(Phooey on Rugerforum anyway)
    I see y'all are loading .38's .357's
    You could try some Buffalo Bore
    and see if you like it.
    I was tired of lugging a sluggun
    so I got a SRH 7" .44mag stainless
    (everybody knows .44's not big enough)
    (but maybe if you shoot Buffalo Bore)
    Qualified with it. BB 320 grain really goes KaBlammo oh my fingers and made the back of the frame kinda hammer peened looking. No harm done. Ruger trigger guard cut my fingers though. Was cold out. Didn't notice the blood 'till my hands warmed up.
    270 grain hard lead will go 1200 fps over the chronograph fun to shoot accurate never did get a bear to walk up to it though. Bounce off? I doubt it. Don't hammer your gun. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Wheelguns 1961, Please cite the article. The Alliant website posts 19 gr. of the same powder with a 210 GDHP, as does the current Speer Manuel.

Mr. Pearce has mentioned a custom .41 he had built which is neither a Smith, Colt’s or Ruger. He describes the cylinder as possessing a great deal of strength.

Many of us here have sent a lot 240 gr. boolits downrange with 22 gr. of 2400, myself included. Although we don’t do this anymore, I’ve owned 2 Ruger SBH’s, a Super Redhawk and 3 M29’s. Maybe I abused my wrist when I was younger but I never saw any evidence I hurt any of the guns.

He was using a ruger blackhawk. I don’t know how to post a link with my ipad, but it is from handloader feb. 2003. If you pm me an email address, I will send you a copy. Lyman’s cast bullet handbook lists this load of 16.2 grains at 39,900 cup. I don’t know what that equates to in psi. For the record, I made it to 18.5 when I had enough.
    Last edited by Wheelguns 1961; 05-01-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I used to load a 240gc swc winchester bullet on 25 grains of 296 shot enough of those that I shot my model 29 loose.
    And probably shot at least 10 times as many 250 grain Keith bullets at 900 to 1000 FPS but I did shoot my mod29 loose it held up pretty well i bought it in about 76 or 77 I put band aids on it (shimmed the cyl.) and she is still going , just feed it the lighter loads now.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    With the S&Ws, is it the wear and tear from magnum loads that tears them up, or just normal wear and tear from frequents firing?

For example, what kind of longevity could I expect from my model 66 with 85% magnum loads, or a Model 10-5 with 125gr/800fps loads? Would you expect them to last significantly longer with moderate loads?
    A Model 10-5 through 10-8 (no experience with later engineering change models) will go 10,000 rounds of standard-pressure .38 Specials with few issues if given an LTI (light technical inspection) by a factory-trained armorer on at least an annual basis, as was normally done during police requals. Firing +P ammunition exclusively for both qualification and duty, an armorer should put hands on the gun every 2000 rounds, as adjustments and parts replacements do become necessary. Firing factory magnums in your 66 armorer inspection was recommended every 1000-1500 rounds and it would be normal to undergo a complete rebuild by 5000 rounds. Dropping back to .38 Special +P+ Q4070 might extend the interval a bit, but inspection every 1500-2000 rounds would still be recommended.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    If 990 fps out of a 2" barrel is hot with a 110 grain bullet, you all would hate to see the chrono results from me firing 158 grain SWCs over the chrono last weekend. If I recall correctly, a book load of +P CFE Pistol put them 880 FPS. How is that +P+? Not that there is a standard for such a thing anyway.
    Heavier bullets all around work better. I have no idea why the 125 grain became as popular as it did. Heck, I don't even like 158 grain much. If I'm looking to maximize the potential, I'm looking at 170 to 215 ish grains.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    In an article for the 41magnum, he states that his go to load is 19.0gns of 2400 with a 220gn bullet. My lyman cast bullet handbook gives 16.2gns of 2400 with the same.

This is in response to silver jack hammer. I must have forgotten to hit the reply with quote button. This is brian pearce load data.
    The bullet is a Saeco 220 gr. seated to an OAL of 1.585 A Keith seated out will take more powder.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    The bullet is a Saeco 220 gr. seated to an OAL of 1.585 A Keith seated out will take more powder.
    3gns more!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A Model 10-5 through 10-8 (no experience with later engineering change models) will go 10,000 rounds of standard-pressure .38 Specials with few issues if given an LTI (light technical inspection) by a factory-trained armorer on at least an annual basis, as was normally done during police requals. Firing +P ammunition exclusively for both qualification and duty, an armorer should put hands on the gun every 2000 rounds, as adjustments and parts replacements do become necessary. Firing factory magnums in your 66 armorer inspection was recommended every 1000-1500 rounds and it would be normal to undergo a complete rebuild by 5000 rounds. Dropping back to .38 Special +P+ Q4070 might extend the interval a bit, but inspection every 1500-2000 rounds would still be recommended.
    Thank you, very good information. With the amount that I shoot I should be good for quite a long time.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Thank you, very good information. With the amount that I shoot I should be good for quite a long time.
    Glad to help. If you follow that advice you can pass the revolver on to your children.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent advise from Outpost75. I fired many thousands of rounds of WC through my Power PPC revolver and never had any sign of wear. Also, I have shot thousands of rounds of 38 SPL standard loads and equivalent factory loads [359477 or TL358-158s over 3.5 gr Bullseye] through my old service revolver, a M15 with 5" barrel made in the late '60s. No sign of wear or end shake.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    3gns more!
    When you take into consideration the farther seating out of the Keith 220 and the difference in different lots of the same powder, primers and the brands of cases 3 grains isn't unreasonable. More that likely Pearce used Starline cases. He does in most calibers he tests.
    So one is entitled to their own opinion but if one takes into account Pearce didn't use the same lot of components and he used a bullet that doesn't seat as deep in the case it very likely he used 3 grains more. One must look at ALL differences not just one.
    BTW didn't he use Federal 150 primers?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Heavier bullets all around work better. I have no idea why the 125 grain became as popular as it did. Heck, I don't even like 158 grain much. If I'm looking to maximize the potential, I'm looking at 170 to 215 ish grains.
    After shooting a few hundred of the 158s this weekend I may back my load down some anyway, but it's nice to know that the .38 Special with the right powder and bullet still has plenty of power for most uses.

Boolit Master

Outpost75, great information sir.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123