WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 whisper subsonic hunting boolits

Boolit Mold

300 whisper subsonic hunting boolits

Looking for some advice on which would be the best cast bullet to use in a 300 whisper
    For hunting that would expand
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Just a pure lead boolit that is 200 gr or heavier. That is what I use in my 308 for a subsonic boolit. Every barrel has a personality with CB's so you Weill just have to experiment.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for reply
    Stay safe

What weight and shape? I tested few in my .300BLK
    from 130grs to 220grs.

For cheap, Lee makes a 30 cal 200 grain mold that would expand decently with softer lead.

NOE Makes an HTC310-247 grain flat nose that would work well in 300 Blackout. The design can be had with hollow point pins, and would carry more energy at the same velocity.

If you want it really quite, you'll have to do a load workup to keep it under the speed of sound, so really the heavier the better.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Mould and alloy aren't the trick. Hitting something moving 2 ft in the time it takes the boolit to get there is the real challenge. Actually about 5' consider the time to decide to pull the trigger - 100 yd target. Then add the 9" drop if sighted @ 50.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Hmmm, the OP asked about the best bullet to use, not what hunting process won’t work. All subsonic rounds have the same limitation of time-to-target. The answer is simple - shoot at stationary targets or learn your bullet’s behavior. Imagine what archers have to contend with....

As others have stated, given the limited velocity then heavy bullets are the answer. They take less time to reach the target, they have more energy to expend on expansion, and most barrels are rifled to handle them. Soft lead and a large hollowpoint will help a lot.

I'm going to try the infamous Lyman 284 299. Would like to hear more about your subsonic 308 quilbilly for sure.

Boolit Master
    38 special,
    Which one: The 311284/215 gr round nose or the 311299/200gr semi pointed?
    And try to shoot it as fast as still accurate. Don't worry about it being subsonic
    beltfed/arnie

I've got both ones.

Think the 299 casts out to .316".

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for that

Boolit Mold
    Cheers

5% tin alloy will get you the expansion at slow speed. Heavy boolit just goes thru, not much expansion - takes fps to get it. 5-7gr of slow pistol powder will get it out of the barrel with a 'pop'. hp38 to cfe pistol. Will not cycle AR. Boolits take a LONGER time to target when slow. Hollow point on pure will just sluff off. Based on tests with snub 38sp. shot into water jugs. I did not do the tests but they are posted here. I did test 185gr 98/1/1 alloy on hog carcass @ ~1400 fps and did get some (minor) expansion.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Well I read all through and failed to read "what" you are going to hunt ??
    A wabbit does not need much penetration. A 250 pound well fed corn crunching is another beasty.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    I will be hunting deer and wild goats they are not heavy game
    This is why I was asking about expanding boolits for the 300 whisper
    I’m all new to this as we don’t have a lot of info on the whisper in Scotland or the uk to tell the truth
    All inf is greatly appreciated

Boolit Mold

Thanks for the reply’s

Thanks all for the reply’s
    Much appreciated

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...f=145&t=108125
    "The tools of the trade a semi custom bolt action Tikka T3 rebarreled with a 12” 1:7 with Ti suppressor topped with a Aimpoint comp M4 zeroed in for 60m.
    Ammo was 50 rounds of hand loaded subsonic Lehigh 168gr Controlled Fracturing for deer only.
    150 rounds 208gr ELD subsonics for feral goats.
    And 50 rounds of Nosler 125gr BT supersonics for both deer and goats."
    Seems like he just used lehigh subs but cast at that weight should do the same.
    8 gr of CFE pistol under a 145gr cast gives me 1350 fps,7 could get you sub with 170gr. Work down in charge!
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish 45-70 View Post
    I will be hunting deer and wild goats they are not heavy game
    This is why I was asking about expanding boolits for the 300 whisper
    I’m all new to this as we don’t have a lot of info on the whisper in Scotland or the uk to tell the truth
    All inf is greatly appreciated
    I'm sure you have verified your local legal requirements for hunting deer / goat.

Here in Finland we need a minimum 1700 Joules ( 1250 ftlbs) measured @ 100 meters for whitetail deer. And an expanding bullet,which a pure lead bullet is. That means the lightest possible subsonic bullet must weigh 550 grains. I used to have a suppressed 45-70 Marlin for that.

Using normal supersonic loads our rules mean a 243 or 30-30 are minimum deer legal,with expanding bullets again.

Legal or not,I personally would not shoot a whitetail with any 30 cal bullet @ 1000 fps. A roe deer maybe, they can be rabbit size.

Ive killed a lot more deer with hot 44special mild 44 magnum loads than I have with rifles. I have killed deer with 45 acp. Shot placement is key. Yes, a bigger hole , as well as a bigger caliber makes 'em " sicker quicker". But a 22 long rifle subsonic will kill a deer grave yard dead out to as far as it will penetrate one broadside. We tend to replace hunting with equipment. I've seen deer blown apart with more bloodshot meat through the shoulders than I would care to throw to the dogs. One fellow said " Half a deer is better than no deer", meaning he had rather anchor it in its tracks and lose some meat than risk losing the whole animal. There is another option. Don't shoot until you are sure you can anchor them. Sometimes you still lose them but not very often. I once saw a man shoot a deer with 300 Weatherby ( one of my favorite cartridges by the way.) he found literally a handful of meat and bones that the bullet blew out the side of the deer but we never found the deer, even with the dogs. I suspect he might have been able to hit that deer in the neck or head with a mild, suppressed cartridge and anchor it, where the 300 WBY was just too much gun for his skill set.

With that said, it looks like the Barnes or Lehigh bullets are tops for actually expanding in the Whisper/ blackout. I'm going to be working up some loads for a friend who is a suppressor manufacture. Just started cutting off some 5.56 Lake City brass today to get started case forming. I'm going to be working with coated boolits to see what effect coated cast will have on the suppressor. I want to work up a good cast hollow point that will be accurate and will give some expansion. I'll try to remember to post what I find here on this thread. I am no genius and 300blk/Whisper is already pretty well developed if you search the net for data. Its Hard to find all the data and info you need or want in one place but it is out there.

I admire the OP for wanting to use the equipment he has chosen. Puts hunting ( or stalking in Scotland) back in the game. I'm going to be doing a lot of hunting with the 300blk this season myself. I still love to shoot across the holler ( or canyon for non hillbillies) but I find myself more and more grabbing something that is "adequate" and honing my skills 'til adequate gets smaller. Best of luck to the OP. I'll share what I find out, again, if I remember. Good stalking!
    S.F.
    Last edited by docmagnum357; 04-19-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    For cheap, Lee makes a 30 cal 200 grain mold that would expand decently with softer lead.

NOE Makes an HTC310-247 grain flat nose that would work well in 300 Blackout. The design can be had with hollow point pins, and would carry more energy at the same velocity.

If you want it really quite, you'll have to do a load workup to keep it under the speed of sound, so really the heavier the better.
    If you buy the C 309 200 gr RN, buy it from Midway. The first two I bought dropped at .306 and .307. Midway took them back with no questions and sent me a third one that dropped .309 which goes .311 after powder coat. Good bullet if the mold drops big enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast