MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Is this old ?

Is this old ?

Just received this with a bunch of other BP items ...
    Is this an old one.... it's full also.
    limagur link:
    https://imgur.com/Scnzsy9
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Grand Master

That will be a very nice addition to a powder can collection. Here is a similar from 1924 https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...1-c-d81410bba3
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Looks like it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Just received this with a bunch of other BP items ...
    Is this an old one.... it's full also.
    limagur link:
    https://imgur.com/Scnzsy9
    It looks old to me. Dated 29 July 1924. If so, it's not been handled much. I've not been hanging out with shooters for much of the past, oh, 30 years, I guess, so I couldn't tell you if they're making modern reproductions of such things. If it was dated in the 1860-1890's, I be more suspicious that it was a reproduction. I've done medieval recreation, and used to know some RevWar, Mountain Man, and CivWar reenactors. Recently read some stuff about Cowboy Action Shooting, too. Some of those folks have some excellent reproductions, often home-made, but there are commercial firms that support some of that, as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Looks like it!
    His has the same date as the one M-TEcs posted.

Thanks for the input ...
    This was in with a lot of other Items , 5 or 6 cans of various BP .
    Caps and a couple of the hand size teardrop shape field powder dispensers among a couple of shoulder bags with lots of small tools and wads .
    Take a guess that the individual was also into the get togethers or events with rifle and pistol .
    I have also obtained a Uberti BP pistol , a Navy 44 ...
    Don't know anything about BP so this is all a learning curve since the pistol and components
    have fallen into my lap.
    Is there some where here on this site that I can learn the basics ...or you tube ? as far as loading/shooting this gun.
    Besides not knowing the difference between the Black Powders available ?

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.uberti-usa.com/sites/def..._revolvers.pdf

The pictured can and powder have some collectors value so I would not shot it. BP lasts forever so the powder is still useable. If you do opt to use it keep the can or pass it on to a collector.

I would recommend the Lyman Black Powder Handbook and Loading Manual:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012862080/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-19-2020 at 04:44 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Thanks for the input ...
    This was in with a lot of other Items , 5 or 6 cans of various BP .
    Caps and a couple of the hand size teardrop shape field powder dispensers among a couple of shoulder bags with lots of small tools and wads .
    Take a guess that the individual was also into the get togethers or events with rifle and pistol .
    I have also obtained a Uberti BP pistol , a Navy 44 ...
    Don't know anything about BP so this is all a learning curve since the pistol and components
    have fallen into my lap.
    Is there some where here on this site that I can learn the basics ...or you tube ? as far as loading/shooting this gun.
    Besides not knowing the difference between the Black Powders available ?
    Black Powder can be a lot of fun. It's relatively easy to make, with simple ingredients, but like smokeless powders, it can be dangerous if mishandled. You can buy it pretty easily, just like smokeless powders, and you can shoot cartridge guns, or muzzle loaders, or both. Some folks like to shoot historical guns, some like reproductions. There are books and magazines, etc. There is a website that has stuff to read about just about anything, including black powder guns. scribd.com has documents you can read for free, and a 30-day free trial to the site lets you download stuff and read it offline. Costs $8.99 a month after the trial. I've found a lot of info on reloading, and a lot of manuals for various guns, among other things.

nice ! ... thank you gentlemen !

Boolit Master
    I have a 3f can with the same date. Must be a patent date.

Boolit Bub
    I have this one in collection, 1924 marked. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powder can.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	285141

I bought black in those cans back in the late 50's. That is all I can say about it.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Char, I also have a Dupont can like that and I be leave it was a repop commutative run. It was from my uncle in laws stuff and his father was a gun forensic from the Seattle area who passed in the late 60's. The only BP gun in Skips few guns that I secured for him was an 1830ish 69 cal smoothbore that came with the powder. The can was just to clean and the labels showed no sign of peeling from age.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Never seen any reproduction Dupont cans . I got a bunch of the oval cans in 2f,3F and 4F that I use for hunting . You could still find them occasionally in country stores in the sixties but I have not seen any on the shelf or back rooms since . The last ones I bought had been in a hardware store since the 30's . They got stashed in the storage area in the attic due to lack of demand . I got them cheap because I always asked for Dupont powder and short shotgun shells anytime I was in a place that was old enough to have sold them when they were common. Shoot it for special use and save the can . I gave $1.75 each for those last ones I found , that was what current Dupont was selling for at the time .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!