RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Wasp Rice Shot Loads: .38/.45LC

Some members had questions about my rice wasp shot loads in another thread. Decided to do a dedicated thread on it. I loaded some .45LC rice loads for my .45/.410 ADC derringer a few weeks ago. They have been very effective at close range and won't harm my siding although I did leave a 1/8" dent in one of my wood porch posts with the wad.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_140128.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	325917

So here's how I do it. (This is only for the wad cutter case. I DID NOT drill out my rice load cases) I took a .45ACP case and a .38spl case and drilled the primer hole out with a 1/4" drill bit with the case in my vise. Ground the head down on the .38 case so it would chuck up in my drillpress.

Name:	20240421_130047.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	325911

Chucked the cases in the drillpress and ran it while holding a file against the case mouth to sharpen the case.

Name:	20240421_130707.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	325912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240421_130800.jpg 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	325913

Then with a rubber backing (horse stall mat) to keep from damaging the fragile sharpened end I ran the drillpress and cut my wads out of a cardboard box. I could get 10 in a .45ACP case, 15 in a .38. Took the case out of the drillpress, clamped it in my vise and punched the wads out thru the primer hole with a hex T-handle.

Name:	20240421_130914.jpg 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	325914

Name:	20240421_131118.jpg 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	325920

Primed cases get 2gr of Bullseye. Primer flash holes were left stock/not enlarged however my .45 primers back out slightly. TiteWad(I did try), Titegroup, Unique or another fast powder would probably be fine as well. The wad gets packed down on top of the powder, case filled with rice, then wax is melted over the rice.

Name:	20240421_132133.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	325915

Groups into paper taped across an open box from 2ft(bott) and 4ft(top). The wax shatters and the wad hits hard. Rice firmly indented the box with a few grains penetrating.

Name:	20240421_140248.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	325916

Shooting the .38 at 2ft:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/BZARHH6mJWM?feature=shared

Shooting wasps with the .45LC derringer:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/AAhpTP48dF4?feature=shared

Another:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/dKzC7qiK5lc?feature=shared

Fun stuff and the report is like a cap gun with the .45 and even quieter with the 6" revolver. If you have any questions ask away.
    Last edited by steve urquell; 04-21-2024 at 05:09 PM.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Grand Master
    Neat. Too bad primers are so darn expensive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Nice write-up Steve. That ought to silence a few people. I used to shoot wax bullets way back in the early 60's using pretty much the same drill you used. However I never used powder, only a primer. I never enlarged the flash hole either. Later on when I tried plastic and rubber bullets, I did enlarge the flash hole. I melted ordinary canning wax about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep and let it cool hard. Then I simply pushed unsized primed .38 Special case into the wax to create and seat a bullet. Quite accurate at 10 feet out of my then new S&W K frame. I used a cardboard box with the top cut out and folded towels ( about 3 or 4 folds ) on sticks stuck thru the box for a backstop and that worked well also. I could actually shoot the wax bullets in the house hallway. The towels simply stopped and dropped the wax bullet into the bottom of the box and I remelted them and used them again. The idea was not original to me, it came from a retired Sargeant member of the U.S. Air Force shooting team ( a good friend that is now long deceased ). james

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Neat. Too bad primers are so darn expensive.
    Thanks. I went to the .38 because I just ordered 7,000 Servicios Aventuras small pistol primers at $.05/ea. I'll give an update on them when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Nice write-up Steve. That ought to silence a few people. I used to shoot wax bullets way back in the early 60's using pretty much the same drill you used. However I never used powder, only a primer. I never enlarged the flash hole either. Later on when I tried plastic and rubber bullets, I did enlarge the flash hole. I melted ordinary canning wax about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep and let it cool hard. Then I simply pushed unsized primed .38 Special case into the wax to create and seat a bullet. Quite accurate at 10 feet out of my then new S&W K frame. I used a cardboard box with the top cut out and folded towels ( about 3 or 4 folds ) on sticks stuck thru the box for a backstop and that worked well also. I could actually shoot the wax bullets in the house hallway. The towels simply stopped and dropped the wax bullet into the bottom of the box and I remelted them and used them again. The idea was not original to me, it came from a retired Sargeant member of the U.S. Air Force shooting team ( a good friend that is now long deceased ). james
    Pretty neat. I didn't enlarge my primer flash holes though. The drilled case was the cardboard wad cutter and drilled out only to allow you to punch the cardboard wads out. My rice cap wax is ~1/8" thick.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve urquell View Post
    Thanks. I went to the .38 because I just ordered 7,000 Servicios Aventuras small pistol primers at $.05/ea. I'll give an update on them when I get them.
    Looking forward to seeing that. The only revolvers I have are .38/.357. But carrying around a like new 686 seems silly. Might need to find a beater for a "wasp weapon". LOL

My home is log sided so need to evaluate how the "shot" affects the stained wood. I have lots of rice for "shot".

You just added another thing on my list of gun stuff to get done this year!
    Don Verna

Looking forward to seeing that. The only revolvers I have are .38/.357. But carrying around a like new 686 seems silly. Might need to find a beater for a "wasp weapon". LOL

My home is log sided so need to evaluate how the "shot" affects the stained wood. I have lots of rice for "shot".

