Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: 2 7/8 28 gauge

Boolit Mold

2 7/8 28 gauge

Good friend showed me a box of 28 ga. from his youth, long ago as he is 85. Western Cartridge Co, no mention of Olin, Winchester, or non-corrosive priming. Full box, slip top, nearly mint condition. I have never heard of 2 7/8 inch 28s before. Was that a common thing back in the teens or 20s? Offered to buy them; he said no, but would tag them to go to me when he passes. I am very honored at that. I know a good bit about old cartridges, but this is a new one on me. Comments, anyone?

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    Fascinating!!! I have learned something today! Come to think of it, don't know that I have ever seen a 28 gauge Model 12 either. Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    most all roll crimp were 2--7/8 when they started the fold you saw 16ga win with 2-9/16 they didnt reload much then so didnt care if the end of the paper hull went out the barrel
    the mod 12 28ga was a pricey woman's gun for skeet and still very pricey

Boolit Bub
    28 & 16 gauge were still popular when I was growing up in the late 60's in northern California. Then for some reason they took a back seat to the 20 & 12 gauge and the ammo all but disappeared. I was surprised to see it being stocked again in sporting goods stores.

Boolit Master

Think the skeet game kept the 28 guage alive. Every once in a while we have a .410/28 guage dove hunt just for grins. I have an 870 Wingmaster 28 gauge and it's no slouch on doves due to it's fast handling light weight./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Buddy
    A 28ga is a solid 40 yard upland game gun with handloads.

Well....I'm a 28 afficianato and much of that stems from my SxS habit. This is one of the few shotgun cartridges on which we have a good history and is truly American! Developed in 1903 by Parker Brothers it was originally theirs exclusively until others caught on. There is some conjecture (and I view it as just that) that Ansley Fox would not make guns in 28 ga because it would make his "finest gun in the world" lowered to the status of Parker! Can you imagine the success Fox may have had if that had gone differently, my holy grail is a CSMC A.H. Fox XE grade in 28 bore...15" LOP and 2 7/8" DAH with 1/8 cast off, please. Anyway I cook all my own and I have developed 28 loads ranging from 5/8 oz light skeet to a 1 oz nickel plated shot pheasant extinguisher @ 1180 fps, my primary goal is light recoil and lower pressures. The 1oz load is made with a BPI TPS wad which has no cushion section but is much like a large .410 wad and completely envelops the shot load, using LilGun I've found that loading more mildly in the 1150 - 1180 fps range makes the load much more responsive to full choke. Given that load with No.6 or No.4 nickel plated shot out of the left (full) barrel of my Parker DHE I can repeatedly place >90% patterns @ 40 yards. Anyway, I hope all this helps some 28er out there....28!

'

f