WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Components shortage?

Boolit Master

I added a new caliber to my stable a couple of weeks ago; .308. Horrible time to add a new caliber to load for. I had an AR-10 lower that I've been sitting on for a couple of years and never really had much use for an AR-10, but wanted one just the same. Saw the panic start and decided if I wanted to complete the rifle within the next year or so, I better get to it. So I ordered the upper.

Then I decided to start stocking up on ammo for it. Uh oh. Discovered that there was a run on components. I already had over a couple thousand primers since I already reloaded for .45-70, but I had no bullets or powder. Did some research and Varget was a powder that came highly recommended for the .308. Decided to go to the only LGS for 50 miles and get some.

Nope. Shut down due to the virus. No problem, there is a Sportsman's Warehouse 50 miles away. I'll just go online and reserve a couple of cans of it and pick them up on my next day off. Nope. None in stock.

I ended up paying $86 online to have some shipped to me. That was two week ago and I still don't have it.

But, I was able to find bullets for it online at my dad's buddy's website. I also found a bunch of brass for it as well. His company deals mostly in cast boolits and components for the old buffalo rifles, but he also has brass and bullets for traditional rifles. Plus, it's located about 70 miles North of me in Idaho. Found plenty of quality brass and fancy Hornady bullets at reasonable prices and no shipping delays. I also had a year's supply of lead sent to me as well...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/

So, I now have all the bullets I need, as well as brass and primers. Now, I just need the powder and some decent weather to see if I can get sub-moa groups out of my new rifle.

I was also able to buy a few boxes of factory loaded ammo in various flavors. My local Walmart got rid of all "assault rifle" and pistol ammo and components, yet still had .308 ammo and components. Morons. Picked up another few hundred primers from them and a couple of boxes of .308 last time I was there.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Yes there is a shortage , Yes there will be another shortage down the road , this repeats itself and those who do not stock up or have a good supply on hand will then start buying as will those who due to whatever current event or legislation started buying .

Probably Trumps fault , he seems to be the one to blame for everything , might even be the expected money that started the panic , free money I can stock up on powder and primers and bullets , or maybe its the fear that this is the expected zombie apocalypse , fear of rioting from the shortage of rear end paper , looting and bands of city people and spreading out into the wilds of america where they will be met by self sufficient backwoodsmen , who will then need to reload to repel the invasion , to keep the non mask wearers at bay from spreading the plague . Thus preserving their hoard of toilet paper , and keeping the american way safe for all of us who did not understand it was for the children .

Sorry I could not resist a little humor , but I have said it months ago that then was the time to add to your powder and primers as prices were good rebates were available and an election was coming .

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    ......... I have said it months ago that then was the time to add to your powder and primers as prices were good rebates were available and an election was coming .
    I got in on the tail of that warning, thanks for the trumpet call!

Right now the ammo manufactures are full capacity and keeping the primers for themselves until they are caught up with ammo demands . Many retailers are saying with all the new shooters buying guns for their first time ammo is screaming off the shelves, more $ in ammo .

Banned

Local commercial reloader I just talked to got a 1.5 million round 556 order. Same for 9mm

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, unfortunately there is another shortage going on.

I got caught in one of the shortages years ago and learned to stay stocked up. I went from trying to keep a years worth of stock to keeping 2 election cycles worth. I was young then and couldn't afford to buy that many components at once. I just made it a point to add to my stash on a regular basis.

I have no desire to have a lifetime supply of powder and primers. 8 years worth is enough! Primers and powder have a very long shelf life if stored properly but powder will go bad. But I do have a lifetime supply of lead and probably brass.

Boolit Master
    This is OLD news. Powder Valley sent out an email over a month ago saying orders were up "10 fold" and there would be delays.

I started reloading during a shortage and got skooled. I don't stock as many components as I used to but if I keep shooting as much as I did last month, what I got will last forever. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Can someone define "lifetime"?? 30 seconds or _____ years? Since I cast, I am good for my "lifetime" (and likely my kids as well).
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    Can someone define "lifetime"?? 30 seconds or _____ years? Since I cast, I am good for my "lifetime" (and likely my kids as well).
    It's no different than your retirement funds. A lifetime supply the amount required for your anticipated need.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

A lifetime supply of lead for a .32 shooter probably isn't the same as for a .45-70 shooter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    No, its just a figure of speech.

