RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: 30-06 for .45 Colt

Boolit Bub

30-06 for .45 Colt

I have a Ruger DA, and have been trying to use cut down 30-06 or 308 cases with a star to hold the cases. So far I haven’t got the length right, and I think the cases are to large and stiff
    Shotgun

Among other issues- That thicker rifle brass probably won't want to crimp properly.

As easy as .45 Colt brass is to find, I'd just buy some rather than trying to make it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 308/06' cut down has to be reamed or turned it's just too thick even at .452 .
    I have a Smith 1917 reamed for Schofield via 45 ACP reamer . Gotta turn every piece of rimless and rimmed Schofield length brass with no crimp .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Why not try 460 S&W brass

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the OP wants to use 45 Colt volume cases with full moon clips used for 45 ACP. https://shopruger.com/Redhawk-45-Aut...uctinfo/90483/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-24-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Try some .45 Winchester Magnum brass. You won’t have the case thickness issues.

Boolit Bub
    Ok
    Shotgun

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Try some .45 Winchester Magnum brass. You won’t have the case thickness issues.
    +1 was going to mention win mag brass as it's the closest thing so far to what you want.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Among other issues- That thicker rifle brass probably won't want to crimp properly.

As easy as .45 Colt brass is to find, I'd just buy some rather than trying to make it.
    I wouldn't crimp the case.Better to glue in an overshot card.
    The case will last much longer.

Boolit Bub
    Instead of a star crimp, use an over shot card cut from a cool whip lid, then just run the brass into a crimp die just enough to curl the top over the shot wad just a little. Then hot glue or silicone the over shot card.

I load what I call my 444/410 Shot Shells this way. I use 444 Marlin brass, Precision 410 shot wad, 3 ea. 0000 Buckshot run through a 0.357" cast lead bullet size die to make 82 gr. 357 mini bullets. Oaa that over the top of 8.5 gr Unique. Makes a good shot load for those S&W Governor & Taurus Judge type pistols. You could load any size shot you have. #6 for snakes and bigger for bigger offending things.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Salt View Post
    Instead of a star crimp, use an over shot card cut from a cool whip lid, then just run the brass into a crimp die just enough to curl the top over the shot wad just a little. Then hot glue or silicone the over shot card.

I load what I call my 444/410 Shot Shells this way. I use 444 Marlin brass, Precision 410 shot wad, 3 ea. 0000 Buckshot run through a 0.357" cast lead bullet size die to make 82 gr. 357 mini bullets. Oaa that over the top of 8.5 gr Unique. Makes a good shot load for those S&W Governor & Taurus Judge type pistols. You could load any size shot you have. #6 for snakes and bigger for bigger offending things.
    Is the 444 the right length in the Governor cylinder ? Do you need to cut it to length?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Is the 444 the right length in the Governor cylinder ? Do you need to cut it to length?
    The 444 Marlin cases are 2.225long, about 1/4” shorter than a 2 1/2” 410 shell. I FL resize them after each firing.

I also thinking about loading a 225 gr BTHP 338 cal Sierra bullet in the shot wad just to see what a more ballistically clean bullet would do.