Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 22 Hornet Rifle questions

Boolit Buddy
    My choice would be the CZ for a repeater, I have an old Brno fox in 22 hornet and I am still amazed by the accuracy of that little rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I have a CZ 527 I bought a number of years ago - Bavarian style hardwood stock, not walnut. It has a 16" twist barrel and shoots .223 (Sierra) bullets better than .224. It prefers 35 or 40 grain bullets to 45 grainers and like Lil Gun a lot!

I bought an NOE 225-45-WFN mold and found the WFN boolit does not feed well in the rifle or my .222 Howa mini action. So far accuracy is poor at 100 yds with this boolit when single fed. I have recently been supplied with a few 225438s which are reputed to be ore accurate. I have yet to give them a try.

With the Sierra .223 dia 40 gr Hornet buleet over Lil Gun and with a Leupold compact 3X9, it shoots 10 shot groups at 100yds into one ragged hole only slightly more than 1/2 inch in dia. .the 45 grain .223 Sierra Hornet boolit is slightly less accurate, and the .224 diameter versions of Sierra Hornet bullets are less acurate.

One other plastic tipped .224 bullet shoots well too, but is too long for the magazine. My solution to this problem is to pull the plastic tip out and throw it away, making it a hollow tip!

But I will say that lot's of coyotes that came to calls met their demise at close ranges with all of these bullets!

It is fun gun to shoot!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought my Ruger model 77/22H back in 1994 (first year of production).

At the time, I had no use for a 22 hornet and bought for two reasons.

First, I had a co worker at the time that wouldn’t stop talking about how great the Hornet was and (second) the gunshop I bought it from had it marked wrong reference the price and they sold it to me for less than $200.00.

I really did nothing with it the first year I had it (just load development) but the following year I moved to Arizona and over the course of the next 8 years killed approximately 12,000 jackrabbits and dozens of coyotes and one Javelina)
    with it using the same load 12.5 grains of H110 and a 40 grain Ballistic Tip (with the bullet seated you feed in the magazine).

Wife and I with Javelina we killed back in 1998:
    The one in the foreground with the hole under its eye is hers shot with the Hornet.

Back in 2008 I sent it off to Connecticut Precision Chambering and had it converted to 22K Hornet and the barrel threaded for a suppressor.

It doesn’t get taken out much anymore as the areas I used to hunt small game have all become urbanized.

Of all the rifles I own this one has been carried in the woods and fired more than all of them.

I personally believe there is room in everyone’s collection for a 22 Hornet.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had Hornets since the mid '70s. Favorite for many years was a Ruger #3. I've shot it so much the barrel is shot out. I've had Savage 23 a Win M54 (wish I still had it) and coveted a M70. However, I've been happy with the Ruger #3, a Savage M40 and the Contender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0628211259.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	304511

Name:	003.JPE 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	304512

Name:	Red Diggers with 22 Hornet.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	304513
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Name:	22Hornet151143563.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	304534 My first .22 Centerfire (many more came later) .22 Hornet H&R Mannlicher stock. 79.00 at Smitty's Bait and Tackle Hwy 95 Bullhead City 1978. Its been a joy all these years and very accurate. Jackrabbits along the Colorado River in Mohave Valley back in the day where numbers were incredible. Also, Golden Valley before anyone lived there. It got me into reloading. When I purchased the gun a box of 50 rds Sp's was 17.00. I could not abide that. Smitty sold me the Lee Loader for the hornet. 1 lb of 2400 100 SRP's and a box of Sierra 55 grain SP's bullets. I still have 38 of the original 17.00 box of 50 ammo. Have developed much better loads thru the years with H110 and Hornady B-tips. Its still a favorite and gets annual use here in MS on Crows and a Raccoon or Skunk that won't leave my deer feeder alone.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Ruger 77/22 reamed 22k and so far so good. Went through several powders until I settled on 1680. That's the only powder thus far that gets me decent groups. lil' gun just plain was a pain in the rear. Pressure too soon, sticky bolt, poor accuracy even going with quickload suggestions which was almost a full 2gr below starting charge Hodgdon had in their data

Boolit Bub
    I have a stevens 322 and a CZ both in hornet. They are both great shooters. CZ easier to mount a scope

Boolit Master

Currently have three, wouldn't be without one.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

I have more than a few, can't help myself.

Here is a just a few of them I happen to get together for a group pic.

Anschutz 1433
    Ruger #1B
    T/C Contender 14"
    Anschutz Exemplar

Name:	Hornets.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	304898

Boolit Grand Master
    I own a CZ great little rifle
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The little case 224 cartridges are pretty special. I guess it is probably because you must hit exactly what you aim for and it is a real challenge. Like you can shoot deer with a 218 Bee with an ear hole shot, a challenging shot every time. Got an 84 year old neighbor that does so. Fenced garden, they jump the fence. Pop, flop.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

I had a Ruger NO.1 which would easily shoot sub MOA.
    I sold it and purchased a browning 1885
    And just recently I purchased a Kimber of Oregon all in 22 hornet

Nice rifles for short distance on Northwest Ohio woodchucks
    I am one gun away from happy

Boolit Master
    I have a 10-16-and 21 inch factory contender barrels and a 12"Bullberry Encore K hornet barrel. Also have a 1885 K hornet.

I think if I was going to get a bolt gun I would try to find a Browning Micro Medallion first then a CZ second in standard hornet. No more Ks for me.

If you have to walk in the Contender is hard to beat and its easy to carry a pile of Hornet ammo.

I have a first year Ruger Hornet and it shoot very well with Hornady 45 gr SP and 33 gr V-Max.... made for Rem for 22 WRM but made at 33 gr rather than 30 gr. This was my favorite long range prairie dog load. I know that may sound counterintuitive.

Once they go down in their holes usually 400 yds and closer. I put my big 22's and 6-284 away and get out the Hornets. The short 33's have a horrible BC but fun to lob in at extreme range. The relatively small powder charge allows multiple shots without worrying about bbl heat. Using aiming points such as plants, rocks, weeds, cow pies for reference at times prairie dogs will run over to the bullet strike and sniff the ground. Within a few shots you can hit them. Also recoil is so low you do not lose sight picture or point of aim. Within 150 yds the Hornet with 40 gr Vmax will blow up dogs like a 223 does. Nothing like a 6-284 or a 257 Wby with 75 gr HP's.

Smile

I have an NEF Handi in 22 Hornet bought in 2002. It's a great shooter, with the right scope and good rest it's squirrel head accurate up to 200 yds with me shooting, further requires a different shooter

It's a heavier barrel than one might want, it's synthetic stocked, the metal finish is downright rough - no beauty there and the target crown looks like it ought not shoot well. But it does. This one also ejects (launches) spent cases behind the shooter. AND, this lot of rifles was given 1:12 rifling.

I have often thought I would like to replace it with a repeater, namely a CZ, but then I think, why? It's ugly and shoots phenomenally. For 11 years in the Corps, and about 10/15 years after, so am/did I. What is not to love about a shooter that does its job and does it well?

And, nobody factory installs a 1:12 barrel on any of their 22 Hornets, AFAIK.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Mike aka W3TWG
    Veteran, Traveler

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456