Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Shell Shot Loads

Bug-A-Salt is great.
    For the racket guys, get the bug zapper from Hazzard Fraught that looks like a tennis racket, it will shut down the nervous system of a yellow jacket for short time till you stomp them.
    If you allow them to come to, they won't be in a very friendly mood.

Boolit Buddy

Fast and furious, 2023 bee season is now open. Just walked up to my neighbors abandoned house and shot for a few minutes. First time ever got three with one shot. Have shot doubles several times. Counted 63 empty brass when got home. They were zigging and zagging pretty good. Not as many out as there were last year. Maybe they are on the decline.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I get the idea of the fun in shooting these buggers with shot loads, I've done it. However, with the cost and availability of primers these days, it's really not cost effective. I started loading my Sheridan .22 air rifle with walnut media. Worked pretty well at short range. But check this out, how about a .22 smooth bore air gun. Uses pre loaded shot capsules. Bead front sight, and a choked bore. 750 fps.
    https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-vip...r-shotgun.html
    Much better than burning up your precious primer supply on bugs. Quieter too. I want one.
    I have a Viper Express shot gun. The "shot shells" are expensive but can be reloaded forever. I use #10 shot.
    Not easy to hit a bee with one - I have tried. Need practice.
    The badminton rackets work great.

If shooting them didn’t involve the use of a primer that would be interesting but as it does I’ll use my racket.

Boolit Buddy

Have several hundred of these already loaded from back when primers were cheap[<.03 ea] in 38 spl and 357 mag. Made a set of dies several years ago to load them. Have shot all my 45 acp and 45 lc loads. Will eventually use all of the 38 & 357 loads. Have arthritis in my shoulders so the rackets are not very much fun for me. Other than load development, shooting bees is the most shooting I do. I just consider this cheap entertaining fun for me, at 76 how many more years will I still be able to hold a revolver and try to sight on a zig zagging bee. Have shot bees for years, some years shot over a 1000 + bee loads, hopefully can continue for a few more years. I live in a log house so shooting bees is just being a responsible home owner.

Boolit Master
    GONRA uses chemicals. Saves all is grief.....

Boolit Master
    No problem with carpenter bees but I might be having a problem with pigeons in my open front machine shed. I might try the walnut shell trick in some .38 specials.

Question for the air gun guys. How much walnutshell media do you use, and how do you load it?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Man
    Not nearly as fun but if you plug the hole they come in and go out of with diatomaceous earth, they have to dig through it and will carry it inside and every one that enters will contaminate the nest even more and in a day or two the nest will be like an insect nuclear wasteland, no insect on earth can survive that stuff.
    It quickly abrades their exoskeleton, especially at the joints causing them to essentially bleed out moisture dehydrating and die and they can't clean it off.
    If other bugs find the nest to try and recolonize it, they will not live long enough to move in, and when they go back to tell their friends about the nest, they bring some back and introduce it to their friends.
    Like I said, not as much fun but quick and 100% effective!

Quote Originally Posted by archangel2003 View Post
    Not nearly as fun but if you plug the hole they come in and go out of with diatomaceous earth, they have to dig through it and will carry it inside and every one that enters will contaminate the nest even more and in a day or two the nest will be like an insect nuclear wasteland, no insect on earth can survive that stuff.
    It quickly abrades their exoskeleton, especially at the joints causing them to essentially bleed out moisture dehydrating and die and they can't clean it off.
    If other bugs find the nest to try and recolonize it, they will not live long enough to move in, and when they go back to tell their friends about the nest, they bring some back and introduce it to their friends.
    Like I said, not as much fun but quick and 100% effective!
    So can you tell us how to load DE in a pistol shot shell? Now we’re cookin!

I could see me doing that with my 6 shooter in one hand and my drink in the other.

Boolit Master

I got my hands on some shot that is call size "Dust."
    I haven`t measured it but it is much finer than #12.
    I think that it is going to work better than the walnut shells.
    The patterns are much thicker.
    Hopefully, I won`t see any collateral damage.

Boolit Master

Froogal, I had good luck with air rifle and pointed pellets on pigeons. Just inexpensive Crossman guns that pump or break open . Good luck! Tim

Boolit Mold
    anyone have a good .44 mag shot load for Partridges. It would be nice when deer hunting to load the first shot with shot as the Road Chickens are everywhere. if you saw a deer just eject the bird shot round and go for the Deer Round

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12