• 7.62x54r

6 5.88%
  • Other

37 36.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Opinions

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Get a TC Encore and you can have all of the above barrels.
    I had them, don't care for them as they are lousy shotguns. Also still own a Contender. I really don't like that one, and it will soon be for sale.

Banned

i've had two henry single shots in .357mag and .223rem - i would never buy that rifle againin any caliber, unless the trigger system was redesigned as adjustable and down to 2lbs.

Boolit Master
    For a fun 35 cal. break open, consider a 360 DW. It is likely to shoot 38s and 357 magnums better than a Max. Loaded hot and long and you get real close to the Max. Definitely "different".

Boolit Master
    I had my new .44 mag Henry Single Shot all apart last night. Everything out of the receiver. Mine came without the smaller spring inside the larger hammer spring. Trigger had a bit of creep so I took the hammer hook down a little and polished it. Also dressed up the sear with a secondary angle. The pull weight was just fine the way it came. The creep is gone and the trigger is crisp. Only improvement I can think of now would be to add an over travel stop which is a simple drill and tap exercise. The exploded view on the parts list in the manual helped get it all apart and back together.

Boolit Master
    I envision putting a gong out at 200 yds. and lobbing 240 grain boolits at it. And some still hunting for deer which I do because I hate sitting in a stand. I also see this going to one of my sons as it is a lovely steel and wood rifle that should last for a century or more.

The lowly .38 Special.

My reasoning is this. For too many years in my area, poaching was a major issue (still is in some parts). Getting caught in the woods or even transporting anything larger than a .22 Long Rifle, was a recipe for trouble with the game wardens. The .22 Magnum was a poachers special for decades and still is. If you're toting a 38/357 lever gun, you're poaching even if you don't have a .357 Magnum round in the truck or on your person. It's pretty much a mess and I won't even try to understand it. I just stay clear of anything in a long gun other than a .22 LR. However, the .38 Special is not considered a legal deer cartridge in Oklahoma. Never mind the fact I can carry any magnum cartridge I want as long as I have my CCW with me (and I always do). So, it'd sure be nice to load up and pick between my S&W Model 17 and Remington .22 LR (I have a couple), or choose to take my S&W Model 14 and a nice single shot .38 Special.

I haven't forgotten a shortage in the not to distant past, where quiet a few fellows got rid of all the .22's and began shooting .38's, it was cheaper. Doesn't seem that way this go around. The cost of one primer vs one .22 LR round cost wise seems to be a dilemma these days.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Could try breachseated cast bullets in a 30-30 schutzen style.
    Or 357 mag.
    Casual slow paced.
    Great accuracy
    Not hard on shoulders or ears.
    Great off hand practice or field position.
    Couple of swabs of Ed’s red and your done for the day.
    Replenish bullets /lube /primers when you get around to it.
    No case prep besides a wipe with a rag.
    If you feel guilty you can clean your one case at the end of the day.
    Ha

Then you could load some if you really had to to shoot something or think you will miss and need another round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i've had two henry single shots in .357mag and .223rem - i would never buy that rifle againin any caliber, unless the trigger system was redesigned as adjustable and down to 2lbs.
    Have you had a chance to handle one which has the new factory trigger? I was surprised at how much mine was improved when I got it back from the recall.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    35 remington. but the 357max is likely to be pretty handy.
    --
    Shoot more!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Have you had a chance to handle one which has the new factory trigger? I was surprised at how much mine was improved when I got it back from the recall.
    I had a pair of the old Henry H015 single shots, .223 and .357 - just terrible triggers considering the quality of the rifle.

So I'm hoping the trigger has greatly improved with the new crop of these guns ... and will know this week when the Henry .45-70 S/S arrives.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    I had a pair of the old Henry H015 single shots, .223 and .357 - just terrible triggers considering the quality of the rifle.

So I'm hoping the trigger has greatly improved with the new crop of these guns ... and will know this week when the Henry .45-70 S/S arrives.
    My new 45-70 trigger is excellent clean break very little creep. This gun has exceeded my expectations it has wood that a high grade delux rifle should have it’s unbelievable. I did get some off hand shooting with open sights and at 40 yards printed a 2.5” group. The load was a cast hammer that weighs 460 grains WFN cast of a mix of Lino and printer lead. On top of a load of 14.7 grains of Unique. Recoil is very manageable. This little handy rifle impresses the heck out of me.

Banned

Good to hear, gives me hope that Henry finally got it right. Otherwise, even with a crappy trigger, it's always been a heckuva gun.

Try AA5744 powder. It's the white devil dust stuff that was meant for BPCR guns and won't be location sensitive, and will be lots more accurate than the pistol and Trail Boss powders, out to and way past 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of TC encore stuff rifles and pistol both they are great platform. That said the Henry single shots are a cut above the TC stuff. I guess the difference I would describe as industrial vs gracefully executed single shot hunting rifle. Both are really good weapons for a variety of reasons but I will be parting ways with several Encore barrels and whittling down the choices. The Henry I just received is outstanding.

Boolit Master
    In .44 magnum, a rifle adds quite a bit of value to the round. 1200 fps. out of my 7- 1/2" SBH equals 1500 fps. out of the Henry. And it does this while being much more pleasant to shoot.

Over priced for what they are. I could think of a lot of other rifles I’d rather have. I had no use for H&R and NE breakdowns either. Savage 219 is better rifle than all three.

Boolit Buddy
    I would expect these to be selling for right at $379-$399 if we weren't in a panic - which is causing ALL rifles to sell for higher prices. I've owned an NEF and it was okay, not a No1, but it was a good introduction to 45-70 for me. MY take on "hand fondling" the henry is that it's a bit nicer.

Of course, if I can get a savage 219 in any of the usable calibers I'm interested in for less, I'd be happy to. spent about a half hour looking online and there's.... well, nothing. can you point me to chaper and higher quality rifles? Right now I'm honestly torn between a $450 henry .44 and a $450 contender 44 (8 inch).... so i'd be more than happy to get a better value that's real world available.
    --
    Shoot more!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Over priced for what they are. I could think of a lot of other rifles I’d rather have. I had no use for H&R and NE breakdowns either. Savage 219 is better rifle than all three.
    Compared to what you pay for a Smith or Ruger .44 revolver the Henry is a deal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I can't agree, I feel like the quality and function I get out of my H015 is disproportionate to the price compared to the other guns I have. It does exactly what I want it to, the UX is good, and the price was low even when new from a shop that doesn't go out of its way to give good deals.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

The price of a break barrel rifle has nothing to do with the price of a S&W or Ruger revolver. The machining time doesn’t compare. I spent some time with H&Rs in 45/70 and 22Hornet. I suppose I ruined 2 dozen springs trying to lighten trigger pulls. Never got one to shoot (22Hornet) TCs don’t have that problem. I don’t own any off them anymore either. My Bro is into them and deer hunts with a 375 Win carbine.

Banned

The H015 .45-70 just arrived, very pleased with it statically, the dynamic tests will depend on the weather, maybe next week. Very pleased with the under 4# trigger, just fabulous. Love the American walnut wood and the tight build and finishing tolerances, too. Probably going to use iron sights, a Skinner rear peep and Lyman globe front.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast