RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website for cheap powder??

Boolit Bub

Website for cheap powder??

Hello I was wondering if anyone had a website that offered rifle powder at a good price. I used to have a connection with a guy that would sell me all Hodgdon powders for $10-12 dollars per lb of powder and it was a great deal. Stocked up 50lbs of pistol and only 10lbs of rifle. Well I shot threw it and now id like to get any cheap powder to load .223 range ammo. Not looking for a super great load. I was looking into brownells but everything seems expensive.

Boolit Master
    Do a advice search for military surplus powder . You will find some .

Boolit Master

in bulk at powder valley, or try looking up "shooters world" and see who carries that
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    You will not find powder at those prices
    Don Verna

Bartlett reloading, limited surplus powder, brass and projectiles, pretty cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    American reloading for surplus

Cheap, no, less than brick and mortar stores, yes.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Buy in bulk, couple of 8 lb caddies and several thousand primers takes the sting out of hazmat.

H4895 is 30$ a pound.

Alliant Red Dot 8 lb caddy is 164$ or 20.5$ per pound with shipping and hazmat probably looking at 23$ per pound depending on quantity and what else you buy.

The good news is I have yet to find a round that Red Dot won't work in, most of which are in the 4-6 grain range. Which is downright thrifty compared to full loads of slow rifle powder. The bad news is it won't push a bullet as fast, may not cycle a semi auto rifle action. Does fine in my pistol caliber carbines but does not cycle the SKS.

So you have options, just need to decide which is going to work best for you.

Boolit Master

Surplus powder will be the cheapest, but it come with their own cautions. At the end of the day you will only save $3-$4 a lb over commercial. I just buy in bulk from Powder Valley. Good luck finding cheap powder now, or in the next 3 months.

I have had good luck working up a j word load for ar's with surplus powder obtained from bartlett (gibrass.com). $109 per 8 pounds plus shipping and hazmatt.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You will not find powder at those prices
    He won’t find powder anywhere near those prices. Powder Valley and Jeff Bartlett are the best options. May make out better if one of the other retailers is having a sale. Some of them run little to no hazmat fees when you spend a certain amount.

W/ the email I received from Powder Valley about delays due to overwhelming demand I’d expect high prices and limited options for the foreseeable future.

Boolit Master
    I'm still using powder purchased during the Obama administration purchased at scalpers price , but in a month or so it will probably seam like I got a good price .
    Be safe

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ivanfern View Post
    Hello I was wondering if anyone had a website that offered rifle powder at a good price. I used to have a connection with a guy that would sell me all Hodgdon powders for $10-12 dollars per lb of powder and it was a great deal. Stocked up 50lbs of pistol and only 10lbs of rifle. Well I shot threw it and now id like to get any cheap powder to load .223 range ammo. Not looking for a super great load. I was looking into brownells but everything seems expensive.
    Sadly for your request, the last two years were the time to buy cheap powder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Surplus powder will be the cheapest, but it come with their own cautions. At the end of the day you will only save $3-$4 a lb over
    commercial. I just buy in bulk from Powder Valley. Good luck finding cheap powder now, or in the next 3 months.
    Your $3-$4 a lb saving is not accurate.

For a 16 lb purchase, milsurp (WC-844 or WC 846) at Fedarm will have a delivered price of $15.375 per pound.

Powder valley is out of stock for both BLC(2) and H-335 but lists the powder at $170.50 for 8 lbs. The delivered price of $23.556 per lb for a 16 lbs order is an increase of $8.18 per pound.

There is no chance I will ever buy a commercial H-335 or BLC(2) burn rate powder again as long a milsurp equivalents can be found.

Given the dropping powder availability at many sources, it looks like people have started stocking up in case Trump does not get re-elected. Anyone that wants cheap 223 powder may want to act now and get enough to last 10 years. I am very tempted to place a 32 lb order now.

https://americanreloading.com/en/264-gunpowder

https://fedarm.com/product-category/...onents/powder/

https://www.redeyereloading.com/?pro...t_type=product

Edit 4:34 pm:

Fedarm's website is misleading, they had nothing in stock. I did order 32 lb of WC 844 from Redeye.

Again, if you want to stock up, you should probably act fast.
    Last edited by P Flados; 04-06-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you too all who responded. Should have jumped on the opportunity I had while it was available to me. Messaged the guy but no response.

Boolit Bub
    Can you specifiy which poder you buy from GIBRASS? WC857 or WC860?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have had good luck working up a j word load for ar's with surplus powder obtained from bartlett (gibrass.com). $109 per 8 pounds plus shipping and hazmatt.
    Can you specifiy which poder you buy from GIBRASS? WC857 or WC860?

Boolit Master

For 223 google around and look for wc 844 or wc 846 there is still some , gunbroker has some also , those that gibrass has are to slow unless you want to duplex and do load work up , there are threads on that here . I bought a batch of the wc844 when it was available from gibrass , I buy shooters world powder for other calibers as they usually are a bit cheaper , imr red and target at grafs are 119 a 8 lb jug but there free haz mat offer is over , natchezz had shooters world heavy pistol for 112 a 8lb jug but its out now , if I had needed a h110 style powder that was best buy in a long time , the imr red and target will replace my promo and bullseye as they are out of stock or more costly , without people listing what state they are in it is harder to point to a local source or share supplies or group buy to reduce shipping and haz mat. thumbcocker was probably talking about wc844 though wc842 and wc846 were also available at times

Boolit Master
    For 223, It looks like there are actually 3 milsurp choices currently available.

WC-844 (same as H-335) was designed for use in the 5.56 with a 55 gr bullet.

WC-846 is a little slower burning. It will work with 55 gr bullets, but is probably more appropriate if you want to shoot heavies.

There is also some WC-842 being sold on Gun Broker. It is supposed to load about the same as WC-844, but includes additives that make it better (or so they say).

Although I have purchased a couple of batches of WC-844 from Jeff Bartlet (GIBRASS), he is now out of any suitable 223 powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Website for cheap powder??

WC-844 is equivalent to H335
    WC-846 is equivalent to BL-C2

Posting this so there is no confusion to equivalencies. The listings on Gunbroker state their equivalencies in the descriptions.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 04-12-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Bartlett said my lot of WC844 is equal to H335.
    I bought a few years ago...dale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast