RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: #1 .45-70 range update

Boolit Master

#1 .45-70 range update

First of all, I've been asking alot of simple stupid questions on here and I sure to appreciate all the kind, patient replies I've received. I've looked around on alot of forums and there are some out there that god forbid anyone ask a question or express an opinion, it's obviously not like that here.

My project with my new #1 .45-70 has been my greatest handloading challenge to date, and though load development has just begun, I thought I'd let everyone who's pitched in a kind word or an opinion know where it's at.

First off, I chose the Ranch Dog 350 Grain Mold. I really like the profile. Being designed around a Marlin chamber, when crimped in the crimp groove, it's too long. Not realizing that the Lee set came with a taper crimp instead of a roll crimp, I went to trimming cases, which worked, but as you may have seen in another post, presented its own set of challenges. I may try just seating deeper later, but for now, the trimmed cases appear to be working well.

After dealing with a really compressed load of 3031 and crimping this morning, it was off to the range (pouring rain in TN, and I'm not after anything big enough to justify huntin' today).

The good news was at 25 yards, the two rounds nearly touched, and thats with me shooting the factory iron sights. The bad news was the group was about 7 inches low and the rear sight was already adjusted all the way up. Probably going to order a new front insert from New England Custom Gun.

Over the chrony, the first round went 1995 fps, the second ran 1988. Not a big cross section, but it gave me an idea and I didn't like setting my chrony out in the rain. Yes, it does kick enough for me to start shopping for a new recoil pad, but it didn't drive my thumb knuckle into my nose or make me feel like I was getting kicked in the jaw; two feelings I can't stand.

One thing I really noticed is that I forgot my earmuffs for the first 2 shots, I noticed it because it didn't bother me; and I was shooting under a shed!!!!
    I'm really gonna enjoy that!

I know four rounds is just the beginning of load development with a new rifle, but when I get a new front blade, I'll continue with it. I really feel like I'm on the right track.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Boolit Grand Master
    Potsy--

Ruger has a set of three front sight post heights available--my #1 in 45-70 came from the factory with the "medium" height in place. I didn't know that NECG had front sight slides.

NECG has a decent aperture sight that fits onto the rear scope ring dovetail, not ultra close to your eye but close enough for field utility. With the low front post in place, I can shoot to 400 yards max with the 405 Lee plain base at 1300 FPS before I run out of rear sight elevation.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    They have 4 or 5 different heights and instead of a gold bead they have a 3/32" white bead. Might be a little harder for precision shooting but should make hitting stuff at iron sight ranges in bad light easier.
    I thought about one of their aperature sights but think I'll eventually opt for a scope instead. I do want one of their front sights so I can line up my irons correctly. Just seems like the kind of gun that you'd want some kind of backup sights on. Also, before I go to the trouble and expense of scoping it, I really want to wring it out over the next 6-8 months or so and see how I really like it. I figured when I did scope it I'd put on one of the 20mm Leupolds and I'm not putting that much cash into a gun that I'll eventually want to trade.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Necg

+1 on the NECG rear peep sight. I have 2 of them. One is on a Ruger #1, and it is the berries. However I also needed a higher front bead.

I like the Williams white front sight that is a bit taller, and a bit cheaper. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Grand Master
    The Ruger #1 is just made for a mercury recoil reducer. Undo the factory recoil pad slip in the mercury tube, fit a flush wooden dowl and reinstal the factory pad. Recoil is seriously reduced. Turns a painful kicker into a ***** cat. See the Brownell's catalog for a variety of choices. +1 for the NECG.
    If you get a chance, read Matthews, "Forty Years with the .45-70". Very enjoyable and fullof useful information. I've read it a couple times.
    Last edited by 725; 11-25-2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add info.

Banned

i put a limbsaver pad on mine. It made all the difference in the world

I wasn't aware that Williams made the special front-to-rear dovetail type front sights for the Ruger #1, Tom - Do you have a link ?

Boolit Man
    I have a Ruger 1 and a Marlin 1895, both 45-70. Got a nice doe last week with the Ruger, but it was only a 40 yd shot. To date the Marlin outshoots the Ruger hands down at 100 yds. I have standardised on 54 Gr of 3031 throwing a 300 gr Remington JHP. This load is pritty much case capacity. The Marlin gets great results with this at 100 yds. I tried various cast in both and went back to jacated to see if I might have rough bore issues. There is a link to directions to free float your No 1's barrel in one of the threads. I have done this and it improved the Rugers groups markedly. Check out the comments on the barrel rib while you are there. I have a Leupold M8 4X on the Marlin and an antique Bushnell Command Post 2.5X in the Ruger, both for long eye releaf. You will need to consider this. Potsy, I am looking foreward to your results.

Boolit Master
    Well, I wound up ordering a .375" front sight from Ruger and it finally came in last night (the one on the gun was .406"). Went to the range this morning and low and behold I was still 7" low at 25 yards and about 9" low at 50 yards.

The only two people on the range were me and the guy that owns it. He said he may have a taller rear sight at the clubhouse that would fit a #1.

It was a Marbles that I do like some better than the rear that came on my rifle. After sliding it into the dovetail, we still had to raise it up some, but long story short, I wound up 2.5" high at 50 yards, which was about what I wanted.

My last two bullets (all I had left for a "group") were about an 1/8" apart (YESS!)

I'll get a little more serious about working up a load after I get a scope on it, but that'll do for now. I hadn't even planned on hunting with it this year, but I think I'll take it on a doe hunt next week. I was just going to take my Bisley but after shooting my Bisley this morning, well,
    I better have a rifle for anything that ain't lickin' the end of the barrel.

Merry Christmas!!
    Potsy
    Last edited by Potsy; 12-23-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Man
    Potsey, with the Remington 300 JHPs, the entrance on my doe was 2 fingers and the exit three. The deer didn't seem to be hit and dropped about twenty yards up the trail. I think that I don't need the speed!! Try 44 gr of 3031 with the JHPs. The recoil is noticeably less than 54 grains, and it shoots 3 shot clovers at a hundred. Free floating the barrel by bedding the forend to the rail with some shims and sanding the front of the channel for releaf did the job for me! I am going to pump about 200 JHPs through the tube to smooth it, and go back to cast.