Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
PBcastco Wideners
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

Thanks Rocky and JH looks like I am going to have lots of fun tinkering with these loads. Now time to slug some barrels. Boon

Boolit Man
    I use 10 Unique in 45-70 for a pumpkin roller fun plinker. A tuft of polyester makes it more accurate.

Banned
    [QUOTE=bcp477;433238] One could certainly assert that Unique is as "universal" a cast bullet powder as one can find - but, it's usefulness IS limited to very light loads. If one wishes to hunt anything larger than a rabbit....or do any target shooting much beyond 100 yards, then Unique is NOT a good choice.

No desire to "split hairs", but I just thought it important to qualify the concept of the "universal" powder for cast shooting.[/
    QUOTE]

Too many forget what our forefathers were able to kill a deer regularly with I spose.

32/20, 32/40, 38-56, 22LR and the 22WMR have been the tool of the deed in alot of venison making in my neck of the woods over the ages. One should go and compare the ballistics of them with that of "the load".

BTW 8grs of unique in a 30/30 flatnose will pretty much split a hare right in half if taken amidshps. You must have some tough rabiit/hare/deer in your area. Personally I have yet to see one of them kevlar coats on a whitetail.

Boolit Master

Marlin Guide Gun
    45-70
    350 gr Ranch Dog .460" diameter
    LLA/JPW dip lubed
    15 gr Unique
    50 yards.

Now of course, this is the only group I've shot with that load, so it may be a fluke.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

One of my very favorite and fun loads to shoot is the Lee 311-100-2R sized to .310 over 9 gr Unique in a Krag. Very light load and plenty accurate out to 100 yrds or so. I have no idea how fast its going, but it bet it's no slouch.

You guys shooting the .45-70 with 10 gr Unique and a 450 gr cast, would that load be suitable for a trap door or a Remington rolling block? I'm always very very conservative with loads for these things, but I've been thinking of trying the Unique load in them.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Maby not Universal, but a good starting point-

In the past year, I've had to start shooting 4 old, but new-to-me rifles, all with cast boolits-- Calibers 30-30 (2 of 'em), 35Rem, and 38-55. You might say I appreciate well-seasoned calibers-- Anyway, after considerable research, in my extensive library of loading manuals, data, texts, etc, gathered over the past 40years of loading, I came up with the conclusion that a great starting load for each rifle was exactly 10.0 grains of Unique-- In each case, it worked out just great! Couldn't ask for anything simpler--
    Unique has always been my "go-to" powder, in cast boolit rifle, revolver, and shotgun (I shoot mostly 28gauge, where it works very well). Yes, Unique (the old stuff) is a bit dirty, but I need to clean the guns after shooting anyway---
    Unique is exactly what the name says--- believe it!

358wcf

Boolit Master

6.5x55 Swede m/38 @ 50 yds.
    10.5 grs Unique
    Lyman 140 gr 266469 .266".

As much as I like Unique I'm also going to work more with 700X and Reddot. I've had some really good initial results with 700X.

Boolit Buddy
    i wonder about this in 762x39 with 125gr lead GC and 312 155 2r lee

Cast Boolits Owner

Thank you Rocky and Lloyd for pointing out that this load is not for everything. When I started this thread I was thinking strickly common rifles, not magnum rifles although it may work there too and pistols were totally off the radar even though members have shown there are possibly some calibers that can use this load.
    In the end there is no substitute for hard data from manuals or a call to the powder manufacturer for advice.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    !0 grains of unique would be safe with any midsized rifle cartridge and any reasonable boolit. If it turned out to be the best load for that powder/boolit combination it would be a statistical anomaly.

There is no universal load. There is no universal load for 150 grain Lee flat nosed GC boolits fired in late model Marlin 336 in federal brass using Winchester LRP. Some of them will prefer a different load. The more you narrow it down the fewer exceptions but you still have to do the legwork.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Buddy

10GR of Unique in my BB94 375 is the most accurate load I have found, low recoil but at 100yds it makes a metal plate really dance.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Willbird and I once figured that 8gr Unique would safely work in most firearms. We looked up a bunch. Like has been said the 30-06 class needing more to burn efficiently. We went to Clays as it burned cleaner and was cheaper 10 - 15 years ago. One of the first loading manuals I ever had was a 1940's Lyman. It had Unique loads for about every caliber listed. I have burned a lot in my .45 acp's with great results.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    The wife's Winny 1885 38-55 is really fond of 9 grains of Unique under a LEE 250 gr slug. It gives 1200 FPS and sub 1" groups at 100 yards. I have not found as good of accuracy in my Browning 1885 45-70 with Unique. However, 13 grains and the Lyman 405 gr gives a pleasant shooter and about 21/2" at 100 yards. The most accurate plinker load I have yet to find for the Browning is 29 gr of 4198 under the Lyman 405gr. That gives consistent 1" groups at 100 yards. I have not yet measured that loads velocity.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    I got a new 03-A3 Remington and 10gr of Unique with a 185gr LEE boolit, with the sights set at 6 produced the last 15 shots here in 1.75" at 50 yds.
    Not to shabby for a old rifle 1944, and a older shooter, by five years that is having to shoot left handed due to sight gone in right eye.
    Last edited by Freightman; 04-29-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    6 grains of unique does my .45 acp happy.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master

20 grs. under a .459" 500 gr. GC bullet is a great shooter in my .460 Weatherby Magnum chambered Ruger #1H.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Grand Master
    Freightman :

I'd say that is pretty dog gone good shooting considering the conditions you've just described ! !

Ben

Boolit Master
    I really have to work at it where I didn't use to when my eye worked. I bruised myself a lot learning how to position the rifle left handed, but the funny thing about it I actually have tightened some groups because I have to pay so close attention. Now I haven't got fast fire down at all.

Unique is a great all around powder. All these loads are very fun and accurate.

454 Casull 255gr RNFP 9-11gr in Puma 92 Levergun. I just got a 275gr .452 LFN mould for the 454 Puma 92. first loads will probably be 10gr Unique. 45 Colt loads shoot well in my Puma 92 454 levergun as well.

For handguns- 44mag 240gr Keith 8gr Unique, 45 Colt 255gr RNFP 8-9gr, 45 Colt 200gr SWC 7-8gr, 38spc 150gr rn and swc, 4-5gr Unique, 158gr SWCHP 5-5.5gr. "FBI Load".
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-12-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Banned

I am about to load some reduced loads for my son to shoot in his .308. I've done this a lot in the '06, .303 Brit and 7.62x54, not so much in the .308.

I am going to start with some Lyman # 311413s I had around and ten grains of Unique or SR7625. I also have some Herco. Anybody have any thoughts on one being better than the others?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast