WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is a "Boolit"?

Boolit Bub
    … an indictment of our educational system?

Boolit Master
    A boolit is that piece of lead that comes out of the end of the gun barrel, reaches out and says HOWDY! Once it gets to where it's going, it doesn't really matter how the name of it was spelled.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    When I was younger I use to care at 85 I don't give a crap

Banned

A moronic way to pronounce bullet!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMR View Post
    … an indictment of our educational system?
    We now have 80+ posts on what "boolits" rightly means? Goodness, some of you guys are wound much too tight!

Saying/writing "boolit" has nothing to do with our educational system, it's just a simple word-play joke that any adult with a sense of humor and a love of firearms should grasp immediately! The term was and is nothing more than a light-hearted way for cast bullet shooters to refer to our passion and show a difference in focus between this and other reloading forums.

So, I'm confused by all this supposed confusion. There are a lot of other firearms sites on the web and, like this one, they're all free. If the name of this site really does chaff some people's tender sensitivities like they say then why in the world do they hang around here and be part of it?

Boolit Buddy

Here in PA there are reloaders who refer to the "projectile" components of the cartridge as "tips" or sometimes the redundant version, "bullet tips."

Drives me right up the wall.

Noah

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Bullet heads is one "description" I have heard.

Boolits: that fantastic resource produced in your molds. Powdercoated in ovens, then sized and loaded. Boolets allow me (mostly) unlimited practice with my 357 snubby.

Banned

How about mold or mould?

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    How about mold or mould?
    Now you've done it!

A quick online search turned up just enough information that in American English we use mold. The British use the spelling mould, as do our friends in Canada and some other countries.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolits are homemade while bullets are store bought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    Here in PA there are reloaders who refer to the "projectile" components of the cartridge as "tips" or sometimes the redundant version, "bullet tips."

Drives me right up the wall.
    Ditto "projos"; Arrrrggh .... !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    We now have 80+ posts on what "boolits" rightly means? Goodness, some of you guys are wound much too tight!

Saying/writing "boolit" has nothing to do with our educational system, it's just a simple word-play joke that any adult with a sense of humor and a love of firearms should grasp immediately! The term was and is nothing more than a light-hearted way for cast bullet shooters to refer to our passion and show a difference in focus between this and other reloading forums.

So, I'm confused by all this supposed confusion. There are a lot of other firearms sites on the web and, like this one, they're all free. If the name of this site really does chaff some people's tender sensitivities like they say then why in the world do they hang around here and be part of it?
    Don’t need a lecture!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Don’t need a lecture!
    Okay, I give up, you win. I just thought this was an open ended forum where anyone could freely speak. ???

So, with all that behind us, what do you think we really "need"?

Banned

I know now why they have an ignore user feature!

Boolit Master
    Touchy, touchy!!!! I chuckle to myself every time I type boolits because inevitably it comes out bullets the first time. I am old school and I was brought up to use good grammar and spelling. The internet has totally screwed me up on that one! BUT, that said, I spend as much time editing my spelling errors as I do typing to make sure it is correct every post. I cannot believe you guys are getting into a fight over this!

You want to have some real fun go over to the Cast Bullets Association and use Boolits. Those ol' boys have a real runaway over that word and their panties get really bunched. LOL

I'm now old enough that I don't need or care that some purest tells me what words I have to use for referring to my hobby. I use it to kind of poke fun at serious people. Both come out of the end of a gun if you do everything right and boolits to me means cast not the J word ones.

Merry Christmas to all.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Boolits are homemade while bullets are store bought.
    X2

thats it.

Boolit, a treated lead tip that can be used as a projectile to fire through a weapon. That is what I learned in the forum. Why give it more of a twist? It is the definition of the forum, ready.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post

Some people/places get uptight about 'boolit'. I actually belong to another site that bans that word..and another where it draws criticism.
    I use it when referring to cast lead projectiles.
    I have also seen lube spelt' as 'loob' used in the same way... Lube is store bought...loob is home made...etc.

Boolit Master

The use of 'tips / heads' for some reason irks me.

I realize some use that term because the unwashed masses think bullet referees to the whole assembled cartridge.... During the big ammo rushes..the unwashed masses sometimes try to buy the boxes of component projectiles unaware they are not a complete cartridge...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast