WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Shell Shot Loads

Boolit Master

Walnut Shell Shot Loads

The carpenter bees are at it again, boring holes in the trusses on the lean-to behind my shop.
    I tried 22 shot loads which were very effective if you could hit them with the small load of shot.
    I have a wad cutter that is the right size to fit 44 Mag/Spec cases.
    I cut a number of wads from the cardboard backer that came with a pack of targets.
    4.5 gr of Bullseye was loaded in a 44 mag case followed by 2 card wads.
    Approximately 18 gr of ground walnut shells filled the case with just enough room to seat a card wad over the top.
    A heavy roll crimp was applied and the top sealed with clear nail polish.
    The loads were fired from a 10" Contender barrel.
    Maximum effective range was about 6 ft with 4 ft being much more effective.
    Loads of up to 6 gr of Bullseye was tried but did not seem any more effective and the walnut shells would bounce off the wood striking my face.
    BTW, a wadcutter for making card wads can be made from a sharpened 44 case with the primer removed. Push the wads out of the case with a piece of wire that will go through the flash hole.
    Wing shooting carpenter bees is not as easy as it may seem, even at close range but dang it is fun.

I use a badminton racket. Whacked over 600 2 years ago, only a couple hundred last year but I’m over 350 this spring.

Sure does sound like a fun way to get some trigger time!

One of the things my uncle used to do was tie the hose of his shop vac up so that the end of it was right where the hole the bees were coming in and out of was. Then just let it run for a few hours. Every one of them trying to go in or out got a quick trip down the vac tube.

I shoot rats in a commercial piggery, using a 12ga loaded with hard sorgham seed. We have got over 7000 in the last 3 years

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master

Sounds like lots of fun Wallace.

I also use a badmitton racket. Once whacked, I hit them with Spectracide Pro bug spray. Best stuff ever !!! Kills them right now. I have a box of speer .44 shot cartridges. I'll try the walnut shot on them in my contender.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Boolit Master
    I save my coffee grounds and let them dry out first.
    They will blast them too and not ricochette back in your face.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use "ancini de pepe" pasta in my shot loads. Seems like the pasta just disintegrates when it hits something hard and is biodegradeable!! Goes thru a snake really well.

Boolit Master

the creativity never ceases to amaze me....
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master

They used to come and bore into my cover over my firewood, when I saw one in a hole I would put a couple of 1/4" staples over the hole, figured if he could eat his way out he would be free.

Boolit Master
    The only way to stop them is to put a nail thru em.They can tunnel sideways or in any direction.
    I sliced thru a board and they had continuous wavy messes all thru the board.They are ruinous bees. As bad as termites.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen where people have made great sport out of shooting insects with a low-powered bb gun. They call it a backyard safari. Don't forget your safety glasses.

Boolit Master

I just got a bag of 410 wads from Powder Valley to try loading shot and walnut shell loads for 44 Mag.
    I will report back after I give them a good test.
    I will probably be using card over shot wads and nail polish to seal the cases.

I get the idea of the fun in shooting these buggers with shot loads, I've done it. However, with the cost and availability of primers these days, it's really not cost effective. I started loading my Sheridan .22 air rifle with walnut media. Worked pretty well at short range. But check this out, how about a .22 smooth bore air gun. Uses pre loaded shot capsules. Bead front sight, and a choked bore. 750 fps.
    https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-vip...r-shotgun.html
    Much better than burning up your precious primer supply on bugs. Quieter too. I want one.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I remember using those 22 bird shot rounds. I don’t think I ever was able to kill anything with them, but they made a nice pattern when fired into the creek or we would shoot them in the air and the shot would come raining down on your head. I did use some 44 mag snake shot on some critters that were coming into my house at night. It worked really well. Maybe too much for what you want to do. How about rock salt?

A cheap old air rifle with a break-open to cock barrel will work fine. No ammo required. Just the air. Effective range is quite close, only 6" to maybe a foot. Depends on the air rifle and the bug. Flies just vaporize. Shooting over a bait appropriate for the targeted bug helps overcome the range issue. This is a good project for the kids or grandkids. They get the thrill of the chase and you get to keep your yard lights and songbirds.

Boolit Buddy
    I use rice in 45 Colt cases. Small charge of fast powder, wad, rice another wad and a drop of glue to hold it. Have to wear glasses, they can bounce back.

My wife laughs herself silly watching me with 2 Ruger Montados going to war on them.

Don

Boolit Master

Another great source for wad material is the foam trays that are used for packing meat, mushrooms and the like. They're easy to cut with a fired cartridge which gives a tighter fit than a sized cartridge.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    for these bees,would not carbirol be more effective...the stuff you buy for puffing into wasp nests.... sold here as "no more wasps" the fellas with grain silos will have similar pesticide powders for weavils you could just about get away with only a wad to push it out... Ive often thought about loading some shells up to kill wasp nest I find while out hunting...and this thread has probably just condemmed them to death...I have .410 hulls and a .45/70 so with a bit of imagination a over powder wad under plastic shot cup,small charge of BP and seal end with small wad n nail varnish....I was going to do it with .12ga shell but as its illegal to hunt on DOC controlled land with a shotgun,it could be problomatic if stopped and ammunition checked.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    the creativity never ceases to amaze me....
    atr
    Almost makes me wish I had some pests to smoke....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast