Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got My First Case Stuck In A Die And It's A Doozy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Actually, I tried the smaller bolt, that stripped so I did a larger hole and tap which also stripped. Stuck pretty darn tight. Thanks for that link. I tried to find it on the site and couldn't locate it.

Give them a call "The spare parts listed represent only the most commonly requested service parts. For price and availability of items listed and not listed, please consult factory."

Phone (607) 753-3331
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I've stuck a few - 22 Hornet smallest, 470 NE largest. Putting them in the freezer has fixed them all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have had case head separation in a die with 7mm mag. No place to use a tap. I inverted the die, plugged the neck with a bit of paper towel and filled the case with melted lead. Put the die back in the press and knocked it out with a punch. This happened when I first started reloading a couple of times. After learning how to properly adjust my FL die and lube the case properly it quit happening.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If I had paid $60.00 for a die ... I would box it up and return it to Redding with a letter ,
    compliment them on good dies , assume all responsibility for sticking the case ...Don't Blame Them .
    Be nice and hope they take care of you ...offer to pay...hopefully they will take pity on you and do it for free .
    I wouldn't take a chance of ruining an expensive die that could be saved .
    Gary
    This! RCBS helped out with a stuck case in my dad's sizing die .223

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    Remove the decapping pin, drill and tap the base of the case, tap it with a 1/4-20 tap, and use a pipe, washers, and a bolt to pull the stuck case from the die.

You will need a short piece of pipe larger than the rim, a drill bit, tap, washers, and a bolt about 1/2" longer than the section of pipe.

Brass is easy to drill and tap so it'll be easy if you have the right parts.

This works absolutely every time no matter how stuck the case is.
    +1 works less than a $20 fix and you'll have it for next time. You can use a 3/4 socket for a spacer if no pipe, you just need to get a bit past the end of the shell. But it does work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFW9URitdAU

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody try the Frankford Armory type?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    +1 works less than a $20 fix and you'll have it for next time. You can use a 3/4 socket for a spacer if no pipe, you just need to get a bit past the end of the shell. But it does work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFW9URitdAU

I've been loading for over 40 years and have only stuck one case. This is the method I used. It worked fine. I've still got my homemade case puller and hope I never need it again.

I don't think I've stuck a case since I started to lube cases with Imperial Case Lube, except when I tried the Hornady spray on lube, not impressed with that stuff. A little tin of Imperial will last a long, long time, more than the years I have left. Sure glad jonp got his case out. My plastic bag with homemade stuck case remover does have a drill bit that is a bit smaller than 1/4 inch. Have a good weekend to all shutins.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    I pulled at least thirty stuck cases back when I was experimenting with case lubes.

The commercial screw type case pullers good but they usually have 1/4" x 20 screws. That works most of the time but sometimes those small diameter threads strip out of the cases. So, I've tapped for and then used 5/16" and 3/8" bolts when needed; they always get the job done. Oh yeah, cheep (grade #5) 1/4" bolts sometimes wring off in the cases so I got Grade #8 bolts from Ace Hardware for all three sizes ... and have had no more wring offs!

With a difficult pulling situation, I hold my die/stuck case in a sturdy bench vise. For doing that - without thread damage - I also got a couple of 7/8" x 14 nuts and jam tighten them together on the die, then I clamp the nuts very tightly in the vise. The die won't spin and the threads are well protected by the nuts that way.

Boolit Master
    Just return a die to Redding the other day case snapped off just below the shoulder with the expander firmly stuck. Called Redding but they are closed per order of Gov. Coumo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Just return a die to Redding the other day case snapped off just below the shoulder with the expander firmly stuck. Called Redding but they are closed per order of Gov. Coumo.
    Redding needs to move out of there and back to America

Early in my loading career I was using STP as a case lube. Worked fine till I stuck a 270 case in A Lyman die. Tried the case puller an just pulled the bolt out of case, tried a bigger bolt, still a no go. Took to my gunsmith. He sent it to Lyman. Lyman sent me a new die.
    I then started using case lube. Have not stuck a die since.
    Leo

Boolit Bub
    After a few decades of reloading I finally got my first stuck case. I decided to resize and prime a few of the .416 Ruger brass I shot a few weeks ago. I lubed the first one, I use Imperial on the big ones, but for some reason had a brain fart and didn't lube the second. When I went to pull it out it jammed tight in the Redding FL Die partially ripping off the rim.

I tried soaking it in Kroil then tapping it and using a screw to pull it out but that just stripped the hole.

Any other ideas? I ordered a Neck Size Die as all the brass is from/for one rifle but I'd like to salvage this one. $60 is too much to chuck in the garbage.

Also, I bent the decapping rod in my effort and they are impossible to.find. Any reason a .416 Rem Mag wouldn't work?
    Switch to lee dies every set has a built in stuck case remover.

Worth every penny
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyboy View Post
    Don't think Lee makes a die set for 416 Ruger.

Banned
    Well ... did he get it un-stuck yet?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyboy View Post
    Most of my dies are Lee. The 416 came with a set of Redding Dies.

Also, I bent the decapping rod in my effort and they are impossible to.find. Any reason a .416 Rem Mag wouldn't work?
    I'm leaning towards de-priming everything that is going to get a cast boolit with a universal de-cap die first.

My steps are:
    Deprime

Full/neck size with no de-cap/neck size button installed

M-die for proper neck diameter/bell. I use Lyman M-die, Lee bell die,
    Lee with Noe plugs and custom M-dies from C-H depending on what is needed

Prime/charge case

seat bullet,

crimp with Lee collet crimp if I have the right size
    if not, use the seater die with the built in crimp

I try to avoid having to size with the decap stem in, makes it waaaaay easier to knock out a stuck case. I've never done that I've just heard about it through the grapevine

By not pulling the neck plug designed for jacketed bullets back up through the neck and using an M-die for sizing the neck I think I get better neck tension.

YMMV

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    Well ... did he get it un-stuck yet?

Kroil, a punch and a hammer, so yes i did!

Banned
    Kroil, a punch and a hammer, so yes i did!
    I thought the freezer method would work easiest

Last edited by GSP7; 04-18-2020 at 10:16 AM.