RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load?

Boolit Grand Master
    RugerBob, Unique is relatively position insensitive. So the airspace doesn't matter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Now who would this buddy be? Hmm??? lol
    stop followin me.
    besides mom told you to stay home!

Boolit Master
    I get spreading groups with anything over 8.5 grains of Unique and a 120 grain boolit in the 30-30. I get fantastic accuracy in .30-06 with 11.5 grains and a 150 grain boolit and 12.5 grains with a 175 boolit. 12 grains in the .444 with a 200 grain boolit. 12.5 grains in the .35 Remington. I've grown quite fond of the stuff.

Your results may vary!

Boolit Buddy
    10 grains of Unique, with a 250pb is a favorite plinking load of mine in the 38-55. It will duplicate the current Winchester factory ammo velocity of around 14-1450fps in my Marlin Cowboy.

10gr in my .44 mags with a 429421 make it something I can reach out at 200 yards and hit a 12" gong with all day with no wear on me or the gun

11gr in my .44 mags and 429421 is what I would carry if I was up against something big. Its faster and abusive to me but it does hit a lot harder. Harder to control if you shoot more than 150 rounds in one sitting you really start to notice it.

80% of my .44mag shooting is done with the 10Gr load and the Keith bullet
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold
    10 grs of Unique has worked very well for me in my BSA Australian Cadet Rifle I rebarreled to 30-30 AI & a 175 gr cast boolet. I used it for a while in my S&W 44 mag as well, but it's a filthy powder & I was coated with soot up past my elbows every time as well as my pistol needed to be torn all the way down & cleaned frequently to prevent jamming.

Banned

got to watch generalizations. Theres no such thing as a majic load that works in everything. For an example in a 44 mag its a good load with about any bullet weight. In the 45 colt your pushing the envelope in colt and smiths even with a 255 grain bullet. change that to a large framed ruger and your ok again. In a 44 special its not a safe load with any bullet weight. When you get into the bigger cases like the linebaughs and smiths it should work again. Now in rifles. Ill use it in some but not all. I dont go much about 8 in a small case like a 3030 but in a case as big as say a 308 it works fine. Rugerbob ive shot unique in 4570 brass and even bigger cases with no filler for years and never saw a need to use it. Now in the 44 mag and strong 45 colts it may seem strange but 9.5 grains has usually shot better then 10 for me. It kind of a standard load for me. Another one with 44 mags and 45 colts is 9.3 grains of herco. That is my go to load in the 45 colt. It is down in pressure from the 10 grain of unique enough that it doesnt wear on weaker guns.

Boolit Master
    8.5 grains of Unique behind a 210 grain Lyman boolit fired thru a Taurus Tracker is possibly the most accurate round that I have ever fired thru any revolver. During the last 45 years I have probably shot more Unique than all other powders combined. It may be dirty and not the easiest to measure but it has been around since handloading began and their is certainly a good reason. Neil

Boolit Master
    Whoops! I neglected to state that the above entry was ffor the 41 magnum cartridge. I stand abashed! Neil

omark 308

Hi!
    Unique shot good in my old Omark with Lyman 311332/295 mold with 14 grn
    Will shoot 1/2inch groops at 100m all day.
    I wanted to put pictures of the groops but cannot work out how to do it.
    Cheers, John.

PS: I worked out the uploading pictures, thanks to HABCAN.
    I'll dig some more pictures and load tests on 45/70 later.

HERE IS 9 SHOTS FROM MY OLD OMARK WITH A WORN OUT BARREL AT A 100 M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails res.jpg  
    Last edited by john66; 01-12-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john66 View Post
    I wanted to put pictures of the groops but cannot work out how to do it.

Do you have an account with a site such as photobucket?

Boolit Mold
    Marlin 30/30 Micro-groove barrel.
    10 grs. Unique, 165 gr. commercial bullet,plain base(no gas check). Extra lubed with Liquid Alox( very light coat)
    Accurate,fun to shoot and no leading in the Micro-Groove barrel.

Well I got quite a few sample boolits from 3 different forums I could not believe the response I got. I offered up a trade and only one fella wanted to try something I had ( Alladin). What a great bunch of cast shooters. I have 8 lbs of gifted Unique so I am work these up in the Marlin 336w of the grandsons. He will learn good on this rifle with light loads as he is 5 so in a couple years we shall be ready. He is pretty good with the Daisy Buck allready. I will buy a mold or three for this when we find the sweet ones. Steve

It surprises people to hear (and some will not believe it) but Hercules made and advertised Unique as intended for reduced and gallery loads in rifles. That's absolutely true. I have copies of the loading pamphlets and have seen powder cans with that claim printed right on them.

That was unknown to me some 30 years ago when cobbled up my first reduced loads using Unique in my 308 Win. I was delighted with the results then, and have remained so ever since. I even wrote an article on it called "The Universal 30 Load."

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_f...ersal%2030.htm

Lloyd Smale is correct that there are no truly "universal" loads, due to the almost extreme spread of case volumes, bullet weights and gun strengths. I personally think that 10.0 Unique is too hot a load for the 45 Colt for all but the very lightest bullets. But I'm a rather cautious reloader.

Boolit Master

I think Unique is a great powder I use it for shotguns and for my 45 Colt loads. For Cast Rifle loads though I prefer 2400 as a "Universal Powder" I load for 30/30, 7.5 Swiss and 45/70 all using 2400.
    Last edited by jh45gun; 03-19-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Rocky thanks that is a great article and website. It is nice that folks like you share your experiences and knowledge. Speaking of 30 cal do you think this will do well in my m38 762x54 and 8mm as a start load. JH I think I have some 2400 down in the cabinet to give a try. Steve

Boolit Buddy
    My "standard" load in military bottlenecked cartridges from 6.5 Carcano to 8X57mm is a 1.3cc Lee dipper of Unique and whatever cast bullet I happen to have handy.

Several (very tasty) Coast Blacktail deer have died honorable deaths due to lead poisoning administered with .303 British caliber rifles loaded with this load and an as cast, tumble lubed, non checked wheelweight alloy 311299. These were administered at ranges as close as ten and as far as 75 yards. I've also snipped the heads off several grouse and ventilated some bunnies with it.

I propose that this qualifies it as a game load. The same load is equally effective in .30-06, 7.65 Arg. Mauser and .308 Win. (For .30-30 I drop to 1cc.) I never owned an Arisaka, but have no doubt it would be as good in that as well.

This load would make little clusters of holes I could cover with my palm at 50 yds from my $19.95 (1964) M91 Arg. Mauser long rifle with issue sights.

Universal cast Boolit load? Damn near.

Gerry N.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Here's a new one.
    Marlin 336CR
    30-30win
    55gr cast bullet loaded in sabot
    10.0gr Unique
    2400fps, 30fps deviation. Tested by Gunarea on CBA forum.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boondocker, yes. Your 7.62x54 meets all the necessary provisos. You can use either the 13.0 RedDot or 10-12 Unique loads and be fine. If you can get enough bullet tension, you can even use those little Plinker bullets in it. They are soft enough to bump up nicely. I know several folks who use them in .310" 7.62x39 with quite good results.

Boolit Master

Boondocker I am shooting 17 grains of 2400 in the 30/30 with a 170/180 grain cast bullet 20 grains in the 7.5x55 with the same bullet. I used 20 grains in 308 when I had a 308 barrel for my Enocre same bullet and I use 25 grains for my 45/70 and a 405 grain cast bullet.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast