RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Rebel press

Boolit Master

RCBS Rebel press

I just bumped into this new press on the net.
    I no longer take any magazines so I have not seen any announcements but I am curious why it would have an MSRP significantly higher than a Rockchucker.
    EDG

It's about $20-odd dollars or so more at Midway than Natchez sells the rockchucker supreme.

The Rebel is cast Iron, if the rockchucker is Alum. that might be the main difference.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    As per Midway's site, both presses are cast iron. The main difference I'm seeing right now are in the pivot 'arms', the primer collection & the Rebel has a zerk fitting. I haven't noticed that on a press before.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Midway says the rebel is 20% beefier than the RC with RCBS' largest frame opening. Basically it's just a bigger RC.

I'd still like to have an orange Lyman crusher II.

No more option for priming on the press...but i think few used that feature anyway on the Rock Chucker. I'd like to have one for the primer ejection simplicity and the taller clearance, but I've dealt with the primers on the floor problem on my R. C. 2, I don't shoot cases longer than 06, and I'll never wear out what I got......so not much reason to.

I could sell what I have I suppose......it does use the same mounting holes...... BTW, the Summit I have does have a zerk, so it's not the first green press to have one.

Is it in stock anywhere yet? Covid probably slowed down their market date.

BTW, I removed my primer arm (which I never use anyway) and made a kicker and 100% efficient primer catch system in place of it......so makes replacing it less a temptation.

You may notice than the new Rebel did away with the raised platform too, which makes making a kicker near impossible....no place for a case ejection ramp.

The future improvements in single station presses I'd get excited about would be more automation.....as in a case feeder. Wait, John Lee just did that! I'm a RCBS fan to be sure, but their R&D is on the slow side.....needed Improvements on the Pro Chucker 7, even, never came. Big conglomerate syndrome.

I've said this before.....I wish they would get tired of RCBS and sell it. John Lee as the buyer is my pipe dream. Why? Innovation is his middle name, and he needs a quality division to go with his other one.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    I believe Lee's Classic Cast is as well made as it's possible to get for the retail reloader market, period.

IF my old RC II crumbled today there would be no contest, I'd have a Classic Cast bolted on my bench tomorrow. Lee's CC has everything a single stage press user can reasonably ask for and it has MUCH better user features than my RC.

Anyone who thinks a zerk (grease) fitting on a press is a good idea can easily install one on any press they may have. (I much prefer an occasional few drops of good oil instead of any kind of grease.)

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't use lee stuff even if it was free and you paid me!!!!!

I think the Lee Classic Cast is a fine press.....but I wouldn't replace my Rock Chucker with it.

The Lee Classic Cast the lightest by far of any cast iron O frames, it only has a 4 " opening for a 5.45" long cartridge. Not only that, the Lee is also the lightest by far of the O frames that can use the 1 1/4" dies. Heavier O frames that can use the larger dies, include Rockchuckers, back to those made in the 1970's, the Redding Big Boss II, and of course the new RCBS Rebel. Even the Summit press will, but it's not leveraged enough nor can it open it's mouth enough.

The new Rebel is 24.89 lbs....opening? Don't know yet, but it's supposed to be taller the any other RCBS (O frame) press....it can also use the big dies. ("taller" wouldn't include the AmmoMaster BMG.)

Comparing those specs:
    • Redding's Big Boss 2 is 19.65 lbs opens 4.5" and can use the big 1 1/4" dies.
    • Rock Chucker IV is 20.4 lbs opens only 4" and can use the big dies.
    • The Lee Classic Cast is 14.205 lbs. 4" opening, and can use the big dies.

Then there is those only designed to use 7/8" threaded dies:

• The Lyman Victory Press is 23.16 lbs, BUT can only use 7/8" dies.
    • Hornady LNL Iron Press, the real heavy weight, at 28.710 Pounds, only uses 7/8" dies in their LnL bushing.

Curious that the heaviest don't have the large die option.....and the lightest does.....

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I wouldn't use lee stuff even if it was free and you paid me!!!!!
    I have several options when it comes to reloading presses. I own the Redding T7, the Ponsness-Warren 200 ten position turret, two Rockchuckers, a small Lee single stage and the Lee Classic Cast four hole turret. Within it's limitations, I just use it for pistol and small rifle rounds (223, 300 Blackout, 7.62X39 etc.) The press that see's the most use is the Lee Classic Cast. It's a hard press to beat for the money. Gp

RCBS Rebel? were they thinking

Obviously something is wrong at RCBS "design and innovation meetings", It appears that they are reinventing the wheel and keep coming up with just another wheel. It just might be beneficial for RCBS marketing to visit an online auction site to see where the real interest is in reloading presses. Sites are full of Rockchuckers, Jr's, and others alike at average pricing, but whenever an old A series is listed, the price is 200 -300% of the actual value.......boy if I were involved in RCBS marketing. I would be screaming at engineering and design to come up with something similar, rather than...........just another press (with no real purpose), like they say........follow the money.

