Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Burned out RCBS Tumbler Motor: UPDATE

Boolit Grand Master

Burned out RCBS Tumbler Motor: UPDATE

Got a new motor at Menard's.

When I removed the old one, I took it apart. No burns or scars on the stator from bad bearings.
    The ball bearing races where sticky, felt gummy.

Brushes them with mineral spirits and let it soak, then spritzed the bearings with brake cleaner. After a few minutes of working them, they
    loosened and were spinning like a top. Put some thinned Dexron, Mobile 1 mix on them and reassembled.
    Runs like a champ. Going to take the motor back.

The new motor has a 1" stack, 1.4 amp, 300 rpm.
    What I don't like about it is the 6-32 thread. Probably work, but the current motor has beefy 8-32 studs, and four of them as opposed to only two 6-32 on the new one.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Super, sometimes it’s the simple things. I’m also a big fan of trying to save something first.

Somewhere about I read how to “recharge” those oil impregnated bushings, it had something to do with heat and pressure if I remember correctly.

Boolit Master
    Good job!

Dirt is the biggest enemy of anything mechanical.

I am a great fan of RCBS... BUT their vibrator motors are crap.

After they sent me for free a brand new vibrator, then 3 more new motors and all failed after 3 months I went to other colors than green for case cleaning.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    I am a great fan of RCBS... BUT their vibrator motors are crap.

After they sent me for free a brand new vibrator, then 3 more new motors and all failed after 3 months I went to other colors than green for case cleaning.
    Lat motor I got, the current one still running the gave info on previous motors. I had the same issue. Said they got motors that turned out to be very short lives. Went to a better motor.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Super, sometimes it’s the simple things. I’m also a big fan of trying to save something first.

Somewhere about I read how to “recharge” those oil impregnated bushings, it had something to do with heat and pressure if I remember correctly.
    Wash out with solvent, then submerge in oil, and either draw a vacuum on them to suck oil in the air spaces, or pressurize the container to force it it. Or you could wait a few days, and it will flow in eventually.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Dirt is the biggest enemy of anything mechanical.
    Yep! Keep stuff clean, lubricated, and protected from excess heat, and it's likely to run forever.

Acquaintance of mine back in the early 90's had bought his 1967 Dodge with a 440 & a sixpack new. He was a bit of a freak about changing the oil. Every time he filled the gas tank, he changed the oil. At that time, he had over 500k miles on the car. Engine was as tight as when he bought it, and had never been rebuilt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Yep! Keep stuff clean, lubricated, and protected from excess heat, and it's likely to run forever.

Acquaintance of mine back in the early 90's had bought his 1967 Dodge with a 440 & a sixpack new. He was a bit of a freak about changing the oil. Every time he filled the gas tank, he changed the oil. At that time, he had over 500k miles on the car. Engine was as tight as when he bought it, and had never been rebuilt.
    Heat and dirt kill motors.
    Next mod is a 6" push on fan. 3 1/2 now.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post

He must not have driven that truck much. It would get VERY expensive to change the oil once a week.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I had a buddy who was anal about oil changes. back them I drove a 65 dodge coronet and he drove a charger. once a month he'd be out there changing the oil. I did mine 3000 miles period. His charger ran like a top. So did mine. I had it tuned by the local auto garage and they raced on weekends. Nuff said. While the old dodge wouldn't win any speed records it was very reliable. Except the heater didn't work. They found the problem and fixed it for a case of beer. Great guys. Always brougt them a box full of dunkin donuts. One day I get a call from them. Someone was selling one of the 383 dodge engines that had lost its car. Guy was broke and needed money. They stuck it in that old dodge and was like a new car. And was it ever fast. Then I had them redo the brake system.
    Then they found a new transmission for my car. Automatic. I was in hog heaven. They wanted to redo the exhaust system. Told them ok but no more upgrades. Was an old taxi with 150K on the clock. I asked one day why did they do this all for me?. I did pay what was asked. They wanted me to have a sleeper. You know a ratty old car so no one looks twice at. But goes like heck. two years later it was stolen. then got a 1970 dodge dart with the 318 engine. Those guys eyes lit up the way a wold looked at his next meal. So over a period of a year and a half they worked on my dart. I'd get paid from the job and go pay them what I could afford. Took 2 years to pay them off. Same 383 same exhaust,different tranny. All automatic. Another sleeper. Except on the way to my future wifes place some guy challenged me to a drag race. Needless to say he lost big time. Showed him what lived under the hood. Best deal I ever made. Had that car for 15 years. Thanks for listening to my ramblings of something that happened over 40 years ago. Frank