Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Portuguese model 1886 kropatschek

Boolit Master

Portuguese model 1886 kropatschek

What are you shooting in your Kropatschek rifles?
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the Lee #90775 - 207 Gr. RN Sized .329" and the Lee Old Feller 225 Gr. FN Sized .329" over IMR 4198

Boolit Mold
    I use the NOE 340-231-AL1 because my throat was so large and it shoots nicely over imr 4895. At the original velocity it actually matches up to the sights fairly well.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the information.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Remember when you could buy those direct through the mail? I wish I'd had the foresight to get a couple. I did buy a Siamese Mauser for $18 but that's a different story.
    I'd love to see pics of your Krops!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When I had a krop I slugged the barrel and figured I'd need a bullet diameter of .333 to be able to shoot. Many of the Rpotugese cartridges dated from the last century and time wasn't good for them. Mostly cracked becks. You could pull the bullets out with your fingers. I did take a few that looked good and shot them at an old tree stump just to see if 100 something cartridges would actually fire. I was 3 for three as all cartridges went bang. But being on the sunny side of 100 all necks split open. So endeth that little expriment. Rifle and the remaining cartridges went down the road with full disclosure. Along with 100 Winchester 348 new cases. Frank

Mine slugged .328, a .329 would have been good but I couldn’t find a heavy enough. 255 gr was original. So I shot around .325s but never got the accuracy. That and it shot high and I used BP. Fun but no cigar.

Boolit Buddy

The Kropa is a permit gun to me so i tried looking one up worth the effort.

While metal, hardparts and furniture was in absolute prime condition the stock was REAL dinged up and carried a very grey hue.
    Steamed most of the dings out and hit the thing with oxalic acid.
    in the pic just one layer of linseed, it has darkened up considerable due the applied layers since but sure looks a TON better than did.

Currently working on bedding the barrel. Nope... no two comp epoxy or similar just making sure the barrel is as free floating as it can be.
    In turn handed the trigger some attention, which made it come out rather well actually. What i did was install a small set screw...
    As you take the action out of the stock there´s a semi small... thick flat spring that keeps the trigger in place. It´s held in place with a screw and what i did was remove that and kept drilling through where that screw resides so i got me a through hole (3,2mm).
    Then just tapped it M4 and done deal. As the thing gets hidden by the flat spring screw it tells about nothing but.. by turning that screw in i adjust sear engagement, which makes for a world of difference.
    Slop developed i just put a small coil spring in there and voila, we had ourselves a two stage jobbie.

Haven´t gotten around to slug the thing yet and am still waiting for dies. Got a couple of boxes of 348Win brass standing around awaiting its turn.

Plan to run the thing "both on leaded and unleaded fuel". Ie; run duplex blackpowder loads and in turn smokeless. Bullets in turn, we´ll see..
    Have bought the generic LEE mold but that aside we also CNC cut our own so.. jury´s still out on that one.

Summary though is that i hope for a rather flat and well shooting old black powder smoke pole. Why so set on duplex is cause i know it works and black powder remnants gets old in a hurry.. FWIW i plan on a 10% such for starters using regular Norma 200.

Boolit Buddy

348Win Winchester brass. Very simple to reshape to what´s needed. Takes an easy 70 grains of black, and will hold a grease cookie at that no doubt.