MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Components shortage?

Reading this makes it sound like owning commercial ammo would be a good hedge against inflation.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Mold
    I stopped at my lgs today. They had a decent selection of powder. They had a good supply of primers. Not much CCI, but they had winchester and federal. I picked up an 8lb jug of H110.

Local Cabelas in Louisville has empty shelves. Local trap shooting range has been out of small pistol primers for awhile and some powder. Just secured from a private seller 8 lbs. of H4895 for my CMP M1 Garand matches at $160 and no tax or shipping.

Go to Mid South and see ammo, bullets and other components are out of stock. We may be in for another ride for a bit.

There seems to be plenty of powder available. Local shops still have a small selection but Grafs and Powder Valley have plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    There seems to be plenty of powder available. Local shops still have a small selection but Grafs and Powder Valley have plenty.
    Sure, just try to find primers.

I am testing out a percussion cap making kit. Will try the test batch of 9 caps Saturday. Not a panacea, but any port in a storm.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Went to an actual Gun Show today in Roanoke, VA . Masks required/etc. No reloading guys there, was some scattered small amounts of bullets and powders but not the go to stuff. Cheapest 9mm was $29/50 ! Took an M1 carbine(Inland) for sale or trade, no deals made. Tried to swap a dealer mine and boot for an IBM 'cause I don't have an IBM, but he wanted more boot than I would go . So it came home and goes back with it's twins in the safe. Did find some AR components I needed for "inventory" . Shoulda just saved the 11 bucks and ate a good breakfast !

Moderator Emeritus

I met another castboolits member at a gunshow today.
    I found some Federal large Pistol Primers, paid $25 for all he had (1100).
    He had 7 or 8 (1000 count bricks) of Fed sm Rifle primers, I didn't need any so I didn't buy any, those were $25 each.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I need to dig through my inventory to see what I've got left. I've got a couple thousand once fired 5.56 brass sitting idle that needs to be put together.

Boolit Buddy
    Despite all the 'hard to find' laments, the ammo and components that I have offered for sale at pre-pandemic prices is still setting in my residence. Yeah, there are the lowball offers but those are and will be politely ignored. So if you find something at a decent price get it and use it.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    While cruising the internet yesterday I noticed the Lee loadmaster's are all sold out as well as primers except for some 209s at 4 different companies I ordered from , so I expect there are going to be some frustrated first time reloaders out there in the near future .
    I'm not knocking the loadmaster I have one and use it often , I wonder if the other progressive loaders are available .

Boolit Master
    I checked online for primers today. I still have plenty of small pistol and rifle, but they are hard to find.
    Things are certainly messed up for now.

Boolit Master
    I was in Sportsman's Warehouse (Provo Utah) on Monday. The ONLY primers in the store were a few boxes of 209 shotgun primers, and a few boxes Federal Match LPP. No small pistol or small rifle of any brand. A week earlier I bought the last 1K of small pistol magnum (Winchester) of any small pistol primers in the store.

Boolit Mold
    I'm new to reloading and right now, I can't find small pistol primers anywhere. I have some 9mm brass, powder and boolits... All dressed up with no place to go... Stan

Boolit Master

I stopped at my LGS today. And grabbed an 8 lbs jug of titegroup. I called 1st. I started using copper plated bullets. And want to save on using what i like for cast.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I stopped at my LGS today. And grabbed an 8 lbs jug of titegroup..
    8 pounds of Titegroup is gonna last a looong time.....

Boolit Buddy
    Everything is in super short supply. The combination of a pandemic, social unrest, and the near certainty of election of the most anti-gun ticket in history are driving demand like no time I can remember. Worse than the primer scare of the 90's...Worse than 2008...Worse than post Sandy Hook. Shops around here have been picked clean. My last order from Bayou took 6 weeks to be filled. I get in-stock notifications from Midway and SG, and they're sold out by the time I can get logged in and navigate to their pages. It's insane.

It's not going to get better any time soon. If you need stuff, check your LGS regularly, set stock notifications online, and be quick with your mouse...Get what you can and plan on sweeping, draconian, gun control legislation in 2021.

A bit late to be stocking up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

During the last 'shortage' I hadn't been reloading for quite some time. My brother and I had amassed several thousand cases of 40 S&W just from shooting quarterly to maintain our off-duty weapons. Time came to reload and it was early 2009 and so that was NOT the time to stock up. My brother's son-in-law saw primers, at 50 bucks a thousand. Ouch, but he bought them. Powder we had, Dad gave us 10 or 12 lbs of Unique, and a cousin gave us 8 lbs of Red Dot.

As components became more available, we started building up inventory. I don't want to say how many rounds got loaded but the axis of the earth's rotation shifted slightly due to ammo being stored. Although I cast a lot of rounds to load all the empties I don't know how many hundreds of pounds of lead purchased. Today, everything has been loaded except about 3 coffee cans of empties fired in the last few years. This is a mix of 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 SP, .223, and 45 ACP. No rush, I have plenty.

Also, I stocked up on powder and primers some time ago knowing that an election season would be upon us. Now is not the time to try and start stocking up. I use the same basic powders which are Unique, Bullseye, 4227, all bought in 8 lb jugs. When trying a new powder or loading limited run, I buy 1 lb jugs. Limited means hunting rounds with lead free ammo. I haven't hunted in years but wanted to have loads ready in case I wanted to hunt with a buddy in Northern CA, but (for now) don't need lead free in Colorado. I'd rather hunt with my cast boolits and those are fed with 4227 for .223, 300 BO, .308, and 30-06.

I guess I'm saying I have plenty to hold me until the madness subsides. Then I will go back to buying 8 lb jugs, and primers 5K at a time. For those just starting, or running low, I can spare some for my local friends. The only thing I neglected was components for shotgun which for me is a pretty low priority, but still on my list.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Stopped at the only LGS in the area for 50 miles to check on inventory. Plenty of rifles and pistols in any flavor you want (except for the .22 mag revolver I was interested in). No one at the gun counter buying a firearm, which is a first for the past 3-4 months.

Still no 9mm, .40 S&W, or 5.56 ammo.

Still no primers other than large rifle.

Still no bullets in .355 or .401 of any type.

Powder was available with a couple of pistol flavors back in stock. I picked up a can of 4895 for my .308 to try out.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Things are so tight that I have an FFL offering to trade me a pistol for 9MM ammo, 556 ammo, or some primers. I am tempted to go through my stash and see what I don't shoot or need and list it locally on armslist simply to thin out stuff that doesn't work for me and get some folding money. I imagine the case of green tip 5.56 I will probably never shoot would bring a chunk of change.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast