Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Outdated laptop needed

Banned

Outdated laptop needed

Hey guys
    I need an older lap top for a small cnc project .

Operating system needs to be Windows xp or win7 (32 bit)
    other then a parallel port and being able to run a CD
    Nothing else much matters .

Key words here are working , and cheap . As long as it runs off its power supply I could care less about the battery .
    A pc would work just fine , but shipping costs .........

I've been trying to find something locally , but the virus thing has made Craig's list a waste of time and the used computer stores are all closed .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    Hey guys

Key words here are working , and cheap . As long as it runs off its power supply I could care less about the battery .

I've been trying to find something locally , but the virus thing has made Craig's list a waste of time and the used computer stores are all closed .
    I have an old Dell laptop with a parallel port and dvd drive, was working last time I played with it. Battery is shot, of course. Has the docking bay, IIRC, and power supply, if I can find them. Dell Latitude D610. I'm looking at a CNC project myself, so you's need to make it worth my while. Whatcha got that would be gold to me, and dross to you? I'm fond of Stevens Favorites, .45acp 1911s (bad shortage of mags around here), Moisin Nagant 91/30 goodies, sizing dies for a Lyman 450, especially a .316 sizing die, lead, molds for .308, .32 more or less anything, .357, .451, , got a need for some .32 Colt long or short brass, or .32 S&W brass, also long or short. I'm building a small machine shop of my own, all tabletop machines, and could use stuff for that, too. I do not think this thing is made of gold. though there is some gold in it! There are a bunch of them on ebay, starting about $20. Such a deal I have for you!

Probably be a day or two before I can check it out to see if it still runs, and find the wallwart & expansion box.

Bill
    Last edited by Pressman; 05-21-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: No eBay Links, PERIOD

Banned
    Let me know the verdict when you get a chance to dig it out and test it .
    Maybe think of a $ figure as well

And if you think it might be of use to you in the future , give it a think and be sure you want to let it go .

Boolit Master
    Let me know the verdict when you get a chance to dig it out and test it .
    Maybe think of a $ figure as well

And if you think it might be of use to you in the future , give it a think and be sure you want to let it go .
    It's been sitting here since 2008. If I find I need one after all, as I said, ebay has a bunch. IIRC, its got a 40 or maybe a 60GB hard drive. I used it for a while when I was teaching, but that was long ago, and in another universe. As I'm doing other stuff, I'll see what I can find out, and let you know. Maybe we can make a three-corner trade, if all else fails. Shipping will be a consideration, as it's too big for a Medium flat-rate box. Think I've got a large here somewhere, I'll check that, too.

Bill

Boolit Master

Hey guys

Go to the Dell refurbished site and look at those laptops. They may still have one with windows 7.

Banned
    I don't use eBay , And the Dell refurb stuff is all out of my price range .
    Hence the cheap part of my post , money is tight at the moment not working and all

Boolit Master
    I don't use eBay , And the Dell refurb stuff is all out of my price range .
    Hence the cheap part of my post , money is tight at the moment not working and all
    Check your PM inbox.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My spares laptops are all in storage but I will eventually have a bunch of Dells, an 1100 and some 600m's. All running XP & of LPT port vintage. When I was doing my programming projects at home, I'd have several laptops running device emulators, a development machine, a testbed machine, and so on, so I have "a few". I've been upgrading most to newer generation machines as they come up locally, Core 2 Duos and the like are pretty decent for a simulator.

(For example, if you were writing the control code for a corporate fueling station, you need to emulate the fuel tank environmental monitor, emulate the pump island controller and have some fueling activity going on, watch the communication streams to figure out WHY weird bad things are happening, etc. etc.; It's a little hard to haul a few 20,000 gallon gas tanks & hardware from their facility to my place LOL)

If you have a problem, bug me though, I think I know maybe where the 1100 or a 600m is, I'd want to keep the hard drive but could do a fresh XP install on there if you had a drive? (12mm tall 2.5" IDE, nothing as new as SATA hard drives in those old beasties.)

I probably should sell off a couple 386en too LOL

For some things Win10 is horrid. I cannot see using it for anything that has to run 24/7 and KEEP running, as Microsoft has decided that they, not you, should decide when to not just update it, but reboot it about 4 times, killing your application that you wanted to keep running & not restarting it (unless you put it in Startup; Some things I do require "tending" on startup so that's a poor answer.) IF you see it getting set to reboot, yes you can extend it till you want it to reboot, but you have to CATCH it.

Their mindset is too much "The user should worship our OS and our way of doing things", much like One Size Fits All, and that's not very user friendly, using my definition of user friendly

I'm picky, yep, been doing computer stuff since '70 or so and I want the computer to obey ME, not some idiot who has no clue what I need / want.

Hmm, Laptops don't seem as durable as desktops, definitely more compact, my experience has been that a new gaming laptop is pretty costly compared to a desktop with equivalent speed video card / components. It's definitely easier to upgrade a desktop far more than a laptop, and typically desktop machines can have a LOT more RAM installed than a laptop can.

Boolit Master

Just get a USB to parallel and USB external CD-ROM. Probably 50.00 or less together on the big river site.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Banned
    You might notice this thread is almost a year old .. Thanks