Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you value older manuals ?

Boolit Master
    I have forty or fifty manuals, many from the 'fifties and 'sixties and still refer to some of them occasionally. To me, it would be a lot of trouble to sell these online. Also, I've found that anything handloading-related brings little at gun shows so I no longer take such stuff to put on a table. With the effect of the virus situation, maybe some of this has changed. Many newer handloaders have no use for paper manuals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Perhaps you have a verifiable example?

mr Gibson did some pressure testing and wrote up the results of the tests and found some old Speer manuals had loads using green dot that I would not want to use in my guns. this is just one example. and It sure did wake me up to what just might be in some older load data when pressure testing equipment was not as accurate as it is now.
    but on the other hand I like to keep all the old manuals ive collected through the years if I had to sell them off I would hope to get half of what new ones would cost, that is if people are willing to pay that. as far as shipping books post office used to have "book rate" which is very inexpensive.

OLD Data/Manuals may be dangerous.

The Speer #8 midrange & maximum loads can be very dangerous in some cartridges.

The IMR gives data using all there powders. Some powders are a bad choice if used. Burn rates to slow or fast for a cartridge.

Old data requires starting low & working up, same as now. Today's, pressure testing is much better & safer.

The IMR data in photo must be reduced 10% for a starting load. Maximums are only listed.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 07-31-2021 at 03:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you don't want to read 30 pages on dangers and warnings get manuals from the 80's on back.

Boolit Master
    I view old manuals the same as I view new manuals; interesting to read but as a guide, not as a certainty. Bottom line, I know I'm responsible for my safety, not a book.

I don't pay more than $5 for a "trade" papaerback and $10 for a hardback. If you ship them, you can ship them USPS Book Rate or Media mail.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Gun View Post
    Are old Speer manuals worth anything I have 2 I never use

And also have some old allcan
    The two Speer manuals that are worth the most are #2 and #4. Both are wildcat loads.
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123