, though. I was pulling down 7.62 NATO ammo, which happened to have a thick, asphalt-like sealant around the bullets. I wanted to save the components for re-use, so I did not use a solvent to dissolve the sealant, for fear of contaminating the powder. So, anyway, the Lee presses are not indestructable. But, I put the broken press back together with a couple added pcs of angle bracket material and pop rivets...and used it just to decap cases. Worked just fine for that.
    Next time seat the sealed projectiles a little deeper into the case ... this breaks the seal and they are then much easier to pull them ... even with an inertia (hammer ) type bullet puller ...
    Trust me on this one ...it works big time .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments.Yes, the LEE is not perfect and there's a good chance we'll never see anyone correct the deficiencies with a redesign of this model.
    Barring machine gun and asphalt glued cases and some of us trying to resize cases without lube or without proper lube, the old girl still comes off as usable for most reloading chores
    I like to use it for .25, 32,both acp and .32 S&W as well as .32 H&R., .38 special and sometimes .223 and .30-30.
    .308 and .30'06.
    I usually resize with RCBS jr. press the .357 mag, .44 mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 45-70Govt, 444 Marlin just because it's easier, but not because it can't be done otherwise.
    The LEE Handloader is enjoyable with the smaller cases also.
    It can work up a sweat sizing 44 mag, 45 Colt, 45/70 and 444Marlin As well as .303 Brit.full loads. .357 Mag hot loads are also a bit strenuous.But, like I said, they are all doable of that's all you've got. An arbor press as well as a six inch Machinist vise makes easy work of the LEE Handloader.
    The hand press, will handle them as well but it will aid even carbide dies to lube the cases. That's a must for straight cases and carbide dies on the larger calibers and Magnum pistol especially.
    I have even used lube on the bench mounted presses and Carbide dies with the Mag loaded and larger cases when sizing.
    It's so much easier.
    I like easy.
    And when tackling a job of sizing that becomes hard on the Hand Press, remember the lube and also lube the ram press a little extra every now and then.Bearings are meant to float on the lube that separates them. Bearings are not meant to run against each other.The clearance is for the lube to keep them separated. When you operate the ram without lubing it, you are introducing a little extra friction making it harder to resize a Mag shell.
    I find a shot of lube on the press ram makes thing go easier.
    I have become a big user of the hand press myself . Convenient to load indoors at home or office .
    My casting and loading room is in an outbuilding without HVAC . Getting old , slowing down and not shooting as much .
    Have 5 bench mounted and two hand presses ... the hand presses get most of the use now .
    If I were still reloading in any volume or loading rifle I would spring for one of the nice Buchanan Units ... wish I were 25 years younger .
    If you are short on space a hand press is well...handy !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123