RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: 450 400 Nitro Express paper patch mold choice

Boolit Master

450 400 Nitro Express paper patch mold choice

I have recently received an Encore barrel in 450 400 NE and I'm wanting to start casting for it. I'm looking at suitable molds at Accurate Molds but I keep going back and forth between 40 caliber molds and 41 caliber molds. I plan to paper patch for this grand old cartridge and I do have some experience paper patching from many years ago (in the mid '90's). Looking at molds around 400gr but wonder if I should patch up .400-.402 molds or patch and size down .410-.412 molds. Also should I go with the slick sided molds or grooved molds. I used full diameter regular molds to paper patch back when I did previously. I'm looking at the following molds:

40-400b
    40-390C
    40-400P
    41-400C
    41-400G
    41-400L
    41-400P

They are on pages 12 and 13 of his catalog. I can provide direct links if needed.

The thoughts on the 41 caliber molds rather than the 40 caliber molds is that I could also powder coat them or lube them in addition to paper patching.

Any idea's or thoughts would be much appreciated, velocities will be around 2,100-2,300fps for these 400gr loads. If I decide on some lighter boolits later that could go up.
    Last edited by Moonie; 05-24-2020 at 09:36 AM.

If you go with a grease groove design, I agree that using a .410 that can be lubed, PCd, or sized down and paper patched makes sense.
    If a smooth sided paper patch boolit is what you want, then get the .400” and patch up to groove (.410” presumably).
    You could start with a .410” slick but I don’t see the point unless you are wed to a particular paper and must size down to something bigger than .400” to start with.
    Put your feelers out here and see if you can come up with some boolits to try out before committing.

Boolit Master

Ended up with a mold with 2 cavities, a 350gr and a 400gr sized so I can paperpatch and size down or powdercoat and gas check (416 gas checks fit them)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400mold.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	263453

Looks like you went with the grooved moulds. Good choice, you won't have to rough them up with files to keep the bullet from shooting out of the paper when you use smokeless powder. I should have asked, are you loading with smokeless or black?

Boolit Master
    You shooting the 3" or 3 1/4" case? I built a 3 1/4" many years ago using the Wesson #1 Long Range Model of 1781 that Steve Earle makes.
    By now you should have some good load data, could I trouble you to share it VIA PM?

thanks,

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    You shooting the 3" or 3 1/4" case? I built a 3 1/4" many years ago using the Wesson #1 Long Range Model of 1781 that Steve Earle makes.
    By now you should have some good load data, could I trouble you to share it VIA PM?

thanks,

Rich
    This is the 3", haven't done much shooting with it as I had a bad fall last year that caused a major rotator cuff injury to my right shoulder. I'm about 90% back now and planing to get back to shooting my elephant cartridges. I have a 375 Hurt&Hurt, this 450 400 NE and have just purchased a new (to me) 458 WM Encore barrel, 27.5" full bull (1") with muzzle brake made by Match Grade Machine with a Shilen blank.