Big difference between hoarding and being prepared. At 63 years old, a lifetime supply is not a problem. Maybe living here in Cuomo’s NYS makes one a little more interested in having the things I need to make my guns go bang. As far as talk causing shortages goes, I doubt anyone on Castboolits needs me to tell them the situation.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    All the people that built their stash's are not the ones out panic buying now.
    Ain’t that the truth. I don’t know when the last time I bought components was. I am ride this wave out. Same thing for a 22lr shortage. I’m no longer shooting a brick or two a week so what I have will last me quite a while.

I can apply the same buying strategies to food. I don’t need to go the grocery store for anything besides items that don’t last long. Like fresh vegetables and OJ. There’s a lot of panic buying going on here and it’s hard to buy anything I truly want. Couldn’t buy tortillas today. Apparently everyone wanted Taco Tuesday as much as I did . Sadly I’ve been trying to buy them for around 9 days and there’s never any on the shelf.

Boolit Master
    I have a buddy that placed an order for small rifle primers. 3 weeks ago. After checking on the order we took a road trip and got some just in case. After explained to us that he paid $42 per 1000, he was out and needed them for loading orders and supplier was out. Over 3 dollars a 1000 they weren't going to wait, so took a drive. Now have enough to do some shooting and work on loads. Only thing I paid too much for last shortage was 22's they just came down to that 20 ish mark and now heading right back up. I like have enough ammo to practice and go hunting.

Some of the true hoarders, the ones that by a pallet full to resale are going to make it hard to place an order. Glad most stop that with buying limits. Ammo just like TP.

Boolit Man
    I'm still finding a fair amount of powder and primers locally. Hopefully this is short lived and not a repeat of the 2012 ammo/component drought.

Boolit Master
    I haven't even looked for components in the last year or so. I quit buying because I believe I have for me a lifetime supply of lead, bullets, powder, primers, cases and 22lr ammo. I don't buy during the shortage times. If I can't find a component for a particular round, I just shoot something else. During 22lr shortages I shot a lot of 22H, 22KH, 223 and 25/20 with cast boolits although a could have shot as much 22lr as I wanted because of buying in times of plenty. I started reloading about 55years ago and was caught a bit short on primers early in my loading hobby. It hasn't happened since and I don't believe it will happen to me again. There will be shortages again, get prepared when things return to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I bet the gunshow vendors have component stock...but the virus has shut down the gunshows.
    If you are aware of any local gunshow vendors, give them a call.
    ^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^ But only call the vendors that dont look at you like you're the last chick out of the bar and in the parking lot at 2:01am...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I haven't even looked for components in the last year or so. I quit buying because I believe I have for me a lifetime supply of lead, bullets, powder, primers, cases and 22lr ammo. I don't buy during the shortage times. If I can't find a component for a particular round, I just shoot something else. During 22lr shortages I shot a lot of 22H, 22KH, 223 and 25/20 with cast boolits although a could have shot as much 22lr as I wanted because of buying in times of plenty. I started reloading about 55years ago and was caught a bit short on primers early in my loading hobby. It hasn't happened since and I don't believe it will happen to me again. There will be shortages again, get prepared when things return to normal.
    This could have been written by me word for word. I started almost 60 years ago now with an old uncle as my mentor. His first teaching to me were stay stocked up on components. He described to me what things were like in WW11, Korea, and I was gone in the 60s to fulfill my obligation with Uncle Sam so I don't know what things were like back home. I never forgot his words of wisdom.

Stopped at one shop. They were out of most powders. All I could get was a lb. of 2400 and some small pistol primers. That was a couple weeks ago....Stopped at another shop a week ago and they let me get two 50 rd. boxes of 9mm, that was all...Stopped today at another shop. Got two boxes of 100 count small pistol magnum primers, which was all they had. Got a lb. of Unique, which made me happy, and they had no 9mm ammo.

You can criticize people who are concerned about the direction things are going and are trying to stockpile, but to me the concern is valid. We all know the other political party is going to shut down as much shooting related business as possible. They're not bashful about saying so. And I never dreamed I wouldn't be able to buy flour and toilet paper at the local grocery store or walmart, but that's the current situation. I'm concerned, and I'm buying up what I can...

Boolit Master

Most places around here sell little to no reloading stuff powder well sportsmans has a list you could look at or did I was not interested in looking , I agree the concern is valid as there will be a shortage unlike any we have ever seen if the demorats get more seats or bidet gets in office , stock up if you can , practice your shooting and good luck