You just added another thing on my list of gun stuff to get done this year!
    HA! Glad to be an enabler lol. Here's what a .45 did to my porch post from 12" away taking out a wasp. The wad indented it, the rest is just marks. I need to touch up paint all the wasp hits soon before the wife finds out.

Name:	20240421_171556.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	325926

HA! Glad to be an enabler lol. Here's what a .45 did to my porch post from 12" away taking out a wasp. The wad indented it, the rest is just marks. I need to touch up paint all the wasp hits soon before the wife finds out.

Name:	20240421_171556.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	325926
    Shoot them "on the wing" and you won't have this problem

Boolit Grand Master
    Try Grits instead of rice.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Shoot them "on the wing" and you won't have this problem
    Ha! I have shot some on the wing but I had this one dead to rights so he got blasted on the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Try Grits instead of rice.
    I have about 5lbs of old rice to go thru then I may try them. Are they better in some way?

Boolit Grand Master
    Steve, just won an auction for a S&W 14-3 to be my wasp gun. $350.

Got to thinking about loads and want to tap your knowledge.

That "dent" from the wad has me concerned so was wondering if a small tuft of dacron (like used for reduced rifle loads) would do the trick to keep the powder and rice separated. Easy enough to cut 1/2" squares, and stuff them in, and the dacron will not leave a mark. Or do you think the wax seal over the rice in is causing the dent?
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Grits is finer and not as much mass, so should leave less of a mark. I use Walters wads as an over payload seal. Still should take out a wasp.

Boolit Buddy
    How loud are these loads? Does everyone immediately know you are shooting a pistol in your back yard?

Steve, just won an auction for a S&W 14-3 to be my wasp gun. $350.

Got to thinking about loads and want to tap your knowledge.

That "dent" from the wad has me concerned so was wondering if a small tuft of dacron (like used for reduced rifle loads) would do the trick to keep the powder and rice separated. Easy enough to cut 1/2" squares, and stuff them in, and the dacron will not leave a mark. Or do you think the wax seal over the rice in is causing the dent?
    Whoa, a dedicated wasp gun. You're serious lol. I thought the dent was from the wad but guess it could have been the wax. I'll load some up tomorrow with something softer and see.

I shot a gallon water jug and the wad penetrated it sideways so I assumed the post dent was from the wad.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Grits is finer and not as much mass, so should leave less of a mark. I use Walters wads as an over payload seal. Still should take out a wasp.
    Thanks. i will try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    How loud are these loads? Does everyone immediately know you are shooting a pistol in your back yard?
    Sounds like a cap gun. The videos are close to dead on.

I live in the woods. No neighbors within 300yds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Getting geeked up about this. After reading the post by TNsailorman, I wonder if I need any powder at all. I would be OK with an effective range of about 8 feet. That would eliminate the over powder wad (if that is what causes the "dent" Steve got).

"I shot a gallon water jug and the wad penetrated it sideways, so I assumed the post dent was from the wad." Makes sense it is the wad...not good. Surprising a cardboard wad could penetrate a milk jug.

Following up on rockrat's post, they make a .030" vegetable wad that costs $20/1000. I like the idea of something biodegradable. It might not have as much energy either.

We use a couple of Bug-A-Salt guns for flies. They have range of about 3 ft, but they are useless on wasps. And we get a lot of wasps.
    Don Verna

Getting geeked up about this. After reading the post by TNsailorman, I wonder if I need any powder at all. I would be OK with an effective range of about 8 feet. That would eliminate the over powder wad (if that is what causes the "dent" Steve got).

"I shot a gallon water jug and the wad penetrated it sideways, so I assumed the post dent was from the wad." Makes sense it is the wad...not good. Surprising a cardboard wad could penetrate a milk jug.

Following up on rockrat's post, they make a .030" vegetable wad that costs $20/1000. I like the idea of something biodegradable. It might not have as much energy either.

We use a couple of Bug-A-Salt guns for flies. They have range of about 3 ft, but they are useless on wasps. And we get a lot of wasps.
    I would say you probably need the powder. My loads are an instant kill at 2ft. Move out to 4-6 ft and it's a knock down instead with the wasp alive. That wad dent was straight on 12" away from the post. I could have backed up 12" and it would have been fine.

Do you prefer long grain rice or the “skeet size” jasmine rice?��
    Oh my goodness, Don! I want a $350 K38! What a score!

Boolit Buddy
    Us cheapskates use a blowgun to take out flying insects. Just think how much it’s going to cost to shoot down millions of cicadas that will be hatching soon.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would say you probably need the powder. My loads are an instant kill at 2ft. Move out to 4-6 ft and it's a knock down instead with the wasp alive. That wad dent was straight on 12" away from the post. I could have backed up 12" and it would have been fine.
    Thanks for the advice. Love tapping into experience!!!

I have 3 lbs of Clay Dot left over from CAS loads that should be perfect. Will start at 1.5 gr and see how it goes.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast