Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 D printing questions

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No doubt! This is why a good UPS is on my list to power the printers, even tho the one I got supposedly handles power glitches well, better yet to have zero power dropouts!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    One note I can mention is that it REALLY sucks being 5 hours in on a 8 hour print job and the power flickers.
    Bingo. Had it happen as we get a lot of short power outages here. Luckily I had a spare power supply. Saved my butt a few times already.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my son an XYZ Crazy3dPrint for Christmas 2019. He had problems with random layer shifts. With help from their support, he figured out the problem was the travel and print speeds he was using were too fast. Prints much better now. I haven't played with it much, but did make some inserts for the Lyman 17A front sights on my lever rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I have the Creality Ender 3. I enjoy it it came highly recommended by a few friends of mine that are due hard 3D printing nerds. The Pro model isn't worth the extra money.

I would recommend that one and they have an updated model they are releasing.

I run Linux on my computer and use Cura to slice.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    +1

After much research I bought my first 3D printer a few months ago. I am very happy with my choice of the Ender 3Dv2.

I have a 3V2 as well, eventually I will get the 2nd Z plane motor and etc. upgrade, and a direct filament drive upgrade. Should let me print faster First I need to get it put together though LOL

Boolit Mold
    3V2 is what I am running as well. Just upgraded the hot end to allow use of nylon. Pretty simple to set up and operate.

Nylon would be good, I need to see how to do that hot end upgrade some day

Boolit Mold
    There are a couple of options to do the upgrade. All metal Micro Swiss runs about $63 on Amazon or the cheapo off brand for $12. I went cheap lol. Basically the kits replace the plastic tube in the hot end between the heat sink and extruder head with a metal tube so it wont melt at the higher temp. I have not tried it with the nylon yet. I've been running it with PLA to ensure I didn't screw something up on the install. According to my research online, I may need to re-calibrate the temp sensor for the higher temps but I am really hoping to avoid that lol.

If you guys have the money, don't really want to tinker but print once the printer is built, buy a Prusa Mk3s+ . Kit is $750, Have to add a magnetic sheet or two depending on what you want to print with so roughly $850 total. Yes, not cheap, but once you get printer built, and then spend a couple of hours getting it set up for PLA and or PETG, it just prints. I bought one last year and it just works. I can turn it on, select the model off the card and press go. It heats, calibrates and just prints. NO tinkering.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    One note I can mention is that it REALLY sucks being 5 hours in on a 8 hour print job and the power flickers.
    I’m new to 3D printing, but am worried about power outages that occur often where I live. Many years ago I had a backup battery/inverter when using a computer with a generator. So far my projects don’t take that long. Is even a one second cut in power enough to ruin a print?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m new to 3D printing, but am worried about power outages that occur often where I live. Many years ago I had a backup battery/inverter when using a computer with a generator. So far my projects don’t take that long. Is even a one second cut in power enough to ruin a print?
    Not sure. I know my generator does not kick in until 5 seconds so I use the backup. Why take a chance as battery backups are not that expensive especially if a print has been running for over 24 hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12