Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Powder horn value

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Powder horn value

My dad makes his own powder horns as a hobby. We've accumulated about 30 of them now, more than we ever need to actually use. I've told him he should try to sell 1 or 2 just to see what they'd go for, and he's up for that.

However, we don't know what would be a fair price. These are heavily inlayed and scrimshawed, about 9" long. What does a handmade horn run these days?

Updated: I attached 4 pics of the only one I have on me right now. This is a fairly plain one with a nice stipled scrimshaw pattern and maple inlay. And a big piece of bone with the Star Trek Federation Delta. What can I say, I was 14 at the time he made it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4840.jpg   DSCF4841.jpg   DSCF4842.jpg   DSCF4843.jpg  
    Last edited by jonk; 11-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Plain finished horn go between 20 and 50 at the Log Cabin Shop. Not sure about the fancy ones.

Are you near the Log Cabin? Lodi, Ohio, Medina County.

Good place to visit if you have the time. I get there every couple of years, can't afford to go more frequently!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Yes, I've been there a number of times. Good place.

Boolit Grand Master

Well you could post some pictures... I would be willing to share a price idea.

Boolit Grand Master

If marketed right and they look real good you could get over $100 a piece. You might try an auction site with a couple and see how they do.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Jonk THOSE are NICE ! I agree with MooMan76... Decorated horns are man-hour intensive. I have seen hand crafted horns at Friendship and the Lafayette, Indiana Festival for $200+++++ I have not been there for 3 years now... I would not be surprised this example to be in the $150 + area.
    Me I use a plain old cow horn to shoot with and have a Scrimshawed one hanging at home.

Boolit Master
    Those are definately not plain horns. There must be a muzzleloading forum to check for prices. I am not going to even venture a guess.

They do look nice.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    That whole business is really tied in with period correctness and historical accuracy, so if he made horns that he could market for various time periods that pass muster among the knowledgeable, he could get the most money for his work. Patina and subject matter are very important too. I've seen really well made horns go for $300.00 to $400.00 . Not from poor folks like me though!

Banned

Personal Powder Horns

John K.

That looks like something your dad made especially for you. Dont sell it at any price. You wont get maybe $10 for it but you will regret it for the rest of your life. You willl always think back that your dad made that just for you and you pissed it away.
    Last edited by WickedGoodOutdoors; 11-25-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Boolit Master

That is a very nice piece of work.
    I would not be surprised to see it offered at $125-$150, or even higher if it was made to order for a customer.
    The price should be a reflection of what you value you place your skill and artistic abilities.

Jack

Just send me a sample to try out and give you an estimate of value.LOL.
    The best place to get an approximate value is evil-bay. Look and see whats close and how much it sells for and that will put you in the ballpark of what their worth because theirs millions of buyers there with lots of knowledge.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.