Boolit Bub
    They should make the A4 once again. It would sell a lot better than the summit and this new press. Even if it costs twice as much than the RC if RCBS would make a big max with standard shell holders instead of the "universal" *** they tried to make in the past it would be a commercial success.

I love RCBS products, but this sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Probably need to come with something new, since the RCBS presses generally last lifetimes and don’t need to be replaced. This happens all the time with archery equipment. Comes down to more sales.

Boolit Buddy
    People are paying what they believe the RCBS "A" press is worth.
    If you think the old stuff is not worth that much, go price a Hollywood turret press!!

Where is the Rebel press made?

I just looked at the Midwayusa site and the ad says made in USA. Congrats RCBS! Mr Fred Huntington would be proud.
    Last edited by murf205; 05-23-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    I looked at the Rebel press on-line and it looks to me that RCBS WAS paying attention to their customers.

The Rebel appears to be a press aimed at upper end of their customer base. The Rebel has no extraneous features, it is just a solid, strong press. No on-press priming. Cast iron frame. Large base. The zerk fitting hints towards very long term, almost professional use. That is not an entry-level press or a press for a hobbyist reloader, that is a press for an experienced reloader.

I think RCBS is aiming that press at their bench rest shooters, their wildcat reloaders, case forming operations. That press is everything you need and nothing you don't.
    I think that press is aimed at RCBS' highly experienced reloaders.

I find the inclusion of the Zerk fitting to be very interesting. In today's world of no-maintenance or low-maintenance equipment, that harkens back to a day when people serviced machinery as just part of operation. I don't know if the Zerk fitting is just a marketing ploy to hint at "life time durability" or if the engineers fought the bean counters and won for once.

You make some good points. The zerk won't be useful to a loader who doesn't care about taking care of his press, yet, it'll still last a lifetime.....but....if you do use it, the tolerances will not erode and it'll last three lifetimes with no wear wiggle. I like it.....and I'd buy one.....except that:

1. I already have a Rock Chucker II....that I take care of and it won't die.
    2. I already dealt with the spent primers as good as they did as I already posted.
    3. I don't happen to shoot or reload calibers that are taller than R.C. II capability, nor do I plan to. (I'm 70 and counting, and I don't appreciate heavy recoil anymore.)

I do wish RCBS would upgrade their alum. progressives that way.....before I die. But the PC7 works fine (no, great) for what I do, once I modded a few things.....and shared them with RCBS.

Banned
    I have absolutely NO need for another press but...........I've been looking at the Redding Boss and Redding Big Boss.
    The RCBS Rebel shares the linkage geometry of the Redding presses and all three are in the same price range. The steel link arms are thinner than the cast ones used in the Rock Chucker but they are likely stronger, particularly when in tension. The Redding Boss only accepts 7/8" dies (which isn't a concern for me) and all three presses have cast iron frames of usable size.

I do like the hollow ram of the Rebel that allows spent primers to pass through.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on any new press right now but the Rebel has definitely piqued my interest.

Banned
    Petrol and Powder mentions the steel link arms. In a conversation with Buzz Huntington some years ago I mentioned that I had nearly all the RCBS presses, he asked if I had a press with steel link arms and I said no. So he told me the story of the RCII and steel link arms. Steel link arms are much cheaper to make than cast arms, even if they have the same strength. The first RCII's have steel link arms, that is until customer feed back became so intensely negative that they were changed to cast. The perception is the larger size of the cast arm is stronger when in reality they were of equal strength. But that was 30 some years ago and it unlikely that today's younger reloaders will notice.

I just ordered a Rebel from Midsouth. My old little RS2 that I bought used about 12 years ago (made in 1983) has seen better days, it's got linkage play and just worn. I have the Summit which I love, and it cranks out beautiful ammo, but it seems a little fragile and it's Achilles Heel seems to be the cast iron knuckle where the arms bolt to, and the handles. I cracked mine full length sizing a military 7.62/.308 case that didn't have quite enough lube and RCBS sent me a replacement knuckle. Also certain rounds I neck size using non RCBS dies, like C4HD in 8mm Lebel seem a little too tough on it. Most other rounds I neck size seem to be smooth as silk, using RCBS neck sizing dies. The Rebel will be used for sizing boolits, full length sizing and doing neck sizing on tougher than normal rounds. Can't wait to get this, and I can hang my broom and dust pan up because all the primers will go in the trash!

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day All , I like the idea of the RCBS Rebel press if you like small presses but at nearly 72 I think I will try to wear out these first
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading press 8.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	286930

Name:	photo (40).JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	286931

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_5876.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	286932

I think when and if I have worn these out I probably will be at least 150 years old or more

Regards Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast