12 11.76%
  • 7.62x54r

6 5.88%
  • Other

37 36.27%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Henry Single Shot Opinions

Boolit Master
    With my .44 sighted in at 100 yards it is only about 3" high at 50 yards. That is completely workable for my purposes. My old eyes did not like the Skinner sight. I put a nice old Japanese made Weaver 4x on it. Also shot some pan lubed 250 and 280 grain Unique rounds through it. They shot well without any leading. The barrel is very nicely finished on the inside.

Hey, neat, this thread is still alive. I haven't bought one yet... a bunch of other new guns got in the way. Now that I have a CPA 44-1/2 I'll be getting barrels made for it instead when things stabilize a little.

Boolit Master
    I should be picking up my 45-70 today. Got a Lee 405 hollow base single cavity mold and some IMR 4198 powder. Going to stick with lighter loads for now.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 12-08-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Henry manages to find some exceptional walnut.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211210_075851.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	292891

Boolit Master
    Was out shooting it today off hand at 50 yds was hitting about 7" high and 4" left. Shot 15 rds with the Lee 405 hb boolit sized to 457 and simple lube. Barrel was clean afterwards. Thinking I will leave the sights stock because they are quick and better in Low light than a peep. Trigger is quite good as well.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 12-13-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Got the windage sorted by drifting the front site. With the rear leaf all the way down I'm still shooting about 4" high at 50 yds. Ordered a taller front non bead sight from Skinner.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Henry manages to find some exceptional walnut.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211210_075851.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	292891
    Indeed I bought a 45/70 with wood like that it drew me right in and it now sits in my safe and it’s incredibly accurate to boot. 12 grains of Unique with a WFN gas checked 460 grain Hammer. Ragged holes at 100 yards. Easy on the shoulder but will take any North American game. Absolute the gorgeous rifle with well figured American Walnut.

As far a caliber I would like to see them chamber it in? 445 Super Mag with a fast twist.

Boolit Master
    Going to try some AA5744 loads today with 500 and 405 grain boolits.

Boolit Master
    The Henry shot the 500 grain boolits over 25 of 5744 just fine. They shot into the same spot as the 405's over 55 of Swiss 2f.

The new and improved triggers on the current crop of Henry H015 single shots got me to buying one in .45-70 and it's Killer in every way ... tricked out with Skinner and Lyman peeps.

I was thinking about a 44 mag. and having it reamed to 444.
    But lately I've been thinking about a 30-30, and having it rebored to 38-55.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I think it's hard to beat a .45-70 Gov't cartridge. In a modern steel gun, there will be a huge set of cartridge loading options, from mouse fart smokeless loads to virtual .45-90 PPB black powder cartridges. Enjoy them all.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I was thinking about a 44 mag. and having it reamed to 444.
    But lately I've been thinking about a 30-30, and having it rebored to 38-55.

RP
    I've become a fan of the H-015's since the the trigger upgrade. I have 4 of them and they're all winners IMO. If Henry chambers them in .35 Rem or .38/55 there will be another in the stable. I've not priced the cost of a rechamber/rebore though.

Attachment 300894I just acquired a Henry H 015 that was a 357 mag that was rechambered to 35 Remington rimmed and rimless.
    I have not fired it yet but I need to mount a scope on it probably a fixed 4 X and see how it shoots.
    My initial impression is that it is a higher quality rifle than the H&R handi rifle or the Savage 219’s and has a nicely figured walnut stock and fit and finish is better. There are no stamped parts or plastic apparent and the barrel opens easy and smoothly without any play between it and the receiver so it’s definitely one of the nicer break actions available in the lower price range. In fact it cost me less than what a lot of folks are paying for just a barrel in 357 for a handi rifle. So far I am impressed !
    I have a BRNO 110 lux that is a break action single shot rifle with figured walnut stocks and has polished bluing it is in the same class as the Henry and still in the under $ 500 price point.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 06-02-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Attachment 300894I just acquired a Henry H 015 that was a 357 mag that was rechambered to 35 Remington rimmed and rimless.
    I have not fired it yet but I need to mount a scope on it probably a fixed 4 X and see how it shoots.
    My initial impression is that it is a higher quality rifle than the H&R handi rifle or the Savage 219’s and has a nicely figured walnut stock and fit and finish is better. There are no stamped parts or plastic apparent and the barrel opens easy and smoothly without any play between it and the receiver so it’s definitely one of the nicer break actions available in the lower price range. In fact it cost me less than what a lot of folks are paying for just a barrel in 357 for a handi rifle. So far I am impressed !
    I have a BRNO 110 lux that is a break action single shot rifle with figured walnut stocks and has polished bluing it is in the same class as the Henry and still in the under $ 500 price point.

Jedman
    Someone mentioned a while back them having plastic trigger guards.
    Is this true or false?

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

The trigger guard appears to be some type of metal casting as well as the forend spacer. Those parts are both plastic on handi rifles.

Jedman

I just got one in 45-70, looks great with good trigger pull. Waiting on scope to shoot it.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Bub
    I use my SS chambered in 223 for reduced loads , around 22mag velocity.
    Pleasant pinker and my 223 lasts along time.
    My trigger could use some work, but for now it’s serviceable.
    I replaced the rear sight with a skinner and a higher front site.
    I’m file regulating for my reduced load.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by budman5 View Post
    I use my SS chambered in 223 for reduced loads ,
    I do the same thing with my .223. Had a lot of Blue Dot on hand and a few hundred old 50 gr. Hornady SX's and Sierra 50's and I found a sweet spot at 2145 fps that shoots quarter sized groups at 50 yards. It makes a pleasant plinker and the bonus is that the full power 55 grainers print an inch higher at 50 and are right on at 200 yards so there's no fiddling with the 2X7 Leupold when switching between loads.

Boolit Bub
    Good info
    I’ll use that,